Start by marking “Inception: The Shooting Script” as Want to Read:
Inception: The Shooting Script

Inception: The Shooting Script

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,813 ratings  ·  51 reviews

Inception, writer-director Christopher Nolan’s seventh feature film, joins the epic scope of The Dark Knight with the narrative sophistication of Memento. The story of a group of thieves who specialize in invading the mind through one’s dreams, Inception explores the Nolan’s signature psychological themes of memory, paranoia, and self-doubt as the protagonist, Dom Cobb, is

Published August 17th 2010 by Insight Editions (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Inception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inception

(500) Days of Summer by Scott NeustadterThe Shawshank Redemption by Frank DarabontStar Wars Storyboards by J.W. RinzlerCast Away by William Broyles Jr.Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story by Stanley Kubrick
Storyboards & Shooting Scripts
7th out of 44 books — 4 voters
The Notebook by Nicholas SparksHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
watched the movie..
27th out of 103 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
The movie INCEPTION was in my opinion a masterpiece in its own right and the best movie of 2010. Reading a lot of movie screenplays lately I bought this one, and although found how a shooting script translated to screen fascinating, found the careful fabrications Christopher Nolan set up for his world admirable, especially taking the world of the mind and demonstrating brilliant science-fiction world-building. I'm pretty sure that not all the information given about the human mind is accurate, b ...more
Hannah
what can i say?, great movie,great script
and people said they dont understand it....
pshhhh... im 10 and i think its a piece of cake.
Look, its a man (based on the movie, leonardo dicaprio) who is a thief and he goes into peoples dreams with this amazing invention, now, theres side events such as his wife and her becoming a maniac thinking she was always inside a dream, which made the spinning thingy invention, if it keeps on spinning a dream, if it stops after a while, your not in a dream, so he
Mackenzie
I was very excited when I found out this book existed. I desperately needed something to confirm the questions I had about the movie, because - let's face it - that movie was very, very confusing. I understand that the whole movie itself is an 'inception', Chris Nolan's 'inception' for us the audience. I don't question this and I don't certainly need some book to confirm this fact to me. However, it would definitely be nice to look for clues to fill the gap on those little 'plot holes', for lack ...more
Melanie Kirdasi
I watched it twice.I read the reviews of many attempting to deconstruct the plot,a Rorschach test if I ever saw one. Dicaprio made a comment on record that indicates Nolan's script is autobiographical in nature.Nolan respond to critiques of the plot by remarking on the breakaway at the end.The spinning top,the totem, which each individual has,though Cobb and Mal(look up the French prefix for this name)share this one,saying that Cobb is not looking at the top at the end because it does not matter ...more
Gwen
As an actress, I used to read plays all the time and sometimes preferred them to novels.
It's been quite some time since I've read a
Shooting Script, and the first time reading one for a movie I've seen.
I've seen "Inception" so many times can listen to it and see it very clearly.
The fun thing about reading the script is seeing, in the completed film, the small changes in dialogue that might have been made on the day.
This movie never fails to amaze/amuse/intrigue and completely pull me in.
To be abl
Mayoya Ȝfifi
actually I saw the movie first but I didn't understand it completely ... and from 3 days I found this book on kindle I download the sample first and then I found myself search for the book to read it ..

first of all , I wanna to thank mr.Nolan for this incredible book ...

2nd, the book and movie very close but the book is much prettier cuz I can imagine every single word in it ...

3rd issue , I noticed alot of clever touches especially in that book like in the "hotel" dream level, Eames is disguis
Susan
Jul 24, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read
WOW! What a movie! Wish there was a book so hopefully this will do. :)
Raleigh
If you enjoyed Inception then you'll enjoy this; that much is obvious enough. But if you're one of the people who think this book will be the end all be all to answering your Inception questions, here's a word to the wise: it won't. Unless you have really basic "who said that again?" questions.

Reading the script, though, does actually help in the long run, I think. There really are those "who said what?" moments that, once cleared up, help you enjoy the movie more (I, for one, felt a little lost
Adeesh Bhat
Inception: The shooting Script is basically like a documentary or a companion to the movie "Inception". The book offers the story of inception through the written screenplay and offers notes and visions the director "Christopher Nolan" had for this movie.This book can be read by anyone at all since it is easier to comprehend than the movie and still does an exceptional job of invoking thought. Although, I believe that this book is best read after watching the masterpiece of a film it is.
Claire
There isn't really much to say about a script for a movie that I love as much as I love Inception. All in all I think the script works a lot better in execution than it does when you read it; the flow works much better in the movie and Christopher Nolan obviously reworked a few things when it came to the filming process, which worked well. Some of the dialogue and action was switched around and ultimately the end product is a lot better than what was shown in this script. I did love the script, ...more
Sridevi SJ Srikanth
At first, this book was pretty confusing, but as I kept reading, it made a lot more sense to me. This book took me to a whole new world. I was hooked on from the first page. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Tyler
Inception is currently my favorite movie, and has been since I saw it opening night. I found the script just as riveting as the movie (no shocker, the script is the written form of the movie.
auliafina
Well, I've been reading lots of script of my favorite movies. I love Nolan's works; The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, and lately I've watched Memento. But I always love Inception; it's my first Nolan's movie. He tried to impress the fourteen years old version of me and he made it. Now every time it's played on HBO I'll always watch it.

