Start by marking “Where Are They Buried?: How Did They Die? Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places of the Famous, Infamous, and Noteworthy (Revised & Updated)” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Updated with dozens of entries of the newly dead and now in paperback, an irresistible and browsable guide to the lives, deaths, and final resting places of the world's most influential figures.This unparalleled compilation of profiles of the deceased-from Abbott and Costello to Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, from Arthur Ashe to Paul Newman, offers all the pertinent details o ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published May 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Where Are They Buried?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Are They Buried?

Chriss
I could not put this book down! As morbid as it sounded at first, I found myself buried in it, no pun intended, and was fascinated to read about various celebrities and other notorious folks and where they are buried. The author included a a few from most every genre of entertainment and a few that I've never heard of, too. This was a book I read over again and passed along to friends to read, too. Just a fun read overall!
Lisa
Read several out loud at the dining room table for meal time conversation. I think I enjoyed it the most and after about a few days of reading, the family got bored. My youngest kid asked me to read about Amy Winehouse and Tupac's deaths; but alack, they were not to be found.
Derek
A book to satisfy my morbid curiosities! I've always loved reading short biographies of famous people; in this volume, I enjoy the succinct biographies of some of the greats. This book makes for a fun read-aloud or coffee table book.
Lorraine
Nov 08, 2014 Lorraine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in famous and infamous & where they are buried or not !
Glad to find someone else interested in cemeteries and who is in them. I began reading this book as soon as I opened the box it arrived in. The author provides some history on the person, the way that person passed on, and where one can find her/him if so desired. I was not sure if this book would be 'good' as in accurate, interesting, and well-written, but I wanted to find out and I did and it is ! First, I checked out some people in which I have an interest. The 1st was Oliver Hardy of Laurel ...more
Raven
I am loving this book! Currently reading it, but its really good. I am morbid and like knowing how people died, where they died and things like that. This is a fun read for me, but it would also be ideal for someone doing a project on the deaths of famous people on today and yesterday...
Jessyca Mathews
I am reading this book to my students for "Read Aloud" Mondays. This book is fantastic! The morbid side of me wants to know about the deaths of these famous people. I have read the kids the stories of Bruce and Brandon Lee, Phil Hartman, Jim Henson, and William Shakespeare.
Audrey
If you are interested in how famous people have died, this is the book for you. This book is divided into categories and provides a synopsis of how each person died and where they are buried. It made me want to read more about the people, including Howard Hughes.
Haily Lincoln
I have alot going on right now so i wanted to read something that didn't take a whole lot of effort or too much time and this was the book there isn't much to say about this book it was pretty decent i however felt like there could have been something more
Erin
Michele found this for me for super sale on Kindle....my next iPhone read.

Now THIS was a long purse read! Finally finished. Somewhat interesting, but a lot of filler.

Sherri
After you get over the fact that it's kinda morbid and a a fact of life, this book was interesting. Consider it mini-bios of famous people from all walks of life.
Robyn
The title seemed morbid to me at first, but it was so addictive & interesting that I could not put it down! I had to be careful even if I was just leafing thru it (if I was in a hurry), since I would almost always see an entry that intrigued me, & find myself tempted to read ahead. Some people's stories hit me as a shock ("___ is dead? No way! How did I miss that?"). While others I got a sense of "closure" ("So, that's what became of ___. I always wondered..."). The stories of some peopl ...more
Joan Reeves
The Famous Deceased

I just finished reading Where Are They Buried: How Did They Die? Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places of etc. by Tod Benoit. The enormously-long title perfectly describes this entertaining nonfiction book. Some may think the book is a bit morbid, but I found it endlessly fascinating. Maybe that's because my mother was a genealogist who taught me that cemeteries were pretty interesting places.

You see, I grew up in Louisiana where above-ground tombs were rather commonplace. It'
Josh
I read this version, and the original version of "Where Are They Buried How Did They Die" The book is really informative with the content, and includes over 500 concise biographies of military figures, celebs, athletes, etc. While there are some errors in the book when it comes to info given. The general overview info is pretty good. One of the things I find really helpful is that pretty much each biography includes detailed instructions on how to find your favorite celeb, or other personality i ...more
Jean Farrell
A fun little book, with interesting tidbits about lots of interesting people, including where they are buried. A good book to keep in the bathroom, or on your kindle for when you run out of things to read, and just need something to read on the train or over lunch, which is what I did.
HeavyReader
I got about 2/3 of the way through this book, then it was time to hit the road and it just seemed too huge to haul with me.

