Start by marking “Emily” as Want to Read:
Emily

Emily

If Emily hadn't gone to Annie Richmond's party, she would never have met the impossible irresistible Rory Balniel - never have married him and been carried off to the wild Scottish island of Irasa to live in his ancestral home along with his eccentric mother, Coco, and the dog, Walter Scott. She'd never have met the wild and mysterious Marina, a wraith from Rory's past, no ...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by Corgi (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily

Sati Marie Frost
Sep 08, 2012 Sati Marie Frost rated it did not like it
Oh dear.

I usually like Jilly Cooper. You do have to take her with a pinch of salt - some of her books were written in the 60s and 70s, and in upper-class England (which is sort of a world unto itself, and I say that with the perspective of someone who has one foot in that world), so most of the time it's worth thinking of her books as period dramedy. The morals in them usually don't apply to life today, but they can often be quite entertaining reads, if you can get past the occasional casual rac
Jade
Jan 11, 2012 Jade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Karolyne
This book was written nearly 40 years ago and could not be classed as politically correct. The writing and the story telling are flawless. I first read this story when I was approx. 16 years old, and there has been a great change in what society sees as acceptable behaviour within relationships and toward women as a whole.
All of that said- this is a funny, angst filled story about a naive young woman who falls in love with a very temperamental man who really wouldn't get away with half the crap
Georgia_j
Apr 03, 2013 Georgia_j rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Dire.
Caroline
Jan 23, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
Takes me back to my youth - loved these books as a teenager. Very dated now though - one example of which is a pregnant woman being given a large brandy by her doctor for shock!
Katherine
If you like the end of "Crocodile Dundee" or the bit in "Love Actually" when Jamie (Colin Firth) proposes to Aurelia, then you are an incurable romantic and you are going to love this book from Jilly Cooper. It was written in the early 1970s and is showing its age but like all treasures that just adds to its appeal. Unlike other traditional romances, our heroine marries her Mr Right at the beginning of the novel but pretty soon realises he might not be her Mr Right at all.

Written before her bon
Apr 24, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Peggy
Jan 25, 2014 Peggy rated it liked it
This is Jilly Cooper's first published book, and here she starts a trend of book titles with female names. This is an enjoyable read, you don't have to think to hard, there are a few twists (unexpected ones). I think though that Cooper still had to find her distinctive style (racy but never gross) which we will find in her following books. I love her books for that style. This book reminds me more of the usual short romance stories and I miss the Copper 'kick'. Saying all this, I understand from ...more
Tasneem
Jun 07, 2011 Tasneem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried when reading Emily. The passion, the love, the romance, the heartache, all are so well done in this book. I especially liked the element of incest, where he adores the woman who is his half sister but he knows that he can never live with her. She is his muse, but then, when he meets Emily, everything changes. I especially love how she finds out that he loves her, because to see it expressed in the tiny, intimate painting he has done of her, looking not divine or sexy, but normal, ordinar ...more
Lauren
May 07, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women of any age
Recommended to Lauren by: no one
an easy/quick read :)
there is no majorly boring parts and it seems like you always want to carry on reading it.
i think its a very suprising book, you dont really know where its going to take you.
but yeah, i liked it, and i think most people would for a quick read.
Babita
Mar 08, 2012 Babita rated it it was amazing
of all her short stories, this one's my favourite
Elizabeth
I'm pretty sure this ends with the violent husband apologizing and changing his abusive ways so they can live happily ever after. But really, that's pretty gross.
Gina Dickerson
Jun 25, 2013 Gina Dickerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I first read this when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. Picking it up now, I still like it. A quick, easy read with characters I love to revisit!
Lady Kate
Dec 21, 2014 Lady Kate rated it it was amazing
This was the second Jilly Cooper novel I read at the tender age of 10! This is quite a gritty novel for its day, affairs, abuse and incestuous tones. Again it will only take you a day.
Gill McKinlay
May 16, 2015 Gill McKinlay rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Lisa Miller
Jul 02, 2013 Lisa Miller rated it it was amazing
Lived this one especially
Suzy
Oct 23, 2008 Suzy rated it really liked it
I read a lot of Jilly Cooper when I was a young teenager and learned an awful lot from her! I loved it at the time and think its about time I read them all again!
Lucy Pearce
Jul 08, 2014 Lucy Pearce rated it really liked it
Read this within a day!
I honestly couldn't put it down!
I couldn't relate to the book yet I was still fixated and slightly surprised by the ending which was lovely :)
Hayley Jackson
Jun 14, 2014 Hayley Jackson rated it it was amazing
Emily was my first 'grown up' book and I loved it. I read this one and the others in the series at least every couple of years for nostalgia. Great holiday books.
Esther
Jan 26, 2013 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nostalgic read which I enjoyed and I refuse to over-analyse that fact....
James M
Dec 17, 2014 James M rated it liked it
Shelves: dram-rom-x
A woman finds love before getting whisked off to a Scottish island.
Eva Ruff
Dec 06, 2016 Eva Ruff rated it liked it
Romance carmel corn. Not a lot of substance but you keep reading until the bowl is empty.
Linda Klages
Oct 30, 2016 Linda Klages rated it liked it
Interesting reading - easy to read - would read more from this author
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Alexandra Ilchenko
Alexandra Ilchenko rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
ScarlettIvy
ScarlettIvy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
mirole
mirole rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2014
GeckoEcho
GeckoEcho rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Alix Gardiner
Alix Gardiner rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
BZ George
BZ George rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
  • Margarita
  • Living in Glass Houses
  • Secrets (Swept Saga, #2)
  • Temporary Wife
  • Lasting Attraction (Cassie, #3)
  • The Naked Husband
  • The Woman He Married (A Magic City Duo Book 1)
  • A Perfect Marriage (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #621)
  • Not To Us
  • Marry Me Again (The Second Chance Love Series, #1)
  • Saved from Sin
  • Me After You (Willowhaven, #1)
  • Loving Jessie
  • Between Males
  • Blindsided
  • Kinky Neighbors (An Erotic Romance for Four)
  • Bereft (Seven Year Itch, #2)
  • Kiss and Dwell (Harlequin Blaze #325)
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...