Start by marking “Flowers In The Rain: & Other Stories” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,803 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Rosamunde Pilcher...

She makes you laugh...
She makes you cry...
She takes you to a world of hope and romance...
And into the lives of people you'll never forget.
She's Rosamunde Pilcher,
America's most beloved storyteller...
And this is her gift to you.
Published July 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Flowers In The Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers In The Rain

Jess Michaelangelo
Nov 28, 2009 Jess Michaelangelo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: Mimi
Rosamunde Pilcher has just become one of my new favorite authors. This is the first book of hers I've read, and not to use a cliche (I'm going to anyway), but her writing is so comfortable. It's cozy, like curling up in my favorite big comfy chair with a steaming cup of tea. She paints perfect pictures for her readers so they can envision the scenery she describes. She writes about everything that is familiar and welcoming about the different seasons and settings. "A Walk in the Snow" and "Skate ...more
Linda
I've read this collection of short stories several times. I would love to live in one of Rosamunde Pilcher's Scottish or Cornish villages. The stories explore universal themes like love and marriage, friendship, birth, death, and dreams coming true. She writes about all types of characters, children, young women, bachelors, newlyweds, older gentlemen and mothers and fathers. All of the characters are likeable and full of life. My favorite story is "The Blackberry Day." Claudia, who has been enta ...more
Janis
Rosamunde Pilcher's books just plain make me feel good. Perhaps they're sentimental, even sappy, but I feel like being a better person when I read them.
This collection of short stories may not have been as good as some of her novels, but a number of the stories brought a tear to my eye. Guess I'm just a sentimental fool.
Lorraine
This is a very enjoyable series of short stories. One theme that runs through them - the women tend to marry men who are at least 15 years older than themselves. Curious.
Kaethe
1992, January 1

oddly, the only story I remember is not listed as being previously published, but I'm almost positive I read it in Good Housekeeping years ago.
Alissa
Sweet, romantic short stories. Pilcher is a good writer and and can really draw you into her storylines in a short amount of time. Nice read on a lazy day.
Terry
These are the short stories that seem to be the trial developments for her characters and scenarios in Winter Solstice. Not that that is bad. It just is.

The stories are thought provoking and some even got me to shed a tear.

There is some blatant agism themes running in this book - wanting to pack it in because the 30th Anniversary of Marriage means your over the hill, not feeling able to tend to the garden (at the age of 40 and in good health with money - give me a break).

I think my favorite st
Jill
I think I am just not that in to short stories. Cute, but too short for any real development
Tiffiny
A whole bunch of teaser stories! I would love to see at least half of them expanded into novels!
Donna
Love her . I always feel like I have had a cup of tea and heard a good story from an old friend.
Lorrie
I was so upset to think that I had come to the end of these short stories by our beloved, Rosamunde Pilcher. They were fantastic!!! Some of them were even equal to "Shell Seekers" which I truly loved. I wish this were my own personal book instead of the library's book and I have to return it. I would like to be able to reread a story at random when I want to.

Perhaps my favorite was "Endings and Beginnings". This was the story of Aunt Mabel in her castle. Mabel and her late-in-life husband had n
Mrs.
Oct 23, 2007 Mrs. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
MSJA Book Club selection, October 2007. I've read this collection of short stories several times. Her stories explore universal themes like love and marriage, friendship, birth, death, and dreams coming true. All of her characters, children, young women, bachelors, newlyweds, older gentlemen and mothers and fathers, are so engaging and lifelike, you feel as if you want to befriend each and every resident of her Scottish and Cornish villages. One of my favorite stories is "The Blackberry Day." Cl ...more
Hazel
Anyone who knows my reviews or my reading habits will know that I hate short stories. I picked this book up when I was clearing my shelves in the study to redecorate and thought I would give it a try. I am trying to clear out some books to donate to a charity booksale at my husbands work and I thought this would be a quick read, mainly as I foresaw myself giving up after a couple of the tales.

