Start by marking “Now (Once #3)” as Want to Read:
Now (Once #3)

Now (Once #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,171 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
Morris Gleitzman's acclaimed story of friends Felix and Zelda in Nazi-occupied Poland has captured the hearts and minds of readers worldwide. In "Now", he delivers the final chapter, bringing this most moving of stories into the present day.
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Now, please sign up.

PorshaJo
ONCE I read a book about a boy named Felix. He was a young child living during the terror of the Nazis and escaped an orphanage to find his parents. He met a 6 year-old girl named Zelda. They are just trying to survive and find new parents. THEN I picked up the 2nd book in this series to hear more about these two and was devastated. NOW I see Felix as an old man, still trying to come to grips with all that is in his past.

Now is the third book in this series. (Once is the first, Then is the secon
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I'm a big fan of Morris Gleitzman's highly underrated WWII series, and have been anticipating this title since I first read Once and Then over a year ago. Now is set in present day Australia and, though it's not the best of the trilogy, it's a brilliant end to Felix's heartbreaking but ultimately hopeful story.

Gleitzman's series has been consistently shocking, funny and important, and has mostly focused on Felix as a young boy. In Now, Felix is an old man, with a successful life and a loving fam
Alex Baugh
May 02, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
‘Once I escaped from an orphanage to find Mum and Dad. Once I saved a girl called Zelda from a burning house. Once I made a Nazi with a toothache laugh. My name is Felix. This is my story.'

‘Then I had a plan for me and Zelda. Pretend to be someone else. Find new parents. Be safe forever. Then the Nazis came.’

‘Once I didn’t know about my grandfather Felix’s scary childhood.
Then I found out what the Nazis did to his best friend Zelda.
Now I understand why Felix does the things he does. At least he
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Now is the third book in the Once series, charting the way one Jewish boy manages to survive the Second World War, against incredible odds.

***Spoilers ahead for the first two books***

At the end of the second book, poor Felix has just seen his foster mother and friend hung in the town square for what amounts to 'looking at the Nazi officers a bit funny'as far as I could tell.

In Now, we jump straight to modern day Australia, which kind of surprised me. It's also narrated by a young girl, instead o
Anna
The most overdramatic portrayal of bullying I've ever seen.
Sam
Jul 22, 2011 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the end of this series, there is a fourth book which has just been released called "After" which I'm really looking forward to reading as it continues Felix's story when he defeats the Nazis. So instead of the final book being voiced through Felix, it's all from Felix's grand-daughter Zelda's point of view. I liked this book but not as much as the other two, mainly because I liked Felix as a character and didn't have that same feeling for Zelda. I also think it's because there was so ...more
Jem
I'm not going to go into details about what the book is about etc. I'm sure somone else will do that, and honestly what's reading the book for? Anyway, back to the book. I LOVED it. It was amazing, I could go n forever. What I really loved was that Morris Gleitzman once again, used real life situations.

I cried when I read Once. I cried when I read Then. I cried when I read Now. Gleitzman is a very good author, he makes you beleive whole heartedly in what your reading. What really affected me th
Our Library Mornington
Felix is an 80 year old grandfather, a highly esteemed retired doctor who still struggles to come to terms with the nightmare that was his childhood. With the help of his 11 year old grand-daughter Zelda, Felix will face the ghosts of his past when together they face another frightening battle for survival – the bushfires of Victoria’s Black Saturday.

Australia has many children’s authors to be proud of, and Morris Gleitzman is one of my favourites. Again he has woven a story that sensitively and
Candy Gourlay
Mar 11, 2012 Candy Gourlay is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I can tell from the first few chapters that this is not quite on par with Once and Then. But I'm willing to give it a chance. Will get back to it later.
ALPHAreader
Mar 20, 2012 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Felix is hiding. His parents left him at a convent with other orphans, and then they fled. Because Felix is Jewish, and it’s not a very good time to be Jewish at the moment, what with the war and all.

When Felix receives a sign (in the form of a whole carrot) he is sure it means his parents are returning for him. So he takes his beloved notebook, full of fanciful stories, and he leaves the convent to go in search of his parents.

Along the way he sees the truth of the war. He watches people marchin
Naim Cobena
Jan 23, 2017 Naim Cobena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read this book series you will imagine what the author is saying in your head because the words He uses just spark your imagination. The genre of this book is nonfiction because i mainly talks about the Nazi's and other stuff. I would recommend this book to other people because I enjoy reading them and I think everyone should enjoy reading these types of books too.

A girl named Zelda thinks she started a Fire but her grandfather Felix explains that she didn't and they get stuck in an acce
Lisa Vegan
Oct 09, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every reader who has read the first two books in this trilogy
Spoilers for those who haven’t read the first two books in the trilogy, Once and Then:

(view spoiler)
Teresa
Jun 18, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ONCE upon a time there was a 10 year old Jewish boy called Felix whose parents were taken away by the Nazis. THEN, his close friend and ally, Zelda, was taken away from him also. NOW, Felix is 80, living in Australia, and trying to protect another Zelda, his grandaughter who is also our narrator.

NOW is the conclusion to Morris Gleitzman's wonderful trilogy for children which brings us from 1940s Poland to present day Australia. The author insists that all three books can be read as stand-alones
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book is the third and last in the trilogy about Felix, a Holocaust survivor. The first two books, Once and Then, describe how Felix, a Jewish boy, escaped from the Nazis but lost his best friend Zelda, a little German girl. These books were told from the childish, naive point of view of Felix, and included vivid descriptions of Nazi horrors.

