Start by marking “The Girl Born of Smoke” as Want to Read:
The Girl Born of Smoke

The Girl Born of Smoke

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Aurora is thrust into a world torn apart by war, she realizes she is the magically gifted child everyone is searching for. Haunted by the guilt of her sister's accidental death and terrified of being found out, she swears never to use her powers. But all that changes when her best friend is mistaken as the wizard and kidnapped.

In her struggle to rescue him, she finds
Published April 2nd 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Born of Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Born of Smoke

Nicole Trainor
This started off really strongly and got me excited for the rest of the book. Unfortunately, from about 30% on, it went downhill fast. The main character started having massive personality switches (extreme even for a teenager). Secondary characters pretty much allowed the main character to do whatever for no good reason at all. In the end, when her powers came and it was the major battle, it really felt like a bad episode of Dragonball Z - with more extreme and over the top stuff happening. To ...more
This book starts out with a lone girl, Aurora, leaving her home town. Along the way, she comes across a man and woman who take her back to their home to raise her as their daughter. While there, she befriends a boy, Djerr, who is an absolute sweetheart. The boys tells her of the time when there were wizards in the world, but the wizards were hated by some people who fought to exterminate them all. Legend has it that another wizard will one day come.

Except, this is more than a legend, and two ar
I have no idea...Why so many people loved this story!?! First off the main character Aurora/Tarana has major issues!!! She has almost what we call a split personality and the author’s writing wasn’t clear enough so it takes awhile for you to figure it out. Along with the split personality, you have her want to be mother Roxanna and her want to be father Karien; both of these characters weren’t developed enough for you to “like” them. And then there is Dejrr, he was a lost puppy in love and a tot ...more
Sarah Ropson
This book took forever to finish. It just didn't hold my interest. It was not written in the style I like. There were a lot of shrugs and whatever moments where it seemed like the Author didn't really care. The idea was great, and so I kept going back to it eventually. Can't say if others will like it or no, because there are a lot of bad reviews in the books that I love.
It was alright. An intriguing concept but the writing didn't draw me in as I had anticipated.
Anna Zollinger
The storyline wasn't necessarily unique, but it was definitely a creative spin on a semi-common fantasy story. There was great character development for the primary character, and overall the book had some wonderful imagery, though I wish it had been a tad more detailed.

I had a couple problems with the book, however. The primary being that given the setting of the story and the lack of technology, the large scientific advances Rupert explains to her about magic are extremely out of place and it
First off, the major problem I had is that I had no sense of when this was supposed to take place. From the scenery descriptions it seems like the houses and buildings are rudimentary and primarily made of dusty stone. The cities are just larger versions of the towns with similar buildings and a market day. The armies wear metal armor and fight with swords and there are no means of communication other than face to face. All of this leads me to believe that this story takes place in a time long a ...more
I started this as a backup book of sorts; the other book I'm reading doesn't have Kindle Text To Speech enabled, and I needed something to listen to when I can't read it. The Girl Born of Smoke turned out to be so engrossing that I chose it over the other book even when I didn't need TTS. There were many twists that I didn't see coming, the characters were engaging and sympathetic, and I couldn't wait to see how things would play out.

But as entertaining as it was, there was also one character t
this book could be so much better. the story is great but theres so many under-developed moments in the story. i feel it is written from the hand of a beginner and with continued writing, once she has more experience, should be revisited. to much he said she said and things happening with no purpose..maybe theres not enough character thoughts... it flows well.. but it gets to a potental reader catching moment and these strangers just keep asking if the main character is ok... and the story goes ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This book is quite confusing although the concept is a good one. In a world torn apart by magic and whether or not you had it, as the wizards are dying out, they infused their power deep into the earth, to be reborn at a later time by a male wizard who will lead the Wizard's Army and magic will once more be dominant. Well, that's the plan anyway!

Along comes Aurora, a strange girl with a shadowy past who gets picked up by a couple travelling to see more of the world. They take her home and for a
Jim Henry
Right from the very beginning, we have a sense that there is something different about this girl Aurora, who is beating a hasty retreat from her home, with no sense at that point of where she is going.

As if by fate, Aurora connects with an odd couple who seem to revel mostly in their differences, who just happen to be sojourning in Aurora's former neighborhood. Soon, they are prepared to bring her to their home, far away, and help her establish a new life.

Establish she does! When she settles i
James C.
This was a very well written book that kept me questioning the very fabric of the storyline. I think I know what's happening and then everything turns about with a wonderful expressiveness that few authors have the ability to manage.
The story features a lone girl named Aurora who befriends a boy and finds out about an unknown world of magic and wizards. Her journey of self-discovery and awareness gave me a great journey of my own into a new and fantastical world.
As a magician, I thoroughly enjo
Katrina Michaels
4.5 Stars!

