Prospero's Cell

Prospero's Cell

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This work explores the Greek island of Corfu, evoking the sunshine landscape and blue skies of the Aegean.
Published March 1st 2001 by Faber & Faber (first published February 20th 1974)

Shovelmonkey1
Feb 27, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are looking for an Alexandria Quartet come-down
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: Paul Theroux
Fate can be a cruel mistress. And sometimes she can be wonderfully kind and place all the ingredients in the right place at the right time thereby creating something almost on the other side of wonderful. Lawrence Durrell could have been born in a time and place when he chose or was forced to have a static existence. He might have lived without the funds to furnish his travels and his exploration of all sides of the Mediterranean. Or he might have been born with funds and an unquenchable wanderl...more
Jim
Years ago when I was young, Lawrence Durrell was a god to me; and his Alexandria Quartet was like sacred scripture. Now that I have aged and learned a thing or two, I see that Durrell is something of a phony. His book on Corfu -- Prospero's Cell -- has many of the same characteristics that I loved in the Quartet: the significant encounters with a group of eccentric characters, leading to significant discussions and multiple epiphanies based on their knowledge of the local area.

Now that I am bet...more
Ariel Evans
Somewhere between Calabria and Corfu the blue really begins. All the way across Italy you find yourself in a landscape severely domesticated--each valley laid out after the architect's pattern, brilliantly lighted, human. But once you strike out from the flat and desolate Calabrian mainland toward the sea, you aware of a change in the heart of things: aware of the horizon beginning to stain at the rim of the world, aware of islands coming out of the darkness to meet you.

In the morning you wake
Josh
This is probably my favorite book to read and read again when the weather gets cold. Inspires travel lust and urges to quit one's job. A collection of Durrell's memories, journal entries and highly romanticized impressions from his travels in Corfu, Greece, before WWII.
Ryan Murdock
Born in colonial India in the foothills of the Himalayas but sent to boarding school in England, Lawrence Durrell hated the buttoned-up lifestyle of the north. When his father died he saw an opportunity to escape. Somehow, by some incredible art of persuasion, he convinced his mother to pack up their entire family—four children, of whom he was the eldest—and move them all to the Greek island of Corfu.

They lived a crazy island life with eccentric locals and writers dropping by—people like Freya S...more
Lucynell
Feeling very ambiguous about this slim part-memoir part-travelogue by Lawrence Durrell. Clarity, I think, is the issue here. Though the author relishes in attractive poetic form, whether describing people or places, the weather even, I felt as stumbling on air. Not a nice feeling. I believe I've come across books like this one before, very sophisticated stuff, often beautiful, usually confusing. A better reader will enjoy this much more than I did.
Sandy
I enjoyed this book as a poetic and adult complement to Gerald Durrell's childhood memories of Corfu. Many of the same characters reappear and are seen thru Lawrence's adult eyes. The epilogue is sad; the island seems to have been a bombing range during WWII.
Katy
I think I enjoyed this book because it contains echoes of Gerald Durrell, in the same way that I like Beethoven's Eroica Symphony because it reminds me of his Pastoral Symphony. In both cases, though, what I really want is the one of which I'm being reminded.
Rachel Brockhurst
Mar 24, 2013 Rachel Brockhurst rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Bee Bishop
Shelves: greece
Durrell's part memoir, part history, part cultural narrative offers a poignant insight into the life of Corcyra between the wars. Enjoyable and charming, of a very different time. A great gift for anyone travelling to the Greek Islands.
Jonathan
i love his descriptive prose but this one is a little dry. still i long to be there with the group sipping wine and enjoying the conversation and roar of the sea. the rustic beauty summoned by Durrell is so enchanting.
Linda
You become aware of islands, coming to meet you.... This travel memoir dedicated to Durrell's first experience in Greece, on the island of Corfu from 1935 -1939 is a sensuous banquet of luminous impressions. Durrell’s travel memoirs are mosaics of history, landscape, folklore, diaries of daily experience filtered through an artist's eye searching for the patterns and the myth below the surface. They are not so much explorations of the soul of place per se, but of the ways the soul of place expre...more
Kirsten
May 16, 2011 Kirsten rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cold people who want to feel alive again
When the Northerly wind blows, find solace here, in some of the most beautiful writing you could read. You will taste the olives. You will feel the sunshine. Corfu of the late 1930's will come alive. And you will even learn some things about Greece, and about silence.

"Presently the carbide lamp is lit and the whole miraculous underworld of the lagoon bursts into a hollow bloom--it is like the soft beautiful incandescence of a gas-mantle lighting. Transformed, like figures in a miracle, we gaze d...more
Clint
Magnificient prose. A little slow at first but first rate later.
Abby Fermont
A mix between biography, travel journal and history writing a fascinating glimpse of life in pre-war Corfu. Some parts seem somewhat dated now, but if you want an idea of what a bohemian lifestyle was like in the 1930s from a male point of view, it's good reading.
Lucy J Jeynes
Poetic, beautiful - and an obvious choice for a holiday in Corfu. I bought it at the White House, just to complete the whole Durrell experience.

Lovely, just lovely.
D
A nice complement to the 'My family and other animals' series by the author's brother. To be read in small installments, as it has been written.
Karen
Wonderfully evocative of a particular island, Corfu, at a particular time - right before WW II. Very beautifully written.
Jessica
Luscious descriptions of Greek life on the island of Corfu, though I wish it were written by a Greek instead of an Englishman.
Vesna
Explicit, romantic and absolutely Greece. Its a painting in words!
One can read it and read again.
Edward A.
Love the clarity and evocation of his style. Wistful look at a magical place, now gone.
Lynne King
Lawrence Durrell's series of travel books are fabulous. I will eventually write review.
David
Another great guide to Corfu.
Mandy
Jun 18, 2008 Mandy is currently reading it
Still Plugging through it...
Natalie Light
Natalie Light marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sonya Horbelt
Sonya Horbelt is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Stephanie Hayes
Stephanie Hayes marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sue H
Sue H marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
  • The Colossus of Maroussi
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • News From Tartary
  • In Search Of England
  • D. H. Lawrence and Italy: Twilight in Italy; Sea and Sardinia; Etruscan Places
  • Flaubert in Egypt: A Sensibility on Tour
  • Noa Noa
  • Alibis: Essays on Elsewhere
  • The Road to Oxiana
  • I See by My Outfit
  • On Persephone's Island: A Sicilian Journal
  • Thrilling Cities
  • The Last Supper: A Summer in Italy
Born in Jalandhar, British India, in 1912 to Indian-born British colonials, Lawrence Durrell was a critically hailed and beloved novelist, poet, humorist, and travel writer best known for the Alexandria Quartet novels, which were ranked by the Modern Library as among the greatest works of English literature in the twentieth century. A passionate and dedicated writer from an early age, Durrell’s pr...more
More about Lawrence Durrell...
The Alexandria Quartet  (The Alexandria Quartet #1-4) Justine (The Alexandria Quartet, #1) Balthazar (The Alexandria Quartet, #2) Mountolive (The Alexandria Quartet, #3) Clea (The Alexandria Quartet, #4)