This book is set many years later in Australia, where Felix, now an old man, is living with his granddaughter Zelda, named after the little German girl
Paula
May 12, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Now' is the final book of the series following 'Once' and 'Then', the story of Felix Salinger, a young Jewish boy trying to keep himself and his friend, Zelda safe from the Nazis. 'Once and 'Then' brought tears to my eyes, as did 'Now'

In 'Now' Felix is now 80 years old, a retired surgeon and living in Australia, his grand~daughter Zelda comes to live with him when her parents (both doctors) go to Darfur. Zelda misses her parents and friends but adores living with her beloved grandfather and his
RLL52013_NicoleHill
Zelda is an eleven year old girl who is trying to live up to her name. She was named after her grandfather's best childhood friend. The original Zelda was a six year old girl who was killed by the Nazis. Zelda is sent to live with her grandfather, Felix, while her parents are working in Africa. Zelda adores Felix, but since moving to his house, she has become the target of bullying. When a wild fire breaks out near Felix's house, Felix orders Zelda to take the bus to South Melbourne promising th ...more
Brodief
Mar 25, 2013 Brodief rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read the book "Now" by Morris Gleitzman because after reading the first two books in the series I had to finish the series.

The category on the bingo board that this book fits into is a book with a female main character.

The character I found most interesting was Zelda. Zelda is the main character. She always looks up to others and tries to be a great role-model for younger generations. She wants to be the best person she can possibly be and all of those things I think I can relate to
Faa
Sep 10, 2010 Faa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew Felix all the way back when he was still a child, running from orphanage and lived inside the hell of the world. I also knew Zelda, I mean the other Zelda, who perished in the hands of Nazis back in Poland. I can say, that Felix and the first-Zelda were like dear friend to me. For me to be able to find out what happened to Felix after the war and the rest of his life, I am honoured!

Although the third book of Felix and Zelda was not as emotionally touched as the first and the second (Once
Erin Mcfarlane
Feb 07, 2014 Erin Mcfarlane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now is an interesting book about the Victorian bushfires a few years ago. I love the way it shows how Felix, who lived in World War Two, was surviving in his older years. This is the only book in the series based not mainly on Felix, but on his granddaughter Zelda(named after Felix's friend from WW2). I think having the book from a newer perspective changed what I thought about the book. Zelda is faced with a bully, who is really just trying to protect her younger brother, and she is a bit judge ...more
Hannah
Apr 07, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now was a fairly good read.
It was well-written and there was nothing wrong with the plot, but I just didn't like the new main character (Zelda, named after the other Zelda)
I can't exactly put my finger on why I didn't like her all that much, just that I did. I also just don't really like the idea that Felix got old.
Also, I got confused with how Zelda came to be. In the whole of the book it is never mentioned that Felix adopted a child, or had one, but it is mentioned that Zelda is somehow his g
Mika
Jan 22, 2017 Mika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book because it takes you to the future when the main character gets old and new characters are introduced. It has the same concept of the previous sequels, where it explores family and adventure but i has a twist of how a young girl faces a new chapter of her life. The book is placed after the Nazi's were overthrown, this follow's an old man's story with a young girl and how they faced different challenges and obstacles to overcome their frightening past.
Emi
Feb 11, 2011 Emi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was good, but the plot was extremely different to the first two books. I preferred the first two books story line, but this taught me a lot about Australia. I predicted in my mind what would happen, but I never imagined the fire, that was very of my prediction. This was very interesting, the title mad e a good first impression. I wonder who was who.
Hilary
Aug 04, 2016 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book can be read independently from the first two in the series. It skips 70 years in time. Felix is now 80 yrs old. I would have liked to have continued this story where the last book finished but from what I have read from reviews of the next book hopefully the story goes back to WW2 again. This story deals with bullying, natural disaster and loss. I missed reading about Felix as a child.
Jessica Aitoro
Jumps ahead to present time...I would have liked more continuity of Felix's story from the first two books...but there is a 4th that returns to what happened immediately after WW2, that was not located with the first three books at the book sale!
Konrad Chan
Nov 21, 2012 Konrad Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the book lacks the adventurous and action content like in the past two books, it is a good story that looks at the life of Felix after his struggles in WWII and how Zelda has inspired Zelda (Felix's Granddaughter).
Amy
Jul 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book i could not put it down, you will cry, you will laugh. It is a mixed emotion book. 5 shining stars
Ian
Oct 12, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book about an actual event which was the victorian bush fire in 2002.
Lisa
Oh i loved this! Was so happy to see what happened to Felix after the Holocaust.
i can honestly say that I'm very sad to have finished the series, and I'll be quick to recommend it.
Latifah
Nov 08, 2014 Latifah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's AS GOOD AS Then. READ IT!!
Somuchbooks
Feb 08, 2017 Somuchbooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There aren't enough great words to describe this series. it so beautiful and touching and sad but still full of hope... not enough words.
After before Now? 3 7 Jan 19, 2017 07:07AM
  • The Protected
  • Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust
  • The Blessing Cup
  • The Night of the Burning: Devorah's Story
  • Operation Fireball (Fish Finelli, #2)
  • Warriors in the Crossfire
  • Let Me Whisper You My Story
  • Out of Shadows
  • The Last Song
  • Selling Hope
  • The Dead I Know
  • Black Radishes (Black Radishes, #1)
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...

Once (5 books)