Start by marking “Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog” as Want to Read:
Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog

Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With more than 150,000 copies sold, Mother Knows Best is one of the top training books of all time. Based on the natural way a mother dog trains her puppies, Benjamin's training method is humane, effective and all natural. Now we've put a bright new cover on a timeless classic.
Published March 1st 1985 by Howell Book House

To ask other readers questions about Mother Knows Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Knows Best

Kat
Dec 25, 2014 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
I have read a lot of training books, both with my previous dog many, many years ago and my current puppy. This book is, by far, one of the best. It appears to be out of print so I was fortunate to get a second hand copy. Terrific book full of handy tips and useful information - all presented in a read-able and enjoyable fashion.
Kat
This a truly excellent dog training book. I am reading and re-reading it as I attempt to train my own little ball of fur and teeth. Carol Benjamin's techniques really do work, becase they have produced some excellently trained dogs in my family. We Arrants people have always had the kind of dogs you can proudly show off to your friends as they calmly obey commands and generously avoid pissing you off by doing terrible things like jumping up or barking excessively. Those dogs were well behaved be ...more
Molly Jones
Nov 18, 2007 Molly Jones rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: future puppy owners
Mother Knows Best is a dog-training manual based on dog psychology. The theory is to repeat the actions that a mother-dog uses to teach her pups. Praise is the main reward instead of food, and ignoring the puppy is the punishment instead of yelling at the dog or locking him up. All of what Benjamin writes makes sense, but in practice I think that the success of her training methods largely depends upon the breed of the dog.
I imagine that especially loyal breeds, Labrador and Golden retrievers fo
Abigail
An approach to training designed to make an obedient, reliable animal of the family dog. It is easy to understand and follow and teaches you how to be in charge from the beginning. You don't have to read it from cover to cover of course, which makes it ideal for those who just got a puppy or for someone who just needs to get their dog back in line. It makes you a responsible dog owner with a disciplined pet that will help you appreciate them more.
I highly recommend this to commited and well disc
Susan
A friend loaned me this book, and I just loved it so much I ordered my own copy! It reads like a story! The lessons get across, but Ms Benjamin inserts humor - had me laughing out loud and I had to read the funny parts to my husband. Now that I have my own copy I can go back, use highlighter and have it for reference always. Even though I adopted my puppy at 6 months of age, the training works for any age dog. As you read along you learn what dog mothers do to influence the pups' behavior. I loo ...more
Samira
Jun 01, 2007 Samira rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog owners
Shelves: non-fiction
I re-read this book and I suppose it is fine, but it says that the dog should not sleep in the bed with you. Perhaps, but I want her there. I also am not totally sure that it is better than any other dog training book out there.
David Sabala
Terrific ideas, and I can see why this book is so popular. This is going to be a wonderful resource for me in the future. I would say these pages will be dog-eared and worn, but it's on my kindle.
Kelly Rose
Excellent book for training your dog. Methods are based on how a mother dog naturally trains her pups. This is a great reference book to invest in.
Great book to help prepare for owning a dog.
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Savannah Santilli
Savannah Santilli marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Anthony Benedict
Anthony Benedict marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A noted dog trainer and former detective, Carol Lea Benjamin is the author of books on canine behavior and training as well as the Rachel Alexander and Dash mystery series. She has been honored by the International Association of Canine Professionals with her election to their Hall of Fame. Ms. Benjamin lives in Greenwich Village with her husband and their dogs.
More about Carol Lea Benjamin...
This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1) The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2) A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3) The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5) Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)