At last a collection of short stories that were enjoyable. Each of them were complete stories and did no
Kw
She just doesn't miss. Each short story is new and fresh and has its own place, characters, situations, which is refreshing after so many book series based on the same characters. Pilcher's writing is always comfortable and charming and entertaining. So sorry she's gone!
Eileen Pucci
Flowers in the rain is a nice collection of stories, not as satisfying as a Rosamunde Pilcher novel, of course, but still a pleasant diversion. They have the delightful settings and tone that I love in RP's work.
Wendy E
This is mostly a collection of stories about weak, foolish women who are unable to live without a man. Now, I know it was written in/for a different generation, but the repetitive theme was nearly unbearable. I've liked other books by this author, but not this one.
writer...
1st book selection to read in my new Reading Scotland Challenge for 2013 !

Like to join us ? Welcome! From now to Nov 30th 2013...

Flowers in the Rain & Other Stories- by seasoned Scottish author Rosamunde Pilcher doesn't disappoint!
Compilation of Short stories, some previously published in women’s magazines as noted.
Well rounded representation of contemporary shorts situated in Scotland during various seasons including Christmas and winter. Several I found to be quite poignant and will look
Lynn Hutchinson
I'm not a fan of short stories but I really enjoyed these, they were full of characters and all quite different.
Donje
Love the author but I don't like short stories. I find them to be too...short.
Wendy
I love this book. The stories are so comforting.
Linda
I love Rosamunde Pilcher. Her sensible characters, friendly villages and Scottish landscapes make me smile. My favorite story in this collection is "Blackberry Day." Claudia returns north to nurse her broken heart and reconnects with a man from her past. I love the scenes on the train and when she and her old friend go hill-climbing. Pilcher does such a wonderful job of drawing her readers into her characters' world.
Andrea
My six year old pulled this off the shelf at the library for me, sure that I would love it. Its not something I would have chosen for myself but she was so excited I gave it a try.

They were nice, simple stories about love and relationships. A little benign for my taste but they were still a pretty good read. I may try one of her novels in the future.
Nancy
As a fan of Rosamunde Pilcher's other books, I was very disappointed by this. I felt as if the stories were very lifeless and repetitive; each one seemed the same, and the characters seemed reused in every story. There were a few memorable moments (I enjoyed Endings and Beginnings, Last Morning and The Red Dress especially) but overall this book just fell flat.
Jean
I'll say 3 1/2 on the merit of several of the stories that really stood out above the rest.
Amarilli
Uno di quei libri che potrei definire "little guilty pleasures". Letture senza pretese, per un momento di svago, come intermezzo tra altri titoli più impegnativi. Le storie di Rosamunde Pilcher potranno non essere eccezionali, ma mi piacciono molto le sue descrizioni della Gran Bretagna, mi vien voglia di mollare tutto e trasferirmi nella brughiera.
Sheila
This book was a gift from a dear friend who is downsizing and needed to get rid of books. LOTS of books! I hadn't read Pilcher in a long time. It was fun to read her work again, almost like a visit with a friend whom one sees infrequently. This is a story collection and will suit those who find themselves needing "comfort food" in their reading diet.
SW
Monica
Nov 13, 2008 Monica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monica by: Judy Barnette
Like most of the books I read by Rosamunde Pilcher this compilation of short stories often ends with a sickeningly happy love story. However, the last story, "Skates" is the story of two sisters and the one I liked the most. Their relationship bares a slight similarity between the one my sister and I shared when we were younger.
Lee Anne
Reading this one again in January 2013. (A note said I read it in 2008. Can't believe I've read this before? None is at all familiar.) Very nice, but not as moving as the collection in "The Blue Bedroom." The last 2 little stories were very touching: one about a mother & son, the other with a nice life lesson.
Jan
This is a collection of short stories by this author who has become a favorite of mine. MY disappointment was that it was not a novel. Her novels are wonderful and deep, and her short stories just don't have time to get into the story as much as I would like. I always wanted more.
  • An Ocean Apart
  • Second Honeymoon
  • A Week in Winter
  • The Golden Cup
  • Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)
  • Silver Wedding
  • Becoming Finola
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...
The Shell Seekers Winter Solstice September Coming Home Snow In April