Start by marking “Emily” as Want to Read:
Emily

Emily

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  18 reviews
If Emily hadn't gone to Annie Richmond's party, she would never have met the impossible irresistible Rory Balniel - never have married him and been carried off to the wild Scottish island of Irasa to live in his ancestral home along with his eccentric mother, Coco, and the dog, Walter Scott. She'd never have met the wild and mysterious Marina, a wraith from Rory's past, no ...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by Corgi (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily

Sati Marie Frost
Oh dear.

I usually like Jilly Cooper. You do have to take her with a pinch of salt - some of her books were written in the 60s and 70s, and in upper-class England (which is sort of a world unto itself, and I say that with the perspective of someone who has one foot in that world), so most of the time it's worth thinking of her books as period dramedy. The morals in them usually don't apply to life today, but they can often be quite entertaining reads, if you can get past the occasional casual rac
Jade
Karolyne
This book was written nearly 40 years ago and could not be classed as politically correct. The writing and the story telling are flawless. I first read this story when I was approx. 16 years old, and there has been a great change in what society sees as acceptable behaviour within relationships and toward women as a whole.
All of that said- this is a funny, angst filled story about a naive young woman who falls in love with a very temperamental man who really wouldn't get away with half the crap
Peggy
This is Jilly Cooper's first published book, and here she starts a trend of book titles with female names. This is an enjoyable read, you don't have to think to hard, there are a few twists (unexpected ones). I think though that Cooper still had to find her distinctive style (racy but never gross) which we will find in her following books. I love her books for that style. This book reminds me more of the usual short romance stories and I miss the Copper 'kick'. Saying all this, I understand from ...more
Lady Kate
This was the second Jilly Cooper novel I read at the tender age of 10! This is quite a gritty novel for its day, affairs, abuse and incestuous tones. Again it will only take you a day.
Lucy Pearce
Read this within a day!
I honestly couldn't put it down!
I couldn't relate to the book yet I was still fixated and slightly surprised by the ending which was lovely :)
Hayley Jackson
Emily was my first 'grown up' book and I loved it. I read this one and the others in the series at least every couple of years for nostalgia. Great holiday books.
Tasneem
I cried when reading Emily. The passion, the love, the romance, the heartache, all are so well done in this book. I especially liked the element of incest, where he adores the woman who is his half sister but he knows that he can never live with her. She is his muse, but then, when he meets Emily, everything changes. I especially love how she finds out that he loves her, because to see it expressed in the tiny, intimate painting he has done of her, looking not divine or sexy, but normal, ordinar ...more
Jim M
A woman finds love before getting whisked off to a Scottish island.
Lauren
May 11, 2009 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women of any age
Recommended to Lauren by: no one
an easy/quick read :)
there is no majorly boring parts and it seems like you always want to carry on reading it.
i think its a very suprising book, you dont really know where its going to take you.
but yeah, i liked it, and i think most people would for a quick read.
Caroline
Takes me back to my youth - loved these books as a teenager. Very dated now though - one example of which is a pregnant woman being given a large brandy by her doctor for shock!
Suzy
I read a lot of Jilly Cooper when I was a young teenager and learned an awful lot from her! I loved it at the time and think its about time I read them all again!
Elizabeth
I'm pretty sure this ends with the violent husband apologizing and changing his abusive ways so they can live happily ever after. But really, that's pretty gross.
Gina Dickerson
I first read this when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. Picking it up now, I still like it. A quick, easy read with characters I love to revisit!
Esther
A nostalgic read which I enjoyed and I refuse to over-analyse that fact....
Babita
of all her short stories, this one's my favourite
Lisa Miller
Lived this one especially
Georgia_j
Dire.
Gervy
Gervy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 18, 2015
Jessica Maher
Jessica Maher marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
JayJinx
JayJinx marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Hexe
Hexe marked it as to-read
Jc
Jc marked it as to-read
RT
RT added it
Feb 05, 2015
  • Me After You (Willowhaven, #1)
  • A Perfect Marriage (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #621)
  • Lasting Attraction (Cassie, #3)
  • Secrets (Swept Saga, #2)
  • Marry Me Again (The Second Chance Love Series, Book 1)
  • Living in Glass Houses
  • Not To Us
  • The Naked Husband
  • An Arrangement of Love (Chasing Love, #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Kiss and Dwell (Harlequin Blaze #325)
  • Second Chance at Love (MacKenna Born & Bred, #1)
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Broken Notes (Heavy Influence, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • The Ultimate Betrayal
  • Between Males
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...
Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1) Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2) Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3) The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4) Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)