Start by marking “The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)

The Duke's Perfect Wife (Mackenzies & McBrides #4)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,137 Ratings  ·  558 Reviews
Lady Eleanor Ramsay is the only one who knows the truth about Hart Mackenzie. Once his fiancee, she is the sole woman to whom he could ever pour out his heart.

Hart has it all--a dukedom, wealth, power, influence, whatever he desires. Every woman wants him--his seductive skills are legendary. But Hart has sacrificed much to keep his brothers safe, first from their brutal f
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 296 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Perfect Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke's Perfect Wife

Can't Wait Books of 2012
110th out of 2,453 books — 15,882 voters
A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
4th out of 265 books — 669 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession

I am not going to do a review on this book. I am just going to say that it was a good book, but no where near as good as the others. Hart annoyed me a lot in this book. I still liked him but the things he did drove me batty. I wasn't really feeling this couple. Ian is in this book a lot and that made it better. The thing that I didn't like about this book was the couple is apart for 8 years. They broke up for what I feel is a stupid reason and I don't like all the wasted time. Even afte
Blacky *Romance Addict*
“You need to stay far away from me, Eleanor Ramsay. You say you don’t need protection, but that is exactly what you do need. From me.”

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another great installment on the Highland Pleasures series, loved it, even though I expected more from this book, but oh well :D Hart and Eleanor were great, and I'm looking forward to the next book and seeing more of them together :)

The story

Eleanor Ramsay receives a photograph of her former fiancé, Hart Mackenzie, and decides to pay him a visit and ask for a
Sammy Loves Books
“This was the Hart Eleanor had known years ago, the one she'd agreed without hesitation to marry. He'd had the body of a god, a smile that melted her heart, a sinful glint in his eyes that had been just for her and her alone.”

Hart MacKenzie

Hart

Duke Hart MacKenzie has only ever loved one woman. But she left him years ago, and his life has been full of loss ever since. He married, only to lose his wife and son in childbirth.

Hart caressed the letters of baby Graham’s name. “Mac likes to say, We’re Mac
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4.5 stars.

I've missed you. I've missed you so much it's breaking my heart.

El, I've missed you. I've died a little every day without you.

Lady Eleanor Ramsay is lurking among a flock of journalists in St. James's Street, waiting for the great Hart Mackenzie, Duke of Kilmorgan, emerging from his club. Eleanor had come to change his life, and she is here to present a business proposition. Someone sent Eleanor a somewhat compromising photograph of Hart. She is quite happy to announce that she'd be pl
Jennifer Ashley
Hart's book. Heroine: Eleanor Ramsay. Pub date is now April 2012.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 29, 2012 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books

4.5 flames

“Hart Mackenzie. It was said he knew every pleasure a woman desired and exactly how to give it to her. Hart wouldn't ask what the lady wanted, and she might not even know herself, but she would understand once he'd finished. And she'd want it again."

Thus begins the smokin' first paragraph of The Duke's Perfect Wife.

I’ve wanted Hart’s story since I first saw him in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. He was such an ass to Beth, yet his love for hi
Erika
The Lord of Scoundrels is the first, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is the second, and The Duke's Perfect Wife is the third romance book that left me speechless and unable to share my thoughts and my feelings in a review by the time I finished reading it. So I'll just tell you how many stars I gave to this book and the reasons in a simple way.

Five stars to Hart Mackenzie. For his pride, his passion, his mistakes, his pain, his roughness, his sacrifices, his burdens, his responsibilities, his
Dija
May 08, 2012 Dija rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fan(girl)s of Scottish men in kilts.
Now that I've read all the Mackenzie brothers' books, I can finally compose the lists I've wanted to since the beginning.

Favorite heroine:

1. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
2. The Duke's Perfect Wife
3. The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
4. Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage

The chemistry between Eleanor and Hart can be felt even in Cam's book, and Ashley develops their relationship in an entire
Booklover, Indianapolis
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
5+ STARS!!!

Posted on Under the Covers

Describe the book in three words

Suz: I love Hart...hmm or maybe Contains Hot Highlanders!

Annie: HART.IS.MINE.

Suz: ACTUALLY, I think you will find Hart is mine

*tug of war over Hart commences, Suz wins ofcourse, hehehe!*

The cover: Love it or Hate it?

Suz: Not a fan, I think that the other covers are better, especially Cam's book!

Annie: LOVE IT! It’s Paul Marron. In a Kilt. As Hart Mackenzie. Must I go on?

Hart Mackenzie: Sexy Dominant Highland God or Controlling
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I so wanted to give this book 5* because there was so much I loved about it but there were a few issues that really bugged me and so I'm rating it 4.5*.

