Start by marking “Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)” as Want to Read:
Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)

Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls #5)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,656 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Principal Zeus asks Athena to help Heracles (aka Hercules in the Roman pantheon) complete his twelve labors. But when Heracles starts borrowing Athena's friends things without asking, will she be able to help him set things straight?
Published (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Athena the Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Athena the Wise

Athena the Brain by Joan HolubArtemis the Brave by Joan HolubPersephone the Phony by Joan HolubAphrodite the Beauty by Joan HolubAthena the Wise by Joan Holub
Books in the Goddess Girls series
5th out of 20 books — 71 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Odyssey by HomerThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Best Books About Mythology
122nd out of 556 books — 1,156 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana
Jan 04, 2013 Diana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves mythology with a twist of modern young adult life.
I love the series Goddess Girls! The authors Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams did an amazing job rewriting Greek myths with a fun twist of humor and modern life to catch your eye. Me and my siblings love the books enough to pretend we're the characters. It's well written in a way children love to read. If all books were like written like this, all kids would voluntarily read during their free time!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I love the Goddess Girls series! I think this is fantastic series that not only teaches grade school and middle grader readers about Greek Mythology with a fun twist, but the series is a fun, engaging read set at their level. Joan and Suzanne have done a wonderful job with not only making the Greek Gods and Goddess relatable, but they've made them so readers get to see them in similar situations they may find themselves in. I also like the fact that each book teaches a message.

Athena The Wise is
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the fifth book in the Goddess Girls series by Joan Holub. Our oldest has really gotten interested in Greek Mythology and loves this series. I like them as well and they have a fresh, young vibe that will appeal to the pre-teen, young teen girl audience.

This story is longer than the first book in the series and it also gets a little deeper into a romantic aspect. Our girls are not quite ready for that yet, but thankfully it's still PG. We've enjoyed this series so far and our girls are e
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)

Athena is the goddess of wisdom but doesn’t always feel wise. One day at lunch, Artemis and her friends, Aphrodite, Persephone, and Artemis, see a new mortal at their school. Mortals normally don’t come to Mount Olympus Academy. Heracles is very strong for a mortal and is often wearing lion’s skin and carrying a club.

Athena decides to introducer herself but is interrupted when she gets called to go to the principal’s office, Zeus, who happens to be her father. Zeus tells Athena that he needs her
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review blog.

Like all the books in the Goddess Girls series, Athena the Wise can be read as a standalone and it is not necessary to have read the previous books.

This series gets better and better with each book! Athena again narrates and she solidifies her spot as my favorite Goddess Girl with her brainy approach and ongoing struggles juggling all of her many activities (I can SO relate with her "more is more" approach!).

The twelve labors of Heracles takes center stage,
Angelc
The Goddess Girls series is one of my favorites, and "Athena the Wise" is an especially sweet installment! As a romance fan, I love the cute romance blooming between Athena and Heracles. I also love Athena's relationship with her so embarrassing dad, Zeus.

As with the previous Goddess Girls books, there's a subtle but important message woven throughout the story. The book takes a look a the varying shades of right and wrong. It also explores anger and revenge. The authors are never preachy but i
Reading Teen (Andye)
This review is by Reagan from Reading Tween and is dictated from her Video Review, which can be found here on her blog if you'd rather watch it ;-)

I haven't read all of the books yet (but am planning to!). In this book Athena is in the cafeteria and she sees a new person whose name is Hercules. When her dad, Principle Zeus, calls her into the principle's office, he says she has to help Hercules, even though she's never met him, to keep his temper and everything. Her dad wants her to help him in
Alex
At First Sight: There is a new kid at Mount Olympus Academy and Athena - the principal's daughter and goddess of wisdom - is asked by her dear ol' dad to help him fit in.

Athena knows all too well how difficult is to be the new kid at school - as she came to MOA just a few months earlier - so she's happy to help Heracles as much as she can. Particularly after she learns that he has to complete 12 Labors in order to stay at the Academy for good.

Athena has never been particularly adventurous, and
Linda Jaejoong
In Band 5 geht es endlich wieder um Athene, ich mag sie nach Persephone am meisten. Diesmal muss sie dem sterblichen Herakles helfen 12 Aufgaben zu bestehen. Wenn er sie besteht kann er an der Academy bleiben, wenn nicht muss er gehen. Doch Athene merkt bald das sie mehr als nur Freundschaft für ihn empfindet, doch nutzt er sie nur aus oder mag er sie auch?? Und wird es Herakles gelingen zusammen mit Athene die Aufgaben zu bewältigen?

Athene und Herakles sind so süß zusammen und man muss die ganz
Blythe Penland
This goddess girls book mainly focuses on Athena and there's a new godboy, Hercules. Zeus tells her about his 12 labors and tells her to try to make friends with him and help him with the labors. Athena accepts and starts hanging around Hercules and Aphrodite starts getting suspicious. Athena is then forced to tell Aphrodite, Persephone, and Artemis about the 12 labors. She and Hercules start doing the labors together which ends up jeopardizing her friendship with Artemis, challenges her and Ara ...more
Sophie
When Zeus, Athena's dad, asks her to keep an eye on the new boy Heracles she doesn't realise her job will involve helping him complete the 12 labours!

