Brunetti's Cookbook

Brunetti's Cookbook

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Among their many pleasures, Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunetti novels have long been celebrated for their mouth-watering descriptions of food. Multicourse lunches at home with Paola and the children, snacks grabbed at a bar with a glass of wine or two, a quick sandwich during a busy day, or a working lunch at a neighborhood trattoria in the course of an investigation...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2009)

Jan Polep
Okay, I didn't really read anything but the recipes and copied a few for my resident chef to try. Good Italian cooking!
Trish
Mar 02, 2014 Trish marked it as skimmed  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, crime, nonfiction
The concept of this book was intriguing--a cookbook that gives us recipes for some of the fictional Paola Brunetti's culinary concoctions from the Donna Leon series of books set in Venice. The recipes are not meant to be exotic, and to residents of that watery city by the sea, I don't suppose they are. But to inland residents of America they seem unattainable. Partly this may be because the ingredients must be absolutely fresh. There are not many ingredients in these simple home-made meals, so p...more
Homerun2
Lovely read. The cookbook part is interesting, and certainly makes you want to travel to Italy, but I don't know that I will ever make a recipe from it. To me, the best parts of this book were the wonderful Excerpts from various Brunetti novels, all involving a family meal interchange. Absolutely worth a read.
Loraine
This is indeed a cookbook! Vegetarians, beware . . . Venetians are omnivores, and do love meat dishes; however, Robera Pianaro has compiled an excellent collection of Venetian recipes that tells the story of dining in Venice, whether it be in the Brunetti family's dining room or a trattoria somewhere in Venice. This is a wonderful companion to the Commissario Brunetti series, because food plays such an important role in Leon's telling of Brunetti's life solving crime, usually murders, in the wat...more
Susan
If I had the money and the shelf space, I'd buy this one. As it is, the library copy will do quite finely. A great accompaniment to the Commissario Brunetti mysteries, even if I sometimes don't understand the Italian names of the ingredients!
Katie
Great cookbook especially for Donna Leon fans. Filled with tantalizing recipes - I especially enjoyed some of the pasta recipes using fresh produce.
Bonnie
As much as I love to read about what Brunetti's eating, there wasn't anything in this cookbook that appealed to me.
Kirsten
I normally don't really read cookbooks but this one I had to read. I love Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti mysteries and have always been intrigued and enticed by the descriptions of the food and drink in these books.

This cookbook was set up very nicely, along with the recipes there were vignettes from different Brunetti novels as well as little anecdotes from the chef/cook who compiled the book. I just wish I was brave enough to prepare any of these wonderful meals.
Sandy Weir
What a beautiful book. I loved the variety and the insertion of selections from Brunetti novels where the actual recipe was mentioned (nice idea). One little thing kept me from giving this 5 stars.... Needed pictures of the finished dishes (in case one would attempt to make these... good supporting guideline with the directions). Well planned, other that that, and researched.
Kay
One of the reasons I read Donna Leon books is to imagine myself in Venice. Reading this book makes you wish to be transported but also makes you understand how the world has affected daily life in Venice. I liked the "culinary stories". The recipes were interesting but I really read it for the allusions to the Brunetti books and the stories of life in Italy.
Beth
I received this book as a gift because I love Dona Leon's mysteries set in Venice and the descriptions of meals that Leon provides in the mysteries. We were going to Venice, so I read all the narrative parts of the cookbook, and they certainly enriched our trip to Venice where we stayed not far from the questura featured in the mysteries.
Kathy

Having read all of Donna Leon's Brunetti detective books, this was a lot of fun. She always puts in her novels great descriptions of the meals he eats, either at work or with his family. This book has excerpts from the book with the food and then the corresponding recipes so you can try them at home. It was very enjoyable
Janet
I loved this cookbook - and I don't cook much. The pasta recipes are great - I made the one with the green olives and pasta - yummy. It is a very pretty book and if you are a Donna Leon fan, you will like how the recipes are linked to her books. This is one cookbook I want to buy - and I don't buy cookbooks for myself!
Alexandra
This book has some delicious looking recipes which I can't wait to try as well as short essays about food in Venice by Donna Leon and excerpts about the food from her mystery aeries with Detective Brunetti. A very beautiful book!
Barb Micetich
delightful mix of family meal scenes from the novels along with great recipes.
Toni
Aug 13, 2010 Toni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lynne
If you enjoy Donna Leon's Commisarrio Guido Brunetti's mysteries and like/love Italian food and cooking you will find this a pleasant read. Leon's friend and Italian cook extrordinaire Roberta Pianaro wrote the recipes, which are sandwiched between vignettes from various Brunetti novels.
Sharon
Have made some really nice dishes from this book and love the notes about which of the Brunetti books each item originates from. Real Italian seasonal ingredients and keep it simple, makes for delicious dishes.
joyce
Yes, if you love Leon, you need this book. Like the Nero Wolfe cookbook, you'll suffer for the lack of equivalent ingredients (well, unless you live in Venice), but... grab the prosecco and munchie-up.
Maureen
I really liked the 'reading' parts of this book and had no time to test out any of the recipes. I'll have to go back someday and get this book again, and cook from it.
Pat Stearman
Don't suppose I'll make many of the recipes but I do like the juxtaposition of Donna Leon's story excerpts and the corresponding recipes.
Gypsy Lady
This book is for those whose mouths start to water as they read Donna Leon's descriptions of Italian cooking and eating.
Margaret McMaster
I read cookbooks like novels before I go to bed. I thought this one was lovely even though I may never cook from it.
Mysteryfan
It includes essays and excerpts from the books. The essays are fun. I don't know if I could make any of the dishes.
Norma
This was a fun read of Northern Italian recipes by Biba Pianaro with insights into Venetian life by Donna Leon.
Doreva
Great idea to mix fiction with a cookbook, but I would have liked a little more diversity in the recipes.
Lesliebasney
Each recipe has a paragraph from the novel in which it appeared. True Venetian food.
Paula
Wonderful companion to Donna Leon's detective series set in Venice. Ah, Bella Italia.
Leslie Jem
Fun, but the recipes are much too involved and contain unavailable ingredients.
Jan
  • Lidia's Italy: 140 Simple and Delicious Recipes from the Ten Places in Italy Lidia Loves Most
  • The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken: A Search for Food and Family
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • Blue Jelly: Love Lost and the Lessons of Canning
  • Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Stolen Figs: And Other Adventures in Calabria
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • The Nero Wolfe Cookbook