Start by marking “The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  16 reviews
WWW may be an acronym for the World Wide Web, but no one could fault you for thinking it stands for wild, wild West. The rapid growth of the Web has meant having to rely on style guides intended for print publishing, but these guides do not address the new challenges of communicating online. Enter The Yahoo! Style Guide. From Yahoo!, a leader in online content and one of t ...more
Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Yahoo! Style Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yahoo! Style Guide

Scot Marvin
Great style guide. Replaces the out-of-date Microsoft Manual of Technical Publications. I can't believe that I'm writing about a frickin' style guide. I have no life.
Bakari
It has been a while since I actually read a style usage book. As a writer, I read and write constantly, so every book, article, website, brochure, email, and even utility bills I peruse are style manuals of sorts. I always notice what words and style conventions are used in texts I read.

But with the instantaneous pace of writing and publishing these days, there’s much inconsistency when it comes to grammar and punctuation rules, word usage and style, readability standards, and just plane old cle
Tamara
Provides tons of examples of how to write and format text for the web.

Am going to have to actually buy it, I think, if just for Chapter 13 which covers how to shorten and strengthen sentences. I am just too WORDY!

Notes:

Readability statistics can be generated through Microsoft Word. (Flesch Reading Ease = 60+, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level Test = 6 or less.)

Alternatives to "Click here" = Learn more. Buy here.

Keep "if" before "then".

Concept of parallel structure (p.59)

Express one main point per
Emilyn
The Yahoo! Style Guide is an excellent introduction to writing for the web. It is concise and covers all the major concerns for how web writing is different from writing in traditional formats. It also addresses such important topics as search engine optimization, accessibility, proper html tagging methods, laws concerning online content and basic webpage coding. There are also clear, fairly thorough sections concerning such important traditional style guide matters as punctuation, grammar and p ...more
Michelle
I was not sure what to think of this book. I understand the basic premise that we need to keep things simple when promoting and writing for a blog or website online. My problem lies in the fact that this style guide teaches you to have no substance in your writing. Maybe I'm just too traditional.
It is more or less Strunk's Style guide for the web and new age digital media. Nonetheless, it is a great resource for the modern blogger.
Erika Grey
The Yahoo Guide is the online Chicago Manual of Style. A must for all writers to train for writing for the net. The lists and many examples get a bit mundane and do not lend to the work being an interesting read throughout, but such is the case of most manuals. If you are a writer and it is not in your library, you need to purchase it and have it among your reference books.
Michele
A comprehensive style guide for creating digital content; kind of like Strunk's Elements of Style for the digital space. The book gets less than a perfect review because DANG, it's huge!! It's definitely a desk reference. Would be nice to have something a bit more portable that I could toss into my laptop bag, but I guess that's what the Kindle version is for, right?
John
Somewhere between Strunk and White's Elements of Style and The Chicago Manual of Style for web writers. I think the book could be a good reference source, but some chapters are too basic for content creators.
Esther
This is a comprehensive guide on effective writing for digital media. There are some sections is catered to the American audience which might not be relevant to all readers.
Kay
All the essentials for writing good English and for making top-notch Web pages presented simply, clearly = best how to make the best digital content!!
Vera
Not exactly finished with this book as it is a manual that I am sure I will refer to all the time. Fantastic resource.
Sherry Umlah
An interesting read, but there are exceptions to every rule in the book and it's a lot to remember!
Charles Franklin
Great reference book. Will add to the reference shelf
Norma Endersby
Every writer should read this!
Eril
Eril marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Yury Vetrov
Yury Vetrov marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jacky Alciné
Jacky Alciné marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Peter Holzer
Peter Holzer marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sean
Sean added it
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • The Elements of F*cking Style: A Helpful Parody
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • The Smashing Book
The Yahoo Style Guide: Writing for an Online Audience The Yahoo! Style Guide The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World