Wild Conquest

Wild Conquest

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  18 reviews
To spare her family shame, spirited Pleasance Dunstan sneaks into Tearlach O'Duine's room at night - in order to retrieve torrid letters of love indiscreetly penned by her foolhardy sister. But her scheme is undone by Tearlach's untimely return. And now Pleasance must submit to a punishment far worse than the pillory: indentured servitude to the ruggedly handsome fur trade...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Zebra Books (first published May 1993)

Julie
Feb 04, 2014 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical/Colonial American Romance Lovers
While there is a pinch of "Scottish" spice to this romance by Hannah Howell, it is much better described as a "Colonial American" romance. I am not a lover of frontier/pioneer romance, but there was enough Scottish elements and influence in the story to keep me reading. The very gaelic name of the hero, "Terlach O'doune," is enough to wet your lips with a taste of the highlands. He is, of course, strong and sexy, but with the typical male weaknesses of an overabundance of pride and arrogance. Ad...more
Amanda
Eternal-Love78 Michelle Rossi's Reviews
An Invigoratingly Impassioned Novel!

It has been truly gratifying reading a novel written so artistically beautiful, as this one was. Once I began reading it, I was unable to cease. Especially when Ms. Howell was describing in full detail the art of love making. Using indulging words regarding one's own body part, instead of the usual vulgar words other authors write in their books. Making the whole experience blissfully magical.

Ms. Howell's writing also made me feel as though I was listening to...more
Aspoon
I see why only 15 people read this book on amazon.com. It's not all that good. This chick was a serious door mat. A door mat for her family and now a door mat for her "employer". The only connection/chemistry I felt with this couple was at the very beginning when she..oh wait...when her family decided she should kick him to the curb, I honestly felt a real connection between them. I felt that Tearlach really liked her. Now, I understand why Tearlach did not speak up at the trial, I agree it was...more
Rosslyn K
This one is a difficult one for me to rate because I've reread it a couple of times now and I enjoyed the first time, but it doesn't hold up as well during subsequent readings. Ms. Howell is a talented writer and on the one hand, I don't mind that her stories are driven primarily by dialogue and the interactions between the characters even though I'm generally not a fan of that style of writing. She also tends to avoid (thankfully) characters that hold a grudge for even the most minor of things...more
Elis Madison
It's the American Colonies, Massachusetts Bay, 1769.

Tearlach O'Duine

Is courting Pleasance Dunstan

Tearlach has a little half-sister, Moira,

…who thinks she's a witch.

Pleasance has a younger sister, Letitia,

Who is a witch (and not in a good way).

Letitia decides she wants Tearlach, and pouts until their parents demand that Pleasance hand him over.

So Pleasance tells Tearlach to bugger off. His widdle feewings are hurt, so he decides he'll show her by hooking up with Letitia.

FF a month or so. Leti...more
K
I normally am not a fan of historical romance set in the colonel period, but have enjoyed Howell's other books, so figured I could not go wrong. so...overall I enjoyed the story and the characters. However, I thought the story dragged/moved slow at times, therefore my 3 star rating. Would still recommend to other readers of historical romance.
Martha
This historical romance is set in the Massachusetts Bay Colony of 1769. It features a strong hero who doesn't communicate feelings well and a heroine who has been put down all her life yet still feels a fierce loyalty to those she loves. At times it was difficult to read, but overall I really enjoyed the book.
Shadowstorm Norwicca
I really have to say this book was not bad, but it wasn't that good either. I was kind of bored in the beginning and rather disappointed with this book. I guess everyone have a off day and this was a off day because this book I wouldn't recommend, but that is just my opinion.
Nia
So far I'm not sure about it.. the indentured servitude deal is sort of a turn-off.

FINISHED!

Final verdict: Once you read about one grumpy tsundere scotsman, you've pretty much read about them all. It wasn't bad, it was just very predictable.
Nicole
The main male character was constantly getting hurt, and the main female is constantly getting almost-raped. And all but 3 of the men in this book were jackasses.
After a while, even the sex got boring. You can tell this book was published in 1993.
Mumsgang Nash
i love hannah howell books so decided to read others
and chose the wherlokes i was rite in doing this ,the book is really good in both content, characters and story lines well done hannah i cant wait to read the next one
Jae
I am about halfway through a re-read and I have no idea why the hell I liked this book so much. And it's only been 2 years since I last read it. I hate when this happens.

ETA: Blech.
Lady
Oct 15, 2012 Lady marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Cynthia Roberts
This was a very captivating piece. I never read one of her books before and would definitely look for another one of her writings.
Lorraine Lesar
Very disappointed. Not up to her usual standard in my opinion
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • The Brat
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Land of Dreams
  • Maiden of Inverness (Border, #4)
  • Highland Scandal (The Scandalous Series #2)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)
  • Highland Dragon
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon #3)
  • Dream Fever
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • The Warrior (Brotherhood/MacAllister Series, #7)
  • The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)