Start by marking “O Natal de Poirot (Hercule Poirot #20)” as Want to Read:
O Natal de Poirot (Hercule Poirot #20)

O Natal de Poirot (Hercule Poirot #20)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  16,020 ratings  ·  832 reviews
É véspera de Natal. A reunião da família Lee é destruída por um ensurdecedor barulho de mobília a partir-se, seguido por um grito de agonia. No andar de cima, o tirânico Simeon Lee encontra-se morto num lago de sangue com a garganta cortada.
No entanto, quando Hercule Poirot, que se encontra na zona para passar o Natal com um amigo, oferece a sua ajuda, encontra uma atmosfe
Published November 2002 by Edições Asa (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about O Natal de Poirot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Natal de Poirot

I read a lot of my mother’s Agatha Christie novels when I was a teenager. They’re what got me into reading crime fiction. However, my interest in Christie didn’t survive into adulthood and it’s been years since I’ve picked up a Hercule Poirot or a Miss Marple novel.

This particular work, the December 2012 read for the English Mysteries Club group, was probably not the best novel for me to choose as a way of going back to Agatha Christie. She must have written much, much better books. I don’t rem
First Sentence: Stephen pulled up the collar of his coat as he walked briskly along the platform.

Elderly, wealthy Simon Lee has gathered his family around him for a Christmas reunion. Hardly a joyous celebration when the guests hear furniture being overturned, an inhuman scream and find Simon murdered in his locked room. Visiting a friend in the area, Hercule Poirot offers to assist in solving this case where everyone had reason to wish the old man dead.

Reading Christie is always a delight. Ther
Rating Clarification: 2.5 Stars
Alternate title: Hercule Poirot's Christmas
English Mysteries Club Group Read

Not as good as some of the other Christie's I've read, but to the plus side it was a quick read and kept my interest. I guessed whodunnit 3/4 of the way through (which I rarely ever do). It seemed as though Christie slapped me in the face to make it obvious who it was, so much so that I second guessed myself that it could be that person. However, I didn't guess Howdunnit until the reveal.

I was pondering, whilst reading ‘Hercule Poirot’s Christmas’, which quality must exist to make Dame Agatha’s books – for all her weaknesses as an author – so readable. And I’ve come to the conclusion that that quality is probably ‘consistency’.

In another writer’s work – say, for example, Raymond Chandler’s – a scant description, a thin characterisation or a stretch of dialogue which bears virtually no resemblance to any conversation ever had between human beings, would immediately strike a duff
HERCULE POIROT'S CHRISTMAS will be one to remember, but not for the usual trappings of the season. This Agatha Christie mystery is devoid of Yuletide greetings, family celebrations, or the rekindling of old ties. Instead England is portrayed as dark, smoky and foreboding as millionare Simeon Lee insists his four unlikely sons and their wives join him for the day.

There will be no gifts, in fact, Lee plans to take them away! The surprises are twofold. First, the granddaughter the family has never
Laurel Young
This is out of order, as Murder for Xmas, aka Holiday for Murder, aka Hercule Poirot's Xmas, was writen in 1939. However, I re-read it every Christmas, so it's fresh in my mind and I may as well review it now. This is one of her greats! Even though she deliberately made it a "bloody" murder per her nephew's request, it's still as "cozy" as can be--a locked-room murder in a fabulous English country manor house. There was a tradition, during her lifetime, of having a "Christie for Christmas"--that ...more
Sophie Hannah
In many ways this is a very satisfying locked room mystery, but it's not one of the best Poirots because the culprit's identity (no spoilers here!) was a bit disappointing. Can't really say why without giving away too much!
Hunter Murphy
Dec 26, 2014 Hunter Murphy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Recommended to Hunter by: Agatha Christie reading group
When Agatha Christie is on her game, she has few equals. At points, this book was a solid 5 and at other points a 3.5. The beginning and the end of this book were money. The famous Belgian detective doesn't even appear until more than a quarter of the way through it, but when he does, it's just like Christie says in the book: "Hercule Poirot held his audience under the spell of his personality."

I dog-eared all the references to mustaches, because they were just wonderful. I laughed when two of
Agatha Christies are always light reads, fun (except for the corpse and any of the suspects i.e. most of the cast of characters!) and predictable (even though I rarely guess the murderer, there are certain elements I expect in my Agatha Christies - often a house party, a touch of romance, Hercule Poirot's seemingly strange questions that are at odds with the local police's routine questions, people with more money than sense, people with not much money and still not a lot of sense, and so on).

Classic Christie locked room mystery. Didn't see the solving of the murder coming, which of course took place in the manor house with the assembled cast of characters/suspects as Poirot shared his observations and reasoning before the big reveal.

#2 in my 2014 Christmas mystery reading, prompted quite unexpectedly by my reading of The Man With a Load of Mischief.
Where I got the book: my local library. An English Mysteries book club read.

