Start by marking “Down the Drain” as Want to Read:
Down the Drain

Down the Drain

Bruce has lost everyone he ever cared about—even his cat.

Now he thinks he's finally alone in the house, but something is about to come clawing its way out of the plumbing to prove him wrong.
Published August 3rd 2010 by Blood Brothers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Down the Drain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the Drain

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft ShelleyIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Best Monster Books!
402 books — 423 voters
Farsighted by Emlyn ChandThe Next Thing I Knew by John CorwinPerpetual Night by Georgina MoralesWired by Martha R. CarrThe Vivisector by Patrick White
Creepy Covers
138 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Flannery
Jan 19, 2012 Flannery rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Only people who like horror and can deal with a bunch of random jerking off.
Recommended to Flannery by: My 2012 Challenge Goal
Flannery looks through her Kindle.

Hmmm, I want to read something fast. What looks short? Ah! This one…I think it was free from Amazon?

Starts reading. Wait a second, is this from the point of view of the cat?

The bathtub did what now?

Dude, you aren’t going to find your cat anytime soon.

DON’T GET IN THE BATHTUB!

Um, this has quite a few mentions of jerking off, penises, and semen “threads.”

GET THE HELL OUT OF THE BATHTUB!

Ew, is it made up of all the stuff that goes down the drain?

Okay, I would NOT
Lou
Apr 26, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
Dark tale it drives well with a sense of unexpected terror. A short story, you would not want to enter a bathroom again unless equipped with a sledgehammer.
Cynthia
Jan 05, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Down the Drain is a unique, intriguing, crazy, fun, and quick read. This short horror story by Daniel Pyle is worth the read. However, unlike most of the reviews for this story, I WILL be bathing again (just might check the drain first).

The opening in this story is from the main character's (Bruce's) cat, Selina. I found this pretty funny, that is, until the creature from the bathtub eats poor Selina. Bruce comes home to find his cat missing, but has no clue as to where she went.

Bruce decides h
Robert Duperre
Sep 22, 2010 Robert Duperre rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

There is something to be said for the slam-bang horror tale. You know the type – they drag you in, shake you around a bit, and then pull away, never once telling you why everything that happened, happened.

While reading “Down the Drain”, a fast-paced novelette by Daniel Pyle, I was struck at first by how strange and audacious the storytelling was. Hell, the first chapter is told through the viewpoint of a cat! From there, it moves onto the main character, Bruce, a lonely indep
Matt
Apr 05, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
From my blog Rediscovering Horror Fiction

If the author’s bio at the end of the book is to be believed, Daniel Pyle has not not bathed since writing this story. He must be a stinky man indeed by now, but this 60 odd page novelette about man vs. man-eating bath tub may well put you off personal hygiene yourself.

Bruce does not have an easy life. His wife left him years ago, his construction job leaves him exhausted at the end of each day, and his cat Selina (a joke Batman fans will likely get) is h
Candy
Mar 24, 2011 Candy rated it really liked it
I may never take a bath or shower again. In fact, maybe I should just avoid all bathrooms with tubs/showers all together. This is a great short tale about well... a bathtub in a really bad freaking mood.

Unlike another book I read by this author, this one is much less realistic; it tries too hard, but on purpose. It wants to scare and shock you, but it really wants to make you do that "ha ha, I'm not scared" laugh while you lock the bathroom door - from the outside.

It takes a lot for me to enjoy
Pat Dreadful
May 12, 2011 Pat Dreadful rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Down the Drain is exactly what you would want out of a short story. The novella is overflowing with scares as Pyle showers us with some cringe inducing images. In fact, the story was so stark and brutal that I was taken completely off guard (in the best way possible). Any thoughts that a story about a crazed bathtub would be funny and good-natured are wiped away after the first chapter. Pyle plays it straight and, ultimately, that is what elevates Down the Drain above other silly monster fare. T ...more
Eileen Patterson
Feb 02, 2012 Eileen Patterson rated it it was amazing
This story was DISGUSTING. Ew. Seriously nasty and icky. Of course, that's all a compliment coming from me. This is an original horror story (Stephen King had a story about something nasty down a drain in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes," but that was totally different). This one features a bathtub from hell, and a lot of jerking off and nasty gore. It also has a protaganist with half a brain, though, who doesn't just ignore it when the bathtub starts doing really antisocial things, and I appreciate ...more
Vix
Mar 04, 2012 Vix rated it really liked it
first there was Jaws (Peter Benchley) that stopped me swimming in the sea, then Chocolate Covered Eyes (Lori Lopez) that stopped me accepting chocolate from monsters... Now I have to worry about bathing!
this is a gripping, no nonsense, gory and descriptive tale.
Loved the cats perspective to start the horror off with!
This really left me feeling a little sick and urgh at what might be lurking under my shower!
Daniel Pyle has a really twisted imagination, which is just what you want to have in this
CC Stapleton
Jul 11, 2012 CC Stapleton rated it really liked it
Super terrifying tale of a monsterous creature living in the pipes of your bathtub. It took me weeks to gather the courage to clean my bathroom, little on actually bathe in it.

Read my full review at Bloody Good Horror:

Tobyann Aparisi
Feb 01, 2011 Tobyann Aparisi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tobyann by: first reads
I really loved this book. For such a short book, it really punched home the horror of what could happen in your bathroom. Well written and great character building (even the cat). Very creepy and yet entertaining. this book did not disappoint.

