Start by marking “Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  479 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
With such groundbreaking bestsellers as Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause, Dr. Christiane Northrup is one of today’s most trusted and visionary medical experts. Now she presents her most profound and revolutionary approach to women’s health. . . .

The mother-daughter relationship sets the stage for our state of health and well-being for our entire
Published March 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mother-Daughter Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother-Daughter Wisdom

Bobby
Jul 18, 2009 Bobby rated it really liked it
This is a great resource book, full of information and resources. Definitely an important woman's guide to health. I think that if I had gotten this book when my daughter was younger, I may not have had to worry so much. I love the whole person approach that Dr. Northrup presents. I went to the bookstore to buy Northrup's book on menopause, then saw this book and bought it also. I read it first and found sections enlightening, definitely applicable to my current daily existence. I am now anxious ...more
Megan
Mar 01, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
I do not own a copy of this book but I would really like one! This is a great book about raising children. The author is very honest about what has happened to her, her friends, and her patients, and she is not afraid to give her opinion. However, she stricks me as a liberal so if you're not into that this would not be a good book for you. I on the other hard agree with a lot of her opinions and find it nice to have a resource like this to turn to.
Annagrace K.
Apr 29, 2008 Annagrace K. rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this book! Don't let the title deceive you--whether or not you have daughters or any children at all (or even wish to) this book has incredible insight into the complicated and complex relationships of mothers and daughters. And each of us females is someone's daughter. The information on genetic, health, and emotional legacies is really, really good. This is one of the few books that I can truly say has changed my life.
Zoe
Mar 20, 2012 Zoe rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, skimmed-it
I bought this book a while ago but never really got into it. I put it in my "sell to Powell's" bag but then I picked it up and read a chapter. Woah! It was the perfect reading for my Mother-Daughter group. The book is now at my bedside.
Christine Amidon
Jan 18, 2015 Christine Amidon rated it it was ok
I found much of this book to be useful, but was surprised that a physician could be so uninformed on HPV. I cannot recommend the book on that basis.
Linda
Nov 18, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Very comprehensive medical, psychological, and technical approach to raising healthy daughters. Probably a good book for anyone who works with kids or families in the educational or medical environments.
Erin
Jan 16, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
I do not agree with all if her theories and ideas. I did like some of the neurobiology she discussed.
Sara
Jul 05, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Still working on this big baby. Very good information on emotional connections between mothers and their children. It's not fully mother-daughter stuff... much of the information can be applied to sons as well. Lots of information on diet, stress, sex, and other life issues. The author uses a mixture of eastern and western medicine and tends to diagnose through a mixture of western science and phsychology. The information here is fresh, well researched and well presented. Just a very long read!
Jostalady
Feb 25, 2009 Jostalady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate how much I learned in this book. Notable is that here we have a doctor who researched vaccines and chose not to vaccinate her daughter. That had an impact on me that sent me into a huge research project. In the end, I agree with the author and will not be vaccinating my children. I thank her for coming out about it and being specific about the obstacles that make this a challenging choice to uphold in our current society.
Bev
Feb 05, 2008 Bev is currently reading it
I like the fact that the author is both a western trained doctor and open to alternative ways of healing. I especially like how she empowers a person to heal themself and I'm intrigued by the idea that a mother's healing journey can impact her daughter's health. I have two teenage daughters who take their health for granted...so you see why this book jumped out at me on my last trip to Chapters
Krystean
I've just this very second finished reading this phenomenal book by Dr. Christiane Northrup. It's not an easy read. It's informative and at times triggered my buried emotions, but I highly recommend it to all women, not just women who have daughters. I have another of her books called Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom and I can't wait to read it. Thank you, Dr. Northrup, for this book!
Jill
Sep 01, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters
I love how this book is broken down into stages of a daughters growing years, the characteristics are so right on.

As mentioned in the beginning of the book, we are intimately linked to our female legacy, so in order to totally understand our relationship with our daughter's we must first examine our own relationships with our mother's, grandmother's and their own relationships.
Becky
There's so much I love about this book. I've read many books about mother-daughter relationships specific to my relationship with my own mother. This is the first book I read regarding my relationship with my daughters, although it deals with the other mother-daughter relationship in my life, too. It's filled with down-to-earth, no-nonsense information from birth to death.
Mwalkes
Aug 13, 2010 Mwalkes rated it really liked it
Great book with a very interesting perspective as a Western medicine MD/OB-GYN.

