Start by marking “The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)

The Survivor (Jacob Striker #1)

Columbine. Dunblane. Virginia Tech. Winnenden. But Saint Patrick's High?

Published March 1st 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor

Sharon Mccall
Apr 12, 2015 Sharon Mccall rated it really liked it
OK a four star read that was really only a 3.5 but there is potential for this guy to become a recurring author in my book reading list.

In The Survivor we meet Jacob Striker on his first day back at work as a cop in Vancouver's homicide Major Crimes unit and are led straight into the middle of his struggles with his teenaged daughter who has decided to skip school at what turns out to be the best time as a gang of spree shooters turn up and start taking out the school kids. Unlucky for the shoot
Yvann S
Aug 07, 2011 Yvann S rated it it was ok
"When you're in a field full of horses, don't go looking for zebras. All you'll find is more horses."

From the blurb: In his first hour back from a six-month leave of absence, Detective Jacob Striker’s day quickly turns into a nightmare. He is barely on the scene at his daughter’s high school when he encounters an Active Shooter situation. Three men wearing hockey masks – Black, White and Red – have stormed the school with firearms and are killing indiscriminately. Striker takes immediate action.
Kim (Bookishly Me)
May 16, 2011 Kim (Bookishly Me) rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
This is Sean Slater's debut novel and I must say I really liked it. You get pulled in right from the start and it doesn't let you go until you close the book.

I thought the story was great. We all know that school shootng take place from the news but Slater made the plot really great. So no sully high school kid who goes on a rampage here.

No he made this story about. The background of Red Mask is well thought out and believable.

The characters are well developed. Striker is a tough man and cop, wi
Sue Smith
Sep 06, 2012 Sue Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not what I expected. It started out fast and furious .... and I thought it was going to be somewhat predictable in the progression of the plot. It wasn't.

The pace doesn't slow for the entirety of the story and it's a no-holds-barred, in-your-face violence and action that keeps you compelled to keep reading. Even when you don't know if you want to.

Great read! And awesome Canadian content (Vancouver based). Covers a universal problem - Gang activity and the related violence that surr
Dylan Edwards
Aug 29, 2011 Dylan Edwards rated it liked it
Very much a thrill ride and in so doing lots of details are 'skimmed' over ...nevertheless a ride that sucks you in and great for a bit of escapism
Deborah
Jun 19, 2016 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2016
First book I've read set in Vancouver, loved it. I've ordered the next couple of Striker novels
Philip
Nov 05, 2016 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very good escape read and it's possibly worth more than the 3 stars I have awarded but I'm a bit reluctant to award too many stars to a first novel by an author, especially if it is the first in a series, until I see the development in the books that follow. Once again I broke my rules and bought a novel by an author I haven't read because it is in my list of books shortlisted for Arthur Ellis awards and the blurbs, synopses and reviews kind of sounded like it may be OK and ...more
Danita
Nov 18, 2016 Danita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book surprised me, especially considering it is the author's debut. It is skillfully put together and suspenseful until the end. I would love to read more books from him.
Lenore
Oct 01, 2016 Lenore rated it liked it
This story started with a school shooting and evolved into an Asian gang revenge tale somehow. I got confused a couple of times with who was who and where exactly this story was going. I'm not sure that I would go out of my way to try the second book in this series if there is one.
Sherri Hunter
Mar 15, 2012 Sherri Hunter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thriller
What begins as a typical run of the mill school shooting quickly escalates into much more. As a reader, I normally do not like a bunch of plot twists and sub-plots that sometimes cloud the main story. Fortunately, this worked for me in this story. As a society, we have seen more news about violence that it is easy to become desensitized to the horror of it. Had this book been about just a school shooting and the subsequent investigation, I probably would have given up on it. In this story, the s ...more
Lily (WhoLockian)
Feb 19, 2011 Lily (WhoLockian) rated it really liked it
The Survivor by Sean Slater
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Columbine. Dunblane. Virginia Tech. Winnenden. But Saint Patrick's High?