When I bought the book, I didn't realize it was more about the lives of famous people than about their deaths. If I had known that, I would not have bought it. Really, I'm just interested in the juicy tidbits of the deaths of the rich and famous. I want the dirt. Alas, there is not much dirt here.

The cool thing about the book (for people who want to visit the graves of dearl
Luci
Definitely bathroom reading as each notable person has about a page and a half biography before their resting place is revealed. Do not read this straight through as death after death starts to get sad. Interesting and informative.
Metagion
If you ever had a question about how a celebrity died, or where they're buried, you'll find it here! This book has everything from Frank Zappa to Edward Abbey (and everyone in between!) It also has pictures of the deceased (as they were in life) and, when Mr. Benoit can, also has pictures of what the gravestone looks like. I really do hope that he updates & amends this book (since it's from 2003) with the "latest additions", like Anna Nichole Smith, Rick James, The Queen Mother (Great Britai ...more
Chuck Bedgood
Good book.

Fun to read. I don't imagine ill ever look for the graves, but good stories, nonetheless. Worth the time reading.
Eric
I gave up on this book after the author referred to George Harrison as The Beatles' bassist.
Someone, their editors, and proofers didn't fact check.
LisaEllen
FINALLY I know where Chris Farley is!! And others of course, but as morbid as it may seem, this was kind of cool.
Tara Kovach
Is it wrong that this book is such a fun read? Loved it.
Jeniann Bowers
Excellent read with great info!
Kamicarlson
When I checked this book out, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. A book about dead people?!?! Once I started reading I was surprised that I absolutely loved this book! I found myself reading it every spare second that I had. I loved that it covered a broad range of well known people. It was interesting to read a brief history of their lives and deaths. Every day my kids would ask me who I read about and then I'd tell them a little about the people they recognized. Now I want to go tou ...more
Dan
I love biographies, but sadly there are few people that I find interesting enough to dedicate much of my limited reading time for (a sad side effect of my slug-reading skills). This book was the perfect solution...500+ mini biographies, each of which is only a few pages. Yes, this is like buying a 'greatest hits' album vs a studio one, but it actually is a great way to filter down your full-bio book list. On the flip side, my to-read novel list grew considerably after reading the section on famo ...more
Becky Roper
I've never wanted to see where a celebrity was buried, so the premise of this book was strange to me, and I mostly skipped the parts about directions to gravesites. What WAS interesting were the short little life summaries on a long (650 or so) list of well-known people. I learned some interesting things, and was saddened to note how many died very young due to their lifestyle choices. Such a waste of talent. It was a long book, but easy to stop and start since each little vignette was a page or ...more
Debby  Burton
Short synopsis of each person with exact directions on how to find their graves in the us. Great idea. Lots of work!
Chris
Scintillating bathroom reading! Lurid and mundane details about a wide range of noteworthy people's deaths and burials! Each entry contains a brief synopsis of what exactly was notable about each individual and those are quite good. Author Tod ("death" in German) Benoit ("benediction"--or something like that--in French) writes the best one paragraph explanation of why The Who bassist John Entwistle was so extraordinary at his craft. I don't think I'll read this one cover to cover.
Ann-maree
Ok it sounds macarbe to read something like this. However, within all of us is a fascination of what happened to our favourite personalities of tv, sport and screen, to name but a few. It was a shock to find out alot of movie stars came life came to a tragic end and alot died young. Such amazing talented gifted people, who imparted so much happiness and memories.
A great read. Maybe one day I will go some of these cemetries to have a look:=}
  • The American Resting Place: 400 Years of History Through Our Cemeteries and Burial Grounds
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius
  • The Victorian Celebration of Death
  • Final Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die
  • Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear
  • Corpse: Nature, Forensics, and the Struggle to Pinpoint Time of Death
  • Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
  • Necropolis: London and its Dead
  • Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner
  • Corpses, Coffins, and Crypts: A History of Burial
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • The Hour of Our Death
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt
Where Are They Buried? How Did They Die?: A Guide For Tombstone Tourists Of The South