Wish I could have read it at least 20 years ago. ("Too soon old, too late smart..." I believe the saying goes....)

Obviously is able to read and interpret research, the pathway to knowledge.

Rosanne
Feb 10, 2009 Rosanne rated it liked it
Groundbreaking, informative exploration of women's roles that soars when providing medical insights. Northrup repeatedly exposes culturally damaging myths about women's roles and health. Provocative, but dismaying when conjectures are presented as conclusions.
Debbi
Mar 23, 2011 Debbi rated it really liked it
A very insightful look at many different health aspects and links between Mothers and daughters. It was amazingly accurate both physically and emotionally. In so many instances I could relate. Sometimes she was a little too far 'out there', but overall I liked it.
Jodi
Mar 09, 2008 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. I recommend it for anyone. If you are a mother, a daughter, a grandmother. A woman period. It has so much in it that i cannot begin to explain. She is a great writer, teacher, and i'm sure a great mother. I hope to meet her one day.
J Ruth
Oct 30, 2011 J Ruth rated it it was amazing
Don't assume your Mama gave you all the training you need in mother-daughter parental realities...this one guides on levels critical for facilitating soulful and brilliant practices into the ancient mother-daughter bond. A supreme guidebook.
Jane Borrowman
Feb 08, 2013 Jane Borrowman rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Dr. Northrup. While I'm not in total agreement on her views of our Creator, I am so appreciative of her wisdoms and knowledge. This book is excellent. I have given it to friends w/daughters and I refer to it offend.
Amy
Dec 15, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chandra Martineau, anybody with daughters
This book was probably the best I have read (besides Mona Lisa Schultz) on mind body medicine. It allowed me to get some insight on what is going on with my daughters and made me think of ways to nurture them to become caring and healthy adults.
Denise
Nov 13, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
One of the most comprehensive, profound resources on this vital relationship I've ever read. I'm going to have to break my rule about buying books and breakdown and buy it. In fact, I might be buying several gift copies, so look out!
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mer
abridged audiobook
as a 51 year old, this was like a review of being female, and for that I did enjoy it. this process also helped with being the mother of a teenaged daughter - the reason Mer referred it!
worth the time.
emma Slachta
Aug 05, 2007 emma Slachta rated it liked it
the link between mother-daughter health is mostly unfortunate for the younger generation. it makes me happy to not have kids, but helps me understand a bit more about my own health issues.
Michelle
Mar 10, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers!!
This book was awesome. Actually, I might give it a 4.75 star rating because some of her stuff is just a teenie bit kooky, but for the most part I think it was wonderful!
DearMYRTLE
Dec 26, 2007 DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, and useful for understanding the dynamics between mothers and daughters. Offers suggestions for making the most of this potentially powerful association.
Alexis Lovemonster Ladyface
Sep 12, 2008 Alexis Lovemonster Ladyface rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
amazing. must read for all daughters, mothers, and anyone who wants to better understand all mothers & daughters. especially pertinent for soon-to-be-moms-of-daughters.
Savi
May 21, 2013 Savi marked it as to-read
Another great book for women. Some great advice I've found to be true/extremely helpful/wise/insightful. I believe we can benefit if we "tuned into" our intuition.
Tiffiny
This is a book I need to own as it will take me quite awhile to get through it and will probably reference it throughout my life as other books by Northrup
Laura Zinger
Sep 09, 2013 Laura Zinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is the bible for motherhood. It's freaking brilliant. I'm not a mother yet, but I'm definitely a daughter and learned so much from this book.
Sonia Shah
So far, so good. Its a big read, but with lots of wonderful information. Taking time to read it because there is so much crucial information.
  • My Mother/My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series, #1)
  • Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success
  • Unbending Gender
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Smart Love
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • The Family Nutrition Book: Everything You Need to Know about Feeding Your Children from Birth Through Adolescence
  • The Ghost in the House: Motherhood, Raising Children, and Struggling with Depression
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times