Start by marking “Flowers In The Rain: & Other Stories” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,127 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Rosamunde Pilcher...

She makes you laugh...
She makes you cry...
She takes you to a world of hope and romance...
And into the lives of people you'll never forget.
She's Rosamunde Pilcher,
America's most beloved storyteller...
And this is her gift to you.
Published July 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Flowers In The Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers In The Rain

Jessika
Nov 28, 2009 Jessika rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessika by: Mimi
Rosamunde Pilcher has just become one of my new favorite authors. This is the first book of hers I've read, and not to use a cliche (I'm going to anyway), but her writing is so comfortable. It's cozy, like curling up in my favorite big comfy chair with a steaming cup of tea. She paints perfect pictures for her readers so they can envision the scenery she describes. She writes about everything that is familiar and welcoming about the different seasons and settings. "A Walk in the Snow" and "Skate ...more
Donna
Sep 06, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her . I always feel like I have had a cup of tea and heard a good story from an old friend.
Apr 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of short stories, many of which Rosamunde wrote for Good Housekeeping magazine in the 1950's. They take you back to a time where true love could be found in a look or holding of hands.

This is so Brittish in writing that a cuppa tea and a biscuit should accompany the reader to a pretty garden to read.

Abosolutely loved it refreshing for a change.
Linda
Dec 21, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this collection of short stories several times. I would love to live in one of Rosamunde Pilcher's Scottish or Cornish villages. The stories explore universal themes like love and marriage, friendship, birth, death, and dreams coming true. She writes about all types of characters, children, young women, bachelors, newlyweds, older gentlemen and mothers and fathers. All of the characters are likeable and full of life. My favorite story is "The Blackberry Day." Claudia, who has been enta ...more
Annie Kate
Jan 09, 2016 Annie Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
After rereading this book for the umpteenth time, I realized that if I ever write fiction, I want to write like this.
Mary
Oct 17, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes short stories
Recommended to Mary by: My friend Noeleen
In this second collection of short stories written after 1985's The Blue Bedroom and Other Stories, Rosamunde Pilcher writes all about love and the pinings of the heart. From the familial style to the bittersweet pang of first love, these sixteen stories showcase all the joys and sorrows experienced by a variety of lively and unique characters. Whether it's a mother's love for her son expressed as she talks to him on the morning of his wedding, or a son's enduring love for his widowed mother and ...more
Janis
Jan 25, 2013 Janis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde Pilcher's books just plain make me feel good. Perhaps they're sentimental, even sappy, but I feel like being a better person when I read them.
This collection of short stories may not have been as good as some of her novels, but a number of the stories brought a tear to my eye. Guess I'm just a sentimental fool.
Lorraine
Apr 26, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable series of short stories. One theme that runs through them - the women tend to marry men who are at least 15 years older than themselves. Curious.
Kaethe
Oct 20, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1992, January 1

oddly, the only story I remember is not listed as being previously published, but I'm almost positive I read it in Good Housekeeping years ago.
Alissa
May 07, 2008 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-fiction
Sweet, romantic short stories. Pilcher is a good writer and and can really draw you into her storylines in a short amount of time. Nice read on a lazy day.
Terry
Apr 03, 2014 Terry rated it liked it
These are the short stories that seem to be the trial developments for her characters and scenarios in Winter Solstice. Not that that is bad. It just is.

The stories are thought provoking and some even got me to shed a tear.

There is some blatant agism themes running in this book - wanting to pack it in because the 30th Anniversary of Marriage means your over the hill, not feeling able to tend to the garden (at the age of 40 and in good health with money - give me a break).

I think my favorite st
Laura Burdekin
Some of the short stories in this book were quite sweet and I really got into them, but inevitably they all ended far too abruptly for my liking. There was a lot of potential in most of the stories to develop the characters and the plot further, and make a really good read, but in the 15-20 pages that the author had allocated, this could not happen. As such many of the women in the stories came across as weak women who felt they could not live without a strong man in their lives. Now don't get m ...more
Jill
Feb 11, 2009 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I am just not that in to short stories. Cute, but too short for any real development
Tiffiny
Jul 09, 2012 Tiffiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A whole bunch of teaser stories! I would love to see at least half of them expanded into novels!
Lisbeth Solberg
Sep 26, 2015 Lisbeth Solberg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisbeth by: Ann Robinson
Shelves: short-stories
Any of these stories alone would be satisfying, but together they begin to seem like the same story. The standout star of all of these is the English countryside, and sometimes the castle-like houses nestled therein, waiting for happy new residents to properly care for them and their rambling gardens. And I wish I could import some of that cool, rainy weather here to hot, dry California.

