Start by marking “The Brass Dragon / Ipomoea ” as Want to Read:

The Brass Dragon / Ipomoea

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Cover Artists: Frank Kelly Freas, Jack Gaughan
Mass Market Paperback, Ace Double 37250, 253 pages
Published April 1969 by Ace Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Brass Dragon / Ipomoea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brass Dragon / Ipomoea

Elisabeth Waters
I love YA books. Of course, when you're reading the work of an author who went on to write long complex novels, the YA books from early in her career aren't as well written as her later work. (On the other hand, they don't have all the sex of the later books, which is fine with me--I'm one of the readers who skips sex scenes.) This is a nice straightforward adventure story, and I really enjoyed it.

The other thing about old YA books, especially ones written prior to the moon landing, is that, in
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard Core MZB Fans and Completists
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is a fairly early Marion Zimmer Bradley books, one of her stand alones not tied in with her popular Avalon or Darkover series. No, it's not what I'd recommend as an introduction to her, it's pretty forgettable compared to her other books, I had to browse through the books and other reviews to remember the details while other books by her remain fresh decades after reading. And yes, this is based on that hoariest of cliches, a hero suffering from amnesia. For all that I remember it as an ent ...more
Maddalena
Apr 25, 2014 Maddalena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, american
Un romanzo strano, che ho abbastanza detestato alla prima lettura, mentre alla seconda mi sono più o meno innamorata :D
Bradley
This story was okay. Off to listia for someone else to enjoy! =)
Jenny Schwartzberg
Apr 27, 2011 Jenny Schwartzberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I've had this Ace Double edition of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Brass Dragon and John Rackham's Ipomoea since the early 1970s. Every few years I pull it from my shelves and reread both books with deep pleasure. The science-fiction aspects may be dated but the characters are still sympathetic and the plots are involving and race along to the finish. I don't want to give the plots away because both have strong elements of mystery and surprising twists. I would recommend this Ace Double for anyone ...more
Carol Palmer
Jan 02, 2014 Carol Palmer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved most of the books I've read by Marion Zimmer Bradley, but this one was bad. I think it was written for young adults. One thing I thought was funny is that she has an advanced race of interstellar travelers that still use a slide rule for calculations.
Ambs ❤❤
Apr 15, 2015 Ambs ❤❤ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story, considering it was relatively short. It was written well and flowed easily. Everything was wrapped up nicely in the end, and hope more adventures befall Barry in the future.
Jon Kenna
Jun 11, 2011 Jon Kenna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first proper book I ever read back in 1977. I remember loving it so was keen to re-read it. I shouldn't have. It's terrible. Corny and horribly dated.
John
Ipomoea, John Rackham, read twice, grade A
Art
Apr 22, 2012 Art rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
An excellent example of Zimmer Bradley's juvenile writing!
Martin
Jul 19, 2012 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dated, clumsy YA book. Not quite what I remembered.
Diane Goeres-Gardner
It encouraged me to read more of her books.
Sue Lilly
Interesting idea, a good read!
Jackie
Good book, great author.
Sophie
Ok SF novella :)
Ellwyn
Ellwyn marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Alicia Catlos
Alicia Catlos marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Marie
Marie added it
Mar 05, 2016
Elle
Elle rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Tom Burke
Tom Burke rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Liz
Liz added it
Jan 23, 2016
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Donna47
Donna47 marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Hels
Hels marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
  • Secret of the Lost Race
  • The Starcrossed
  • A Step Farther Out
  • The Prime Minister's Brain
  • Transit
  • They Fly At Çiron: A Novel
  • Saratoga
  • Mercadian Masques (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #1)
  • The Man Who Counts
  • High Queen
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • Invasion (Magic: The Gathering: Invasion Cycle, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Massacre (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 122)
  • The Face of the Waters
  • Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 111)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...