This series is epic! In this one we meet Heracles, Arachne and Eurystheus. We also see Poseidon in his bath towel! Artemis had been staring at Poseidon ever since he appeared. Finally she asked, "You shower with your trident?"

My favourite parts were the part with the boring boar and the part where Athena and Persephone go to the underworld to break
Young Mensans
Athena the Wise is a few months after Athena starts at Mount Olympus Academy, she meets a new kid at school named Heracles. He needs help fitting in, and Athena helps him. Heracles also has to complete twelve labors. Athena thinks that she can help him, so they have to work together to complete the labors.

I think other kids would enjoy this book because it's a mix of Greek mythology and realism. There are fictional monsters and real places in the book. Athena the Wise also shows what high schoo
Cathyl
Jessica Day
If this book had been on shelves when I was younger, I would have been all over it. I went through a huge Greek mythology phase in 6th grade and I definately would have picked these books up. I'm sure tweens today will do the same. Heck, it's basically a younger Percy Jackson for girls. Kids will laugh at the clever manipulations that share the classic myths (Arachne the Arachnid anyone?) and the mythology is visible in every character and detail. each "Goddess Girl" is a mini portrait of the Gr ...more
Dayle Lynne
I’ve been reading this book with my 8-year-old daughter.

The Goddess Girls series is a twist on Greek mythology. The goddess girls and god boys are preteens attending Mount Olympus Academy (MOA). In Athena the Wise, Principal Zeus asks Athena to help Hercules complete his 12 labors, which will enable to remain at MOA.

The book was cute and the story was fun. Most importantly, my daughter loved it! She liked that it was based on mythology because she’s learning about mythology in art class. She als
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This is the first Goddess Girls book I have read. My daughter really enjoys them though and when I won this book in a giveaway, I thought I'd better check it out. I really enjoyed this mythology based story. Athena and Heracles were fun and their adventures kept things lively. My daughter said she liked how Athena had to go along with Heracles to keep him out of trouble. She thought it was funny.

These books teach good lessons along the way too. I like that the situations are ones that kids can r
Melanie (I'm a bookish pirate witch)
Definitely one of my favorites! At last, not all boys-or godboys- are stupid(of course I'm not including Hades, he's so cute!) I like how Heracles is cute in here!!
Loreine Khek
If I could, I'd give this series 6 stars. It's the best one I've read so far. I really love Heracles and Athena love lines, so lovely, I can't get over them. hahaha
Rachel
I like the whole Goddess Girls series, a lot. This one is good, too. It's sweet how Athena likes Hercules and all the tasks they go through together.
Meenatchi
This book was pretty good, but I bet A bit more vocal could make is sweet. I recommend this book to young readers.
Isabella Salinas
Daisy
Everything about this book was amazing. It's just one of those books I read then immediately made sure the next one was close by, so that I could read it as soon as I got the chance. I'm not going to give anything away but I loved the ninth task and the way Heracles tried to complete it, and the way it was actually completed. The Arachne storyline was great and I loved Persephone and Hades in this book. Artemis though, not so much. I don't like what Orion has done to her and the comments she mad ...more
Yuan Chen
This is my favorite book i've read in this series. I thought that it was nice when Aprodite fave Athena a makeover. I dont really like Aprodite because all shecares about is being pretty and is oneboy doesnt admire her she goes crazy. But sometimes she's nice when she isnt obsess about being pretty.Aprodite alwaysgoes to the imortal mall. I wonder where she gets money
Jenn
I think this one is my favorite so far, of the 5 books in the series that I have read. Mostly because the character of Hercules is not a jerk, unlike most of the other godboys (with the exception of Hades, who was actually pretty cool, as well).

Again, these books prove that I am woefully ignorant to Greek mythology. Alas. I will remedy that one of these days.
Michelle Tempted By Books
The 12 Trials of Hercules. How did this boy become a Hero? Well with the help of the wisest of all the goddess girls of course. This book teaches about friendship, brains before brawn and sometimes brawn is necessary. However this book isn't just Hercules we also have side story of Athena and Arachne. If you haven't heard this one yet, check it out.
Caroline Gilson
it was great i think athena likes hercles
Devon
When an unexpected mortal boy named Heracles appeared at MOA Athena noticed that he had a power that was intensive strength. Join Athena in an adventure that will take you're breath away,when Athena finds out that she has to help Heracles with his twelve labors that have to be done by the end of the week or he will have to go back to earth.
Hannah
it was ok....
Shanda Kinkade
Even though the story was a tad on the cheesy side and the obvious lesson was involved, the story was cute and fun. I really liked how it introduced the different mythological people and gave info on them. What a great way for younger people to learn mythology. I would definitely suggest this series to girls in the 8-12 age range.
Book Discussions ...: Athena the Wise 9 3 May 15, 2013 03:05PM
  • Pandora Gets Vain (Mythic Misadventures #2)
  • Fantasy Stories
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • Take Two  (My Sister the Vampire, #5)
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)
  • Scary School
  • She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology
  • Princess Charming (Princess School, #5)
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
Author of MIGHTY DADS (a NYTimes bestseller, illus by James Dean); LITTLE RED WRITING (illus by Melissa Sweet); the GODDESS GIRLS series (co-author Suzanne Williams); ZERO THE HERO (illus Tom Litchtenheld); and many other books for children. I feel very lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...
Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1) Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3) Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2) Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4) Aphrodite the Diva (Goddess Girls, #6)