The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)

The Survivor (Jacob Striker #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Columbine. Dunblane. Virginia Tech. Winnenden. But Saint Patrick's High?

Published March 1st 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2011)

Yvann S
"When you're in a field full of horses, don't go looking for zebras. All you'll find is more horses."

From the blurb: In his first hour back from a six-month leave of absence, Detective Jacob Striker’s day quickly turns into a nightmare. He is barely on the scene at his daughter’s high school when he encounters an Active Shooter situation. Three men wearing hockey masks – Black, White and Red – have stormed the school with firearms and are killing indiscriminately. Striker takes immediate action....more
Kim (Bookishly Me)
This is Sean Slater's debut novel and I must say I really liked it. You get pulled in right from the start and it doesn't let you go until you close the book.

I thought the story was great. We all know that school shootng take place from the news but Slater made the plot really great. So no sully high school kid who goes on a rampage here.

No he made this story about. The background of Red Mask is well thought out and believable.

The characters are well developed. Striker is a tough man and cop, wi...more
Sue Smith
This book was not what I expected. It started out fast and furious .... and I thought it was going to be somewhat predictable in the progression of the plot. It wasn't.

The pace doesn't slow for the entirety of the story and it's a no-holds-barred, in-your-face violence and action that keeps you compelled to keep reading. Even when you don't know if you want to.

Great read! And awesome Canadian content (Vancouver based). Covers a universal problem - Gang activity and the related violence that surr...more
Dylan Edwards
Very much a thrill ride and in so doing lots of details are 'skimmed' over ...nevertheless a ride that sucks you in and great for a bit of escapism
Sharal Hunter
What begins as a typical run of the mill school shooting quickly escalates into much more. As a reader, I normally do not like a bunch of plot twists and sub-plots that sometimes cloud the main story. Fortunately, this worked for me in this story. As a society, we have seen more news about violence that it is easy to become desensitized to the horror of it. Had this book been about just a school shooting and the subsequent investigation, I probably would have given up on it. In this story, the s...more
Lily
The Survivor by Sean Slater
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Columbine. Dunblane. Virginia Tech. Winnenden. But Saint Patrick's High?

In his first hour back from a six-month leave of absence, Detective Jacob Striker's day quickly turns into a nightmare. He is barely on scene five minutes at his daughter's high school when he encounters an Active Shooter situation. Three men wearing hockey masks - Black, White, and Red - have stormed the school with firearms and are killing indiscriminately...more
The Sunday Book Review
I am a huge fan of police drama and action. This book had me hooked from the first chapter. We have all heard and know about Columbine and other school shootings. Here we follow Detective Stiker (and his partner, though I didn't relate very much with her) as they search for the third gunman they weren't able to put down at the school. His character had everything we might expect from the stereotypical cop. The attitude, the scorn for the higher-ups and the passion to get the job done. His partne...more
Cath
On his first day back after a six month stress leave Jacob Striker has to deal with three shooters in a school. Not just an ordinary school, but his daughter’s school.
Striker kills two of the shooters, but the third escapes.
Time is running out an Striker has to get the other one fast, before more people die.
Who is this mysterious killer and why is it so hard to take him out? There is more to the shooting than first meets the eye.
Like the cover says it’s a game of cat and mouse. There will be onl...more
Dave Watson
****SPOILER ALERT****

I enjoyed this book, loved the style of writing and would definitely read more from this author, however there were a few parts of the plot that were weak and I just hope these were the mistakes of a new writer.

My biggest problem with the whole plot was the inability of a whole police force to find Riku, or at least know that she went by her nickname; whilst Striker wasn't focused on the search for the girl, there would undoubtedly have been someone tasked to do just that. T...more
Hilde
In an interview on the Simon & Schuster website Sean Slater reveals that Lee Child and James Patterson are some of his favourite authors, and after reading The Survivor, this does not surprise me. The book is a gritty, fast-paced thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat from the first page.

This is a book I probably would not have picked up had I not received an ARC of it, but I am glad I got the chance to read it. The setting (Vancouver) was completely new to me, as was the subj...more
Caitlin
A very muscular police action story. Lots of running and gunning and chasing people down and yelling in corridors and hating superiors and kicking down doors and drinking lattes and eating pastries (apparently Canadian cops don't eat plain old coffee and donuts) and ... you get the picture.