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT THIS BOOK

Hart and Eleanor

As with everything else, Hart had planned with precision how he intended to win Eleanor back and make her his wife. Poor Hart! Things don’t go completely to plan and it was wonderful to see that famous self-control crack when she unexpectedly walks back into his life. He’s so used to controlling everyth
Catherine
*This is a joint review that was originally posted on Fiction Vixen*

Today Amy and I (Catherine) are talking about The Duke’s Perfect Wife. We both are such big fans of this series that we couldn’t resist doing a joint review for you guys. This is a conversational review, so we might reveal more than a regular review would, but spoilers will be kept to a minimum.
Elizabeth (Liz)
Apr 15, 2012 Elizabeth (Liz) rated it really liked it
This was very good, though it was not my favorite of the series!

This book seemed to lack the bit of sweeping historical romantic grandeur that the other books in the series have had. It just didn't feel as 'big' and 'important' as the other stories did, though I can tell that the author did try to accomplish that. I give her credit for the attempt.

Let's discuss Hart. It was almost like the author had Hart on a leash (ahem), and wouldn't let him loose to show his true devilish colors. Hart *was*
Lover of Romance
OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVED this one!! I can't even put into words how much I fell in love with "The Duke's Perfect Wife". I actually haven't read this series for quite a few years, not since they first came out, and I can't believe it took me so long to read this one. Ever since the first in the series, I just fell in love with all of the characters. How great it was to see them all in Hart's story. Hart I have always loved...even though he is manipulative and craves power...but more importantly he l ...more
Keri
Mar 03, 2016 Keri rated it it was amazing
10 +++ stars! WoW!!! WoW!! Just wow! I will make a lame attempt to review this book. Lady D, Dhes or Auntie will do this a 1000 times better than me. But if I don't say something I will explode or something. This is of course Hart's book. Hart is the book we have been waiting for, we adored Ian, Mac and Cameron's books and the ladies that finally tamed their wild Mackenzie hearts. But we knew that Hart's book was going to be special. It had to be, Hart after being head of his family for years, p ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 01, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans
4 solid stars

Hart Mackensie finally re-meets his match while using his political clout to become Prime Minister. He has become a slave to his ambitious politcal goals. As his story progresses, the sacrifices he has made to protect his family are revealed. His love for his brothers, especially Ian, is profound but it has never stopped him from trying to manipulate their lives for a positive outcome.

Eleanor is a worthy match. She was a little hard for me to figure out at first. I wasn't sure if s
Daniella
Jan 10, 2016 Daniella marked it as hr-purgatory
Welcome to my HR Purgatory shelf !

In Roman Catholicism, the purgatory is where the souls of the dead wander in an indefinite state. They stay in such a state unless they "become fit for heaven" at some point. Similarly, this shelf is where books that I am warned about stay—untouched and unread—unless a very compelling reason forces me to read them.

***

Reason(s) for putting The Duke's Perfect Wife in this shelf:
Manwhore H is a manwhore. He wasn't celibate during the separation, while the h rema
Beanbag Love
Apr 08, 2012 Beanbag Love rated it liked it
I guess this could be a 3.5 and I hate to rate it low, but it's just not up to the standard set by the previous three.

Hart and Eleanor are great characters and I love their chemistry. She's his first love, pretty much his only love, and if he hadn't blown it during their first engagement, he'd have been married to her long ago.

Eleanor is the impoverished daughter of a flighty earl. She comes to Hart with an offer to help him if he'll hire her. She not only needs the money, she's in possession o
Wendy
Hart the oldest of the Mackenzie brothers has taken over the dukedom from a father who was a ruthless monster, and has left all the brothers scarred. He takes over the burden of being the protector of his brothers from their father's notorious temper, and has overseen and controlled the family for many years. Yet he secretly yearns for an easy and carefree life with the woman he let get away Eleanor Ramsay.

Eleanor Ramsay is such a bubbly and happy person you can't help but love her. She's gener
Sophie ♥
A satisfying ending to one of my new favourite historical romance series. I loved Hart from book one and had been looking forward to reading his story the most. As some of you have already mentioned, the part Ian plays in this is genius. I actually knew what Ian had done in the very few pages of the book. I think that spoilt it a little bit for me but... oh well. The only critism I would have of Jennifer Ashley's books is that her heroines always give in too easily! I suppose that just goes to s ...more
Ronyell
After reading the previous “Highland Pleasures” books “The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie,” “Lady Isabella’s Scandalous Marriage” and “The Many Sins of Lord Cameron,” I was excited to see that Jennifer Ashley had a new book from the “Highland Pleasures” series called “The Duke’s Perfect Wife,” staring Hart Mackenzie and I admit, this book took me quite by surprise!