Chris
Mar 22, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
A nasty and disturbing story straight from the Twilight Zone---but with a modern edge. I dare you to read it in the tub....I bet that before the end you will opt to complete the story in the safety of a bed or your favorite chair. Really fun short story/novella by a good new horror writer.
Brendan Carroll
May 27, 2011 Brendan Carroll rated it really liked it
This was a true horror story (especially for guys, I think LOL). I almost didn't want to finish reading it, but couldn't help. Daniel Pyle's imagination is unfathomable! If like terror, this is the book for you!
J.A.
Oct 27, 2010 J.A. rated it it was amazing
What a great story, and such an ending. Definitely makes you look at your tub a little closer, that's for sure!
E. Mitchell
Apr 02, 2011 E. Mitchell rated it really liked it
Clever, funny, creepy. I love Mr. Pyle.
Arielle
Sep 25, 2011 Arielle rated it really liked it
Very fast, but very creepy read! Who hasn't ever been creeped out by bathtub drains? Eeeee!
Sheri White
Dec 22, 2011 Sheri White rated it really liked it
Cool short story, a little far-fetched, but fun. Poor kitty, though!
J.M. Pierce
Apr 28, 2012 J.M. Pierce rated it really liked it
Crazy, twisted, humorous, graphic, smart... and that's all just the part of the story that's told from the cat's perspective! Awesome quick read. Thanks, Mr. Pyle.
Robert
Oct 01, 2010 Robert marked it as to-read
Looking forward to this one :)
Luis L
Nov 18, 2010 Luis L rated it really liked it
Interesting little monster read. Very short. A little graphic, so be warned. But it didn't bother me.
K.C. May
Feb 21, 2011 K.C. May rated it really liked it
CREEPY!! I'm not going to want to take a bath anytime soon.
Kipp Poe
Oct 03, 2010 Kipp Poe rated it it was amazing
A fun and sick quick read maybe you should stick with getting a shower
Michael
Mar 02, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
With the pile of books that I have waiting in the wings, it's rare that I "borrow" books from people, and when people recommend books, I usually make a note of it and maybe I'll get to it, maybe I won't. Daniel Pyle's Down the Drain came recommended to me by a friend, and at first I was going to pass it by, but then I saw it was a small file (yes, I read it on the Kindle), and therefore knew it would be a quick read. I never expected to become so engrossed with it that I wouldn't want to put it ...more
Todd Russell
May 06, 2012 Todd Russell rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, monsters
A curious man vs. bathtub tale. Who can't help thinking about something unfriendly lurking beneath the bathtub drain? This starts by sucking you in feeling sorry for the man's cat. Beyond that, the protagonist, Bruce, and the monster are somewhat cardboard creations. Readers never learn enough about Bruce to really care whether he lives or dies (no spoilers, you must read to find out which happens). And the monster is equally unknown. How did it get there? Why was it there? What was its purpose, ...more
Nona
Feb 24, 2012 Nona rated it liked it
I downloaded this one because I love horror, and it has become harder and harder to find horror. I pick up something thinking its horror, and it turns out to be thriller....or sci-fi.

This one is horror. It is horror in the way that the campy slasher movies of old are horror, complete with sex. Except in this case there is no actual sex, just mastrubation. And no boobs, just....man parts.

In fact, what stuck with me more than the story itself was the sex. It was almost as if the whole story was a
Rechan
May 26, 2013 Rechan rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I want to give this story 3.5 stars, but have rounded up to 4. It's interesting, starting good. It gets surprisingly vulgar, then weird and intriguing, before ending.

The shortness works in the story's favor, so that's not an issue. The sex - or rather, the focus on the main character's masturbation - was unexpected and a little jarring. The monster is neat in and of itself.

Still the story has a downside, and that is that I never feel the main character is in any sort of real Threat, so the only
Jessica
Sep 22, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As if the 1950s bathroom in my 80-something year old, slightly haunted house wasn't scary enough then I had to go and read this late at night! Now I'm afraid for my cats and like hell will you see me take a bath... strictly FAST showers from now on. But seriously, I enjoyed this more than Dismember, which felt like it was missing some things. However, this had moments that shocked me, made me squirm or widen my eyes. It was fun... in a shocking /terrifying way. Definitely a good read and very or ...more
Craig Hansen
May 06, 2014 Craig Hansen rated it liked it
I bought this short back in 2010 and it somehow slipped down my "must-read" list for a time, since back then I had just discovered Kindle as a reading platform and was buying books way faster than I could read them.

That's unfortunate, because as a work of short fiction, "Down the Drain" is a fun read. While not as sharp as his later works, Pyle's sense for supernatural horror is sufficiently unsettling that it might create sleepless nights for some. A solid introduction to his work.
Michele
Jun 26, 2012 Michele rated it liked it
Story about a guy who basically gets molested by his bathtub, which then tries to kill him. So in typical Daniel Pyle fashion, he has a very weird short story that provides no answers at the end - but that's his thing right! That being said, it was a very fast read (took me about 20 minutes)and though I would probably never buy the book, it was fine to read as a freebie on my kindle.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
  • Population Zero
  • The Horribles
  • Specimen 313
  • Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • Help! Wanted: Tales of On-The-Job Terror
  • Bad Girl: Prequel to Serial
  • One Buck Horror: Volume One
Daniel Pyle is the author of Dismember, Freeze, Down the Drain, and many short stories. He lives in Springfield, Missouri, with his wife and two daughters. Visit him online at www.danielpyle.com, Twitter, or Facebook.
More about Daniel Pyle...