In his first hour back from a six-month leave of absence, Detective Jacob Striker's day quickly turns into a nightmare. He is barely on scene five minutes at his daughter's high school when he encounters an Active Shooter situation. Three men wearing hockey masks - Black, White, and Red - have stormed the school with firearms and are killing indiscriminately
Hilde
Mar 06, 2011 Hilde rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
In an interview on the Simon & Schuster website Sean Slater reveals that Lee Child and James Patterson are some of his favourite authors, and after reading The Survivor, this does not surprise me. The book is a gritty, fast-paced thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat from the first page.

This is a book I probably would not have picked up had I not received an ARC of it, but I am glad I got the chance to read it. The setting (Vancouver) was completely new to me, as was the subj
The Sunday Book Review
Apr 13, 2011 The Sunday Book Review rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of police drama and action. This book had me hooked from the first chapter. We have all heard and know about Columbine and other school shootings. Here we follow Detective Stiker (and his partner, though I didn't relate very much with her) as they search for the third gunman they weren't able to put down at the school. His character had everything we might expect from the stereotypical cop. The attitude, the scorn for the higher-ups and the passion to get the job done. His partne ...more
Giovenna
May 12, 2015 Giovenna rated it liked it
First of, I would like to say this was the very first book I’ve read from Mr Sean Slater. The book was very reader friendly, no complicated words and scenarios attached which made the book very easy to read, hence, a book-turner. I even read the quarter half of the book the whole day without eating any. That’s how good the book was.

The first chapters would really get you hooked with the story, will leave you wanting more until you’ll realize you need to send your ass off to work. Heh.

With the ch
Dave Watson
May 09, 2012 Dave Watson rated it liked it
****SPOILER ALERT****

I enjoyed this book, loved the style of writing and would definitely read more from this author, however there were a few parts of the plot that were weak and I just hope these were the mistakes of a new writer.

My biggest problem with the whole plot was the inability of a whole police force to find Riku, or at least know that she went by her nickname; whilst Striker wasn't focused on the search for the girl, there would undoubtedly have been someone tasked to do just that. T
Cath
Oct 06, 2011 Cath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On his first day back after a six month stress leave Jacob Striker has to deal with three shooters in a school. Not just an ordinary school, but his daughter’s school.
Striker kills two of the shooters, but the third escapes.
Time is running out an Striker has to get the other one fast, before more people die.
Who is this mysterious killer and why is it so hard to take him out? There is more to the shooting than first meets the eye.
Like the cover says it’s a game of cat and mouse. There will be onl
Caitlin
Mar 06, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
A very muscular police action story. Lots of running and gunning and chasing people down and yelling in corridors and hating superiors and kicking down doors and drinking lattes and eating pastries (apparently Canadian cops don't eat plain old coffee and donuts) and ... you get the picture.

That is to say that this was a quick read and relatively enjoyable if not ultimately fulfilling. It's a cop book that's less a police procedural and more a novel wanting to be an action movie. I like that stuf
Ina
Guys in hockeymasks shoots at a High School. Detective Striker get a busy day on his first day after being away from work for six months. Why did the guys attack the school and who are they?
This book had such a promising start but then it got a bit slow and it got too many stories in one. It didn't kept my attention all the way. It was like suddenly reading another story than the beginning, which was a little weird to me. Overall the book is actually good in many ways, but I wish the characters
Gram
Apr 20, 2016 Gram rated it it was ok
On the plus side, this was a quick, easy read. It opens with the horror of a school shooting spree and then moves on to a murder investigation which uncovers Triad involvement in what are basically revenge killings. So far, so fascinating. Slater uses his background as Canadian police officer to some good effect, but I could really have done without the sub-plot about the break-all-the-rules cop's daughter being the subject of a murder bid by the main baddie. Frustrated killers threatening death ...more
E.R. Yatscoff
Oct 29, 2014 E.R. Yatscoff rated it did not like it
A disappointment. Poor dialogue. Almost magical crime solving:looking for a vehicle involved in a crime in a large metro area and finding glass bits on road from when the Detective shot out windows. Well, there's glass bits around a lot of intersections in my city. Then seeing garbage cans knocked over? and figuring the perp went that way? Also the two detectives just up and go after a perp without calling it in and leave a huge crime scene to fend for itself. Had to stop reading on page 101 as ...more
Joanne
Aug 24, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it
This was one of my accidental discoveries. I was in the library browsing the shelves and pulled this down thinking it was another author. Boy am I ever glad I did. Overall the plot well developed and nicely paced. This book grabbed me from the beginning and it was easy to continue reading. A bonus for me is the Canadian setting (I'm Canadian) which you don't see in many crime novels these days. I'll definitely be looking for more by this author.
Simon Gosden
Apr 30, 2011 Simon Gosden rated it really liked it
Dunblane, Virginia Tech, Columbine...what would you do if on your first day back at work after six months leave of absence your day turns into a nightmare. Deective Jacob Striker goes to his daughter's high school when three men wearing hockey masks start shooting and killing the students. Striker returns fire, killing two of the men but one, Red Mask esapes. This is a grisly and violent thriller but it grips and you have to keep turning the pages as the body count rises. Superior thriller.
Sue
Mar 19, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
Started out great but didn't continue like that. I liked the main character, his daughter, well, teenager, she wasn't too bad. Didn't like his partner and couldn't really see why they were attracted to each other. Actually, with the way she was always defending their idiot boss I thought for sure she was involved with him.