Lady Eleanor Ramsay was once engaged to the Scottish Duke, Hart Mackenzie and was madly in love with him. Unfortunately, Eleanor broke
Whitney
Aug 18, 2015 Whitney rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I liked this one. And it can be a standalone but I've read the others in the series. If you haven't, it may be somewhat confusing. But, I will admit the construction of this book was kind of weird/odd. A lot of flashbacks and vague comprehension of what happened in the past, then explained further in the book. It wasn't bad, just different. Overall, I liked this story.
Audrey
May 21, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
4+ stars. Read it in one sitting. An awesome book up until it fizzled out for me in the last 40 pages or so. I really enjoyed watching the characters and their interactions. I think I liked this one the best of all of the brothers' books.

The story, briefly.
Two strong personalities, a decade-ago engagement broken by the furious heroine, and a hero who wants her back by (almost) any means necessary. Mix in the means by which he can lure her into his snare (risque photographs of him that have shown
Tishke
I was hoping Eleanor keeps away from Hart or, as I call him, "heartless" for another ten years or more; of all the brothers, he was the "sick" one.

In The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, I found Hart McKenzie to be a despicable human being. He manipulated his brothers and others for his own selfish gain. He treated his mistress, his wife, various prostitutes he employed in a separate house, and his sister in-laws like dirt. He had no regard for anyone. This is a man who beds and asphyxiates a pros
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Review to come on Under the Covers Book Blog

Myself and Annie decided to do a joint review!

Describe the book in three words

Suz: I love Hart...hmm or maybe Contains Hot Highlanders!

Annie: HART.IS.MINE.

Suz: ACTUALLY, I think you will find Hart is mine

*tug of war over Hart commences, Suz wins ofcourse, hehehe!*

The cover: Love it or Hate it

Annie: LOVE IT! It’s Paul Marron. In a Kilt. As Hart Mackenzie. Must I go on?

Hart M
Gina
Jan 20, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
I am running out of ways to say I love this series!!! Here was another winning book in this series, I am in love love love!!

This is about the oldest brother Hart, the Duke of Kilmorgan, a hard driven ambitious and controlling man. No one sees any other side of him, except once someone had, Lady Eleanor Ramsey, the woman who had broken off their engagement years ago. But now Hart is closed off, nothing of the man's emotions and feelings are allowed to see daylight. Till one day Eleanor shows up i
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
I disliked Hart in the previous books and still do. He's arrogant, condescending, demeaning, selfish, obsessive, super controlling. And none of those in a hot alpha male way, more the bastard way.

Eleanor was a great heroine. She's funny & inquisitive & doesn't put up with Hart's nonsense. One of the few that stands up to him.

Hart's "darkness inside" is hinted about from the beginning of the book till the end & it's very tedious. He likes dom-sub(he's the dom) and some bdsm. But the
Zoe
Oct 26, 2015 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I have officially read all four Mackenzie brothers' stories. And despite the fact that I do liked Mac's and Hart' stories, I am definitely seeing a pattern, in terms of how I respond to Jennifer Ashley's stories.

I do like Hart and Eleanor and have to say they are my favorite couple. But it had everything to do with Hart, Eleanor could have been much better, but she was adequate. I think this book is on the darker, more mature side because of Hart. Not just because of age but just his charac
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This was probably my least favorite of the Highland Pleasures series, and that would be because I didn't much care for either of the protagonists. Hart is rigid, high-handed, and arrogant, and Eleanor is manipulative. They both play emotional games with those around them, and I have a hard time connecting with characters like that. Still, it wasn't a terrible book, and I enjoyed reading about the Mackenzie clan, even if these were the lesser characters of the family.
NiteReader
Apr 04, 2013 NiteReader rated it really liked it
Out of the four MacKenzie brothers, I had the least interest in Hart. But after a slow start, I was once again immersed in their wonderful world and couldn't help but like Eleanor and in turn, Hart. The epilogue was perfection!! The descriptions of each family portrait were a perfect recap of the epic MacKenzie family.
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Temptation  & Twilight (The Brethren Guardians, #3)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • The Saint (Highland Guard, #5)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Mackenzies & McBrides (10 books)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)

“...Mac, I want you to go back to the house and make sure the ladies don't get the idea to go searching as well. I told Eleanor not to, but you know the Mackenzie females."

Mac scowled."Hell, Hart, can't you find something easier for me to do? Go up against an army of assassins in my underwear, maybe?”
20 likes
“Everything matters.Everything you do touches someone in some way, even though you might not understand that.” 19 likes