A Girl Born of Smoke starts off with an young girl, Aurora, running from a mysterious man and finding sanctuary with two strangers. After I read the first few chapters, I thought I knew what was going on, but I was wrong. Jessica Billings spins a tale that takes you through fascinating and unexpected twists and turns that truly leave you guessing about what is going to happen next. The moment you think you know who the good guys are, you will find yourself proven wrong in the next para
Shawn Weaver
The Girl Born of Smoke by Jessica Billings is an interesting tale of one girl’s struggle with a power she had tried to deny since birth. You follow her struggle with herself, her friends, and the family that she forms before the world that she knows thrusts her into a role of a powerful wizard even though she does not want it. Slow at the start, Jessica’s story picks up speed through out. Though a few continuity issues and typos are present, this story is a good read for a stormy night next to ...more
Sierra Rose
Readers and fans of the magical will enjoy this tale as we follow the lead character in her journey to not only find out who and she will ultimately is but also as she struggles to find a place. Searching for best friend who has been mistaken to be a wizard, she also must discover if there is a place in his life for her at the end.

Magic users, wizards, vying armies seeking her...all very wonderful components to this story that will have you turning each page in anticipation. Never a dull moment
Jo Pussinabox
I really struggled with this and had to stop myself from giving up altogether quite a few times. I found the characters unlikable and predictable, as was the story line. It wasn't written well, with poor dialogue.
The writing is so amateur! The sceneries aren't clear and the characters aren't clear, I don't even know what's going on! I gave up half way, I got tired of the so-called "twists" when actually it's just been written so badly you don't know what's happening. One minutes she called Aurora, then the next minute shes called Tarana who's extremely vile then she goes back to being Aurora! who is she?! I'm completely confused!
Sorry for being rude but third person does not work for this book.
Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell
If i could i would rate it 3.5.. so please dont get me wrong.. i really liked it.. but not.. like liked it.. as in i wouldn't share it to everyone.. but to some.

I liked half of it more than the other .. and that half is like bits from other bits.. and its so hard to explain.

I did like the concept and ideas throughout it.. and it was something very different to what i have read :)
I have never read anything this intriguing in a long time. The way the story is written keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next. Just when I thought I had it figured out it took a twist in a direction I didn’t see coming. One thing that nagged me was how naïve she seemed to be with accepting to live with strangers help without asking questions. On side note plenty of exercise was had throughout this story.
Summer Peterson

I hate stories where the hero is struggling all through the story to figure something out and at the end of the story during the big fight the hero all of a sudden knows how to do everything. The main character has multiple personalities and is crazy. It's hard to read a story where I have no respect for the main character.
I don't know what to put here. I enjoyed the story and thought it was original but I felt that there hadn't been enough time spent polishing the writing and making the story flow. I almost put it down several times. I think it was worth the read but I feel as though the ideas were all just splurged on the page.
Was a decent story, but one major issue I had was the name used for the main character changed what seemed arbitrarily later in the book. It also has one of my biggest pet peeves, then and than are not interchangeable, then is a time reference, than is a comparison, a writer should know the difference.
June Ahern
.Jessica Billings book, "The Girl Born of Smoke" is story about Aurora as she journeys forward to self discovery. It turns, runs and keeps you guessing as who is "good" helpful and who is "bad" the meanies. Each character is as in living color - a true interesting character. A most enjoyable read.
Paden Lane Moore
When I got this book free on my kindle, it was not what I was expecting. It was better than I thought it would be. A wonderful book.
Brie Kapina
I had a hard time staying motivated to finish this read. Plot began to feel predictable.
It was a decent story, could have done with more development.
Fantastic! Loved every word of it.
Ehh...that's all I've got
so far so good
  • The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5) (The Song of Eloh Saga, #1)
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Talus
  • The Wicked Heroine
  • Mark of the Dragon Queen
  • Treasure Lost
  • Illegal Magic
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Midnight Reflections (Preternatural Investigation Agency, #1)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Animal
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Ancient Awakening
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1)
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
Jessica Billings is currently going to school in Michigan, but will always consider herself an Oregonian. She likes photographing bugs and majored in biology and education at Oregon State. She is now pursuing a master's degree in environmental engineering. She learned to scuba dive when she was 14, but refuses to dive into the frigid waters of Michigan.
More about Jessica Billings...
The Regret List Twists and Turns