That is to say that this was a quick read and relatively enjoyable if not ultimately fulfilling. It's a cop book that's less a police procedural and more a novel wanting to be an action movie. I like that stuf...more
Pat
Very entertaining read. This book was fast-paced and difficult to put down. A high school massacre, but all is not as it seems. The sequel is calling to me...
Sian
Punchy writing with 'real-feeling' characters. Good story-line. Has an episodic feel - bit like watching 24.
Ina
Guys in hockeymasks shoots at a High School. Detective Striker get a busy day on his first day after being away from work for six months. Why did the guys attack the school and who are they?
This book had such a promising start but then it got a bit slow and it got too many stories in one. It didn't kept my attention all the way. It was like suddenly reading another story than the beginning, which was a little weird to me. Overall the book is actually good in many ways, but I wish the characters...more
Sheila
A bit gory for my taste, but a good read all the same.
Dorothy Lloyd
Liked the lower mainland references.
Simon Gosden
Dunblane, Virginia Tech, Columbine...what would you do if on your first day back at work after six months leave of absence your day turns into a nightmare. Deective Jacob Striker goes to his daughter's high school when three men wearing hockey masks start shooting and killing the students. Striker returns fire, killing two of the men but one, Red Mask esapes. This is a grisly and violent thriller but it grips and you have to keep turning the pages as the body count rises. Superior thriller.
Cynthia
Great effort for a first book. Definitely a page turner, the action flowed well and the protagonist was well developed. I didn't have the issues some have written with respect to his partner. Their relationship is complicated; I don't think she came off as cold however the writer does allude to her ability to distance herself from the carnage they experience. Perhaps this will be developed in future novels. She is as distanced as Striker is emotional and explosive. Great book!
Sue
Started out great but didn't continue like that. I liked the main character, his daughter, well, teenager, she wasn't too bad. Didn't like his partner and couldn't really see why they were attracted to each other. Actually, with the way she was always defending their idiot boss I thought for sure she was involved with him.

Didn't like the ending at all. Probably not going to read another book by this author.
Ginny
I loved this book! It was fast paced with a great story line. Characters I enjoyed reading about and hope to read more.

This book is really long, but it never felt long. I had a hard time putting it down and could't wait every night to get a chance to read.

Not only is the story well written, but the details are amazing. You feel like you are right there with Detective Slater!
Wonderbunny
More like 3.5 Stars but I found this enjoyable and a quick read. The story flowed quickly and as action packed. I would have liked to see a little bit more time spent on the characters but I thought as a blend between developing a quick action thriller and the characters it worked pretty well.
Pisinat
Enfin terminé ! Voilà une éternité que je l'ai commencé. Et pourtant je n'ai pas lâché. Car malgré un rythme plus qu'aléatoire, entre des périodes d'action presque trop courtes, et des longues presque interminables, le fond est plutôt bon. Dommage, ou rendez-vous manqué.
Tracey
Not the most exciting thriller. A very complex plot - that takes a long time to get to the point of why! The only redeeming part of the book was the ending for Courtney and her dad Detective Jacob Striker!
Patricia

Debut Canadian police procedural written by a policeman - setting Vancouver - interesting book - I would try another by this author -
Elaine Morton
Hard to put down. A great mix of characters and a plot with lots of twists and turns but always plausible. Want to read his second book.
Maria
A really good debut novel...easy read, good plot. Can't wait to read the other 2 he has written.
Blair O'byrne
Damn good book, have found an author up there with Lee Childs
Cathryn
Great read. Hooked me from the start!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Chilling Thrillers: THE SURVIVOR by Sean Slater 1 7 Aug 08, 2012 07:05AM
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • Deviant Ways
  • Red Means Run
  • The Stop: How the Fight for Good Food Transformed a Community and Inspired a Movement
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • The Scottish Banker of Surabaya (Ava Lee, #5)
  • The Poisoned Pawn
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Devil She Knows
  • The Guardians
  • Telling Lies (Laurel and Helen New York Mystery #1)
  • The Deception of Livvy Higgs
  • Dakota Child
  • Ember and Ash
  • The Penguin Book of Classical Myths
  • Echoes
  • Deadlock (Ryan Lock, #2)
Sean Slater is the pseudonym for Vancouver Police Officer Sean Sommerville. As a police officer, Sommerville works in Canada's poorest slum, the Downtown East Side - an area rife with poverty, mental illness, drug use, prostitution, and gang warfare. He has investigated everything from frauds and extortions to homicides. Sommerville has written numerous columns and editorials for the city newspape...more
More about Sean Slater...
Snakes & Ladders The Guilty (Jacob Striker #3) The Guilty. Sean Slater 9781471101373 Dust & Bones