Didn't like the ending at all. Probably not going to read another book by this author.
Cynthia
Sep 21, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Great effort for a first book. Definitely a page turner, the action flowed well and the protagonist was well developed. I didn't have the issues some have written with respect to his partner. Their relationship is complicated; I don't think she came off as cold however the writer does allude to her ability to distance herself from the carnage they experience. Perhaps this will be developed in future novels. She is as distanced as Striker is emotional and explosive. Great book!
Ginny
Mar 05, 2011 Ginny rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was fast paced with a great story line. Characters I enjoyed reading about and hope to read more.

This book is really long, but it never felt long. I had a hard time putting it down and could't wait every night to get a chance to read.

Not only is the story well written, but the details are amazing. You feel like you are right there with Detective Slater!
Deb Bodinnar
Sep 09, 2014 Deb Bodinnar rated it really liked it
I have had Sean Slater on my shelf for quite some time and finally decided to give it a go after finishing my Aussie Author Challenge is completed. Not disappointed at all, the story started off full steam ahead and I felt it kept on at a good pace. Plot was good and had me guessing through to the end. enjoyed the characters and look forward to reading the next novel by Sean.
Phil James
Dec 20, 2014 Phil James rated it really liked it
This is one of the best thrillers I've read in years. I have never read any of Slater's books before but will definitely be getting more. this one is about a Vancouver police officer who gets mixed up in a school shooting. Original story and very entertaining.
Wonderbunny
Oct 21, 2012 Wonderbunny rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 Stars but I found this enjoyable and a quick read. The story flowed quickly and as action packed. I would have liked to see a little bit more time spent on the characters but I thought as a blend between developing a quick action thriller and the characters it worked pretty well.
Tracey
Oct 15, 2013 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, fiction, mystery
Not the most exciting thriller. A very complex plot - that takes a long time to get to the point of why! The only redeeming part of the book was the ending for Courtney and her dad Detective Jacob Striker!
Evelyn
Sep 03, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Thriller, detective, crime... all set in Vancouver. Everything you need to know (or not) about Vancouver police and gang warfare. An easy read, but a little far fetched (IMHO). But maybe because I hate to think that this high school murder could happen here.
Chilling Thrillers: THE SURVIVOR by Sean Slater 1 8 Aug 08, 2012 07:05AM
  • Girl 4 (January David #1)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • A Daughter for Christmas
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Wire (Pierce Securities, #2)
  • Odd Girl In
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Wayward Temptation (Wayward Saints MC, # 6)
  • High Country Nocturne
  • Taken by Lies: Rage Ryders MC
  • Deviant Ways
  • The Debba
  • Vanished in the Night
  • Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do about It
  • The Uninnocent: Stories
  • The Night Visitor
  • The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
Sean Slater is the pseudonym for Vancouver Police Officer Sean Sommerville. As a police officer, Sommerville works in Canada's poorest slum, the Downtown East Side - an area rife with poverty, mental illness, drug use, prostitution, and gang warfare. He has investigated everything from frauds and extortions to homicides. Sommerville has written numerous columns and editorials for the city newspape ...more
More about Sean Slater...

Jacob Striker (4 books)