Start by marking “Blackstaff Tower: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep” as Want to Read:
Blackstaff Tower: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep

Blackstaff Tower: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Call for Heroes!

A young group of friends stumble across a terrifying conspiracy that holds the heir to the Blackstaff, the defender of the city of Waterdeep, in terrible danger. These friends must search deep within themselves to become the heroes their city needs to save its champion from those who would see both brought low.

Ed Greenwood, beloved author and creator of
Published January 26th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Blackstaff Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackstaff Tower

Andrew
Sep 02, 2008 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: Steven
Right now I sit at my in-laws. It is 10PM CST and I have just set down Blackstaff Tower, finishing it's Epilogue with a great smile on my face. This book and Mistshore by Jayleigh Johnson are the first books to give us an inside view of Waterdeep -- The City of Spenldors, as it appears in the 4th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons. Now I hope that last statement does not turn anyone off to this wonderful tale. Whether you love or hate the changes to D&D or the Forgotten Realms, this book is wel ...more
Chris
One recurring critique of Wizards' D&D novels is that they read as though the authors all simply turn their campaigns into fiction - if this were true, the three authors in this omnibus must have the most creative DMs on the planet.

These three novels collectively provide three very different perspectives on life in one of the Forgotten Realms' most prominent cities, Waterdeep. Each focuses on a particular area of the city, or an aspect of its society. We're taken to two different slums and g
Brian
As a work of RPG-franchise fiction, /Blackstaff Tower/ is unexceptional but entirely satisfying for the reader amenable to that genre. In the venerable tradition of fantasy fiction, and especially that which looks to /Dungeons & Dragons/ for its formulae, the plot follows a party of up-and-coming warriors, wizards, and rogues who are thrown together in common cause against a villain whose treacherous designs threaten their city.

The novel's unique aspects are somewhat adjunct to the main narr
Travis
Blackstaff Tower is the first book in the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series of stand-alone novels set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons and Dragons. There are six novels in Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series including Blackstaff Tower. The five other novels include; Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones, The God Catcher by Erin M. Evans, and Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis. Steven E. Schend has written one other f ...more
Rosemary
Mr. Schend has already told you what he was doing with timelines in this book. May I add that he does it very well. This is a book for those who like deep lore and background history and all the other little details that make Ed Greenwood's city so fascinating.

BTW, I must also tell you that Steve is a incredibly generous correspondent and fun guy to have as a Internet friend (his Facebook posts always make me laugh). Should he ever travel to land of endless coffee, I owe him something fancy wit
Forgotten Realms Queen
One of the few new Realms books that I was eager to read and not disspointed in.

It does get a little confusing in places, because you have a Blackstaff heir going mad and hearing voices, living bad guys disguised as dead good guys, and mind bending wizard traps around almost every turn. So it's easy to get lost if you're not careful. But take it slow and easy and you should have no problem.

Aside from the mind games, it was a very enjoyable, fast paced and entertaining read.
Chris
As an introduction to Ed Greenwood's "Waterdeep" series, Schend lays a sturdy foundation. There were some pacing issues, but otherwise this was an enjoyable piece of pulp fantasy, establishing many aspects of the environment in "modern" Waterdeep. Vajra's journey back to sanity and the full realization of her powers was the part that truly shone, but unfortunately I felt it was obscured by some of the other characters. A good start to the first volume of the Waterdeep omnibus.
Brian Blad

If you are a fan of Dungeons and Dragons and the great setting of The Forgotten Realms, you know that Waterdeep the City of Splendors is the center of many tales. This book gives a window into the great city and it's denziens and heroes. All hail The Blackstaff.
Erik de Bie
Three books for the price of two? And those books being the amazing Waterdeep series? Yes please!

Seriously, this is a big chunk of story in an affordable and huge package. Well worth it. :)
Doris
Aside from having a female chief protagonist, the story flowed well. It also ended well, although there were a couple of points where I thought it should have been fleshed out more.
Jack
Great Forgotten Realms book, i highly recommend it
Steven
Sep 15, 2008 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mywork, fantasy
I can't legitimately review this book since I wrote it. Thus, I'm too close to the material and can't judge it objectively.

That said, here's what I tried to do with the book: Establish a time frame of change in Waterdeep; adjust the reader to the new status quo of the 15th Century Realms; introduce a new group of heroes on the rise who hopefully grab people's interests; and to invoke a little bit of change linked to the history and backstory of the Realms and Waterdeep.

It's up to you folks to
Brenda Cothern
Kenneth Neiberger
Kenneth Neiberger marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Jeff Armstrong
Jeff Armstrong marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Pam Key
Pam Key marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
David Sackett
David Sackett marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Christian Boustead
Christian Boustead is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2015
Jose
Jose added it
Mar 15, 2015
Bonnie Hagood
Bonnie Hagood marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Len Miller
Len Miller is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2015
Promotions 2 9 Jul 12, 2008 03:18PM
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • Darkvision (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #3)
  • The Crystal Mountain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #3)
  • Realms of the Dragons II (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #10)
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #3)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #2)

Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep (7 books)
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, Book II: A Forgotten Realms Novel
Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1) Undermountain: The Lost Level (Forgotten Realms) (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition) The Fall of Myth Drannor (AD&D/Forgotten Realms/Arcane Age Adventure) Cloak and Dagger (Forgotten Realms) CORMANTHYR: EMPIRE OF ELVES (Forgotten Realms Campaign)