I'll just recommend this to you who didn't quite understand about inception, dream within a dream within a dream, "Your world is not real." And ev
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Pretty awesome book. It's just a shooting script of one of my favourite movies but it contains a very interesting interview with Christopher Nolan, amazing concept art, drawings and instruction manual for the PASIV device. If you are fan of the movie you will definitely enjoy this one, it will give you a better understanding of the movie.
Ilgvars
Lately some scripts have appeared on my reading list. They are fast to read, focused on dialogues and providing just the most essential information about the environmental context and appearance.
Inception appeared on this list after watching the movie. Got curious, so to speak.
It is a great reading and entertainment, where you want to know what is going to happen next, hope for the happy ending and feel good if the mind is able to comprehend this multilayered puzzle.
I liked it, but it is not my
Daniel Kelly
Great script, but even better is the conversation between the Nolan Bros recorded at the start. Fascinating.
Seffie
I'm a fan of the movie and I simply had to get this book. It was very exciting to see just what changed from the initial script and exactly what made it on screen.

It's the small details that really made it interesting. The difference between who said what line in the finished product and how Nolan initially thought the scene should be. Also interesting, of course, are the lines that didn't make it to the movie.

I love the storyboard sketches so much that I actually wanted to see more of it. The
Carmel
Seriously, I loved Inception, so when I got my hands on the original shooting script, I was all 'YAYYYY'. The script has been refined for the film and the film's dialogue is better (mainly because the "Quick, give me a kiss" line was not in the shooting script). What the script does do, however, is explains bit the movies better which was handy.

The book also includes concept art and a manual for the PASIV. All in all, a very interesting book for Inception lovers.
Paola Valera
Fairly straight-forward. This is really just the Inception script before the final cut that appeared on screen. What I enjoyed most was being able to compare and contrast what was written and what changed in the final cut and direction of the film. The scanned photos of Nolan's notes were a little unclear in spots, but visible enough that it was not just a waste of a page or two.
This is the best ever . I can't imagine how complicated and really hard to write this was.. I enjoyed every line and every word of it and I think I'm ready to read it hundred times in a row . I watched the movie so many times and all I can say is that Christopher Nolan is a genius writer and director.. amazing work!! .. It is a real piece of art that will last forever and ever.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Aryan
The great thing about a screenplay written by writer-director Christopher Nolan is his loglines. They are distinct, thorough. It is great to learn from his loglines and it can help screenwriters, both accomplished or novice, to improve their loglines. The special features are also great.
Marwen
Where have you come up with this stuff Mr Nolan? it's all thanks to that early breakfast schedule in the university ! lol, thank you Christopher and Jonathan for this great insight to this script, I enjoyed very much reading it and recalling in my mind the actual scenes of the movie.
Tinuviel
If you loved the movie, you will love reading the shooting script! Like re-watching the movie, only it's unfolding in your head. :D Doesn't answer a lot of questions, but it does clear up some confusion about the dialogue if you happened to miss a line here and there while watching it.
Kevin
I don't even own this book, but I sat through the film and it loaded like junk: I get it, he doesn't care if he's home in reality. He's just glad to be home; a credit card/insurance commercial posing as a film. Toss it in the wind, erase it from your head.
Kat
awesome! ant fan of the film would love this!! its fantastic to read how the writers wrote the film, concept art and then go watch the film again with new eyes, how the actors make it their own.. simply awesome!! a real must :-)
Elise
I love this movie so much. The script and the stuff before and after just really make it shine. And there were things that I understood better after reading it. Love this movie, again :)

Date finished October 1 2011
Kes
Since I love that movie so much, it didn't surprise me that I would actually buy this script book. It's kind of hard for me to love every main characters in the movie, and the CG arts inside are soooo brilliant.
Bri Zabriskie
At first I was hesitant about reading this book, but it is required reading for one of my classes. After an explanation of how Christopher Nolan incorperats Jungian theory into his scripts, I am intrigued.
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • An Improvised Life
  • (500) Days of Summer: The Shooting Script
  • Gladiator
  • The Truman Show: The Shooting Script

Christopher Jonathan James Nolan (born July 30, 1970) is a British-American film director, screenwriter and producer. He is known for writing and directing such critically acclaimed films as Memento (2000), the remake Insomnia (2002), the film adaptation The Prestige (2006),
More about Christopher J. Nolan...
The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Complete Screenplays with Storyboards Memento & Following Batman Begins Inception: The Cobol Job Interstellar: The Complete Screenplay with Selected Storyboards

“COBB: You're waiting for a train. A train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter...
Mal looks at his across the railroad tracks. Replies-
MAL: Because you'll always be together.”
29 likes