Of the lot, I liked best the one about the bright painting and its eccentric and previously unappreciated arti
Lorrie
I was so upset to think that I had come to the end of these short stories by our beloved, Rosamunde Pilcher. They were fantastic!!! Some of them were even equal to "Shell Seekers" which I truly loved. I wish this were my own personal book instead of the library's book and I have to return it. I would like to be able to reread a story at random when I want to.

Perhaps my favorite was "Endings and Beginnings". This was the story of Aunt Mabel in her castle. Mabel and her late-in-life husband had n
Mrs.
Oct 23, 2007 Mrs. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
MSJA Book Club selection, October 2007. I've read this collection of short stories several times. Her stories explore universal themes like love and marriage, friendship, birth, death, and dreams coming true. All of her characters, children, young women, bachelors, newlyweds, older gentlemen and mothers and fathers, are so engaging and lifelike, you feel as if you want to befriend each and every resident of her Scottish and Cornish villages. One of my favorite stories is "The Blackberry Day." Cl ...more
Hazel
Apr 30, 2013 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who knows my reviews or my reading habits will know that I hate short stories. I picked this book up when I was clearing my shelves in the study to redecorate and thought I would give it a try. I am trying to clear out some books to donate to a charity booksale at my husbands work and I thought this would be a quick read, mainly as I foresaw myself giving up after a couple of the tales.

At last a collection of short stories that were enjoyable. Each of them were complete stories and did no
Kw
Feb 03, 2014 Kw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She just doesn't miss. Each short story is new and fresh and has its own place, characters, situations, which is refreshing after so many book series based on the same characters. Pilcher's writing is always comfortable and charming and entertaining. So sorry she's gone!
Catrinamaria
The easiest of reads with happy endings throughout. A hundred years since I read "The Shell Seekers" and "September" ... Just as much pleasure from this assortment. What a shame I once thought real life was just like this!
Eileen Pucci
Dec 28, 2014 Eileen Pucci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Flowers in the rain is a nice collection of stories, not as satisfying as a Rosamunde Pilcher novel, of course, but still a pleasant diversion. They have the delightful settings and tone that I love in RP's work.
Wendy E
May 03, 2014 Wendy E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is mostly a collection of stories about weak, foolish women who are unable to live without a man. Now, I know it was written in/for a different generation, but the repetitive theme was nearly unbearable. I've liked other books by this author, but not this one.
Lynda Critchfield
A collection of little love stories of younger and older women, set in the United Kingdom. Full of happy endings and lots of descriptions of small towns and villages. Not my usual genre but the stories hit my soft spot and I even shed a few tears.
writer...
1st book selection to read in my new Reading Scotland Challenge for 2013 !

Like to join us ? Welcome! From now to Nov 30th 2013...

Flowers in the Rain & Other Stories- by seasoned Scottish author Rosamunde Pilcher doesn't disappoint!
Compilation of Short stories, some previously published in women’s magazines as noted.
Well rounded representation of contemporary shorts situated in Scotland during various seasons including Christmas and winter. Several I found to be quite poignant and will look
Linda Mattison
Apr 29, 2016 Linda Mattison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun collection of stories. I usually read at night and like that I could read a fun short story before I fall asleep after a long day at work.
Gloria
Jul 24, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly loved the way the author wrote each chapter as an individual love story. The perfect bedtime reading.
Geli
Dec 29, 2015 Geli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Relatos cortos y sencillos. Son bonitos y entretenidos.
Pero prefiero las historias largas que escribe esta autora
Lynn Hutchinson
Apr 21, 2014 Lynn Hutchinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of short stories but I really enjoyed these, they were full of characters and all quite different.
Pat Moore
Oct 27, 2015 Pat Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book of short stories by one of my favorite authors. If you just have time for a short story cuddle up in your favorite chair with a cup of coffee or tea and be swept away to another time.
Marion Grant
Mar 05, 2016 Marion Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
Again, it's one of my favorite author's books. Very comforting to read and disappear into.
  • An Ocean Apart
  • A Week in Winter
  • Second Honeymoon
  • Still Talking
  • Silver Wedding
  • Promises
  • Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • The Goodbye Summer
  • The Road Taken
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Becoming Finola
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...