Old, rich Simeon Lee has summoned the estranged members of his family to his home for a family Christmas but, as daughter-in-law Hilda points out, it's more in the spirit of making trouble than that of reconciliation. He makes sure, for instance, that his family members hear him telling his lawyer he's going to change his will, which is music to the ears to some and the knell of doom to others. So it's hardly surprising
Michael Arches
It took me quite a while to get into the story, probably because none of the characters were appealing. The story revolves around a family and hangers-on at a rural English estate. The patriarch is a scheming, diabolical invalid who pits everyone against each other, until he ends up dead. Unfortunately, it takes a while for one of his family members to off him, and until that happy occasion, Hercule Poirot plays no role in the story.

As it happens, he's spending his Christmas in this same English
Shruthi Natarajan

Christie as usual has made my week a confusion, as now all I will be thinking about is that murder and how Simeon Lee got killed by the most unexpected person. I mean, how does she even do this? She is defi
Just finished this one, while on a Christie marathon for the month of January. (Although the title was A Holiday for Murder in my version.)

I just knew that there was going to be a bizzare twist (view spoiler). Still there were enough red herrings to make the conclusion a big surprise!

Christie is always entertaining. A mystery buffs delight!

Really 2.5 stars.

The extra .5 is for my imagination picturing the wonderful David Suchet as Poirot while I waded through this clunker. It was the only thing that made the experience tolerable.

Buddy read with Kim and a group read for the English Mystery Club :-).
Roger Pettit
The Crime Writers' Association, the body that promotes and supports the writing of crime fiction in the UK, recently celebrated its 60th birthday. In a poll organised in honour of the event, its members voted Agatha Christie as the "Best Ever Author" and her book "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" as the "Best Ever Novel". It's not hard to see why Dame Agatha continues to receive such accolades. She is, in my view, unquestionably the greatest ever writer of what are termed 'whodunits'. The reason why ...more
Rich, old Mr Lee has invited all his family back for Christmas, some of whom have not been home for decades. They weren t a particularly harmonious, indeed, many of them hated each other, but nevertheless they all went home for Christmas. It seemed to go all right for a while, but then Mr Lee was brutally murdered in his own bedchamber. Everyone has a motive, but who killed him? The clues point first one way, then another, and then yet another, until almost all of them are suspects. Hercule Poir ...more
Reading (or rather listening to) a Christie mystery after a gap of few months was a refreshing change. I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative and my time spent with mundane chores like ironing and treadmilling just flew away. This is a Christmas mystery involving the death of an impish, malevolent patriarch who supposedly made a lot of enemies while building up his fortune and who was a lady's man with many illegitimate children, so far unacknowledged. He had 5 legitimate heirs, the single daughter ...more
Isn't it great when the whole family gets together for Christmas? And then everybody realizes why they spent decades apart from each other on different continents? And then somebody gets murdered??? Fa la la la la!

Very enjoyable mystery novel. As usual, I learned a couple of new words. A tiresome, dreary, stick-in-the-mud person is a sobersides. And a junior servant in a large household is a betweenmaid. Oh, and people used to refer to a fashion show as a mannequin parade.

Christie isn't really k
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Reading Agatha Christie is always a treat. Hercule Poirot even makes it better. And on top of that a Christmas mystery!

I love these mysteries that are closed mysteries. Where there are limited suspects and limited opportunities. Yet, Agatha still manages to leave a twist. What fun!
Marika Oksa
Oikein hyvä Poirot-kirja - kenties siksi, että suurimman osan sivuista valloitti toisiaan kyräilevä englantilainen suku. Hercule Poirotin jouluun kuuluu murha, mutta olikos tuo nyt yllätys.
mence Arthur Conan :3
I just finished re-reading this & found that even though I recalled who did it, I enjoyed it as much as I remembered. Christie did a wonderful job of placing all the necessary clues for the reader without making the solution obvious.
ص90 : فالأشخاص الذين لا يشعرون بالمودة يضغطون على أنفسهم كثيرا حتى يبدوا ودودين ، إن في عيد الميلاد قدرا كبيرا من النفاق ، نفاق خير إذا جاز التعبير ، إذ أنه مدفوع بدوافع خيرة و لكنه رغم ذلك نفاق
How many of us can relate to this story? It is Christmas and all of the Lee family has been invited home for Christmas. Problem, they all have past hurts and grudges, nobody really wants to be there. Out of a sense of duty they all arrive for Christmas Eve. Old Mr.Lee is a tyrant and controls the money. Right before Christmas Eve supper he decides to cut off the money and rewrite the will. A typical Agatha Christie book, put people together and there will be a murder. I liked the story. It kept ...more
This is one of my favourite memories of a Christmas read. I first read this when I travelling to my mum's for Christmas a few years ago and was stuck at an airport because of a snow storm.

The story unravels in typical Christie fashion... A family gathering at a country house, a bunch of secrets, two strangers, a butler, and the inevitable murder - witnessed by all as a scream so loud that the whole house is shaken and tries to break down old Mr Lee's door. It is locked from the inside.

What ensu
Adela C.
Am tot zis că trebuie să citesc romanele de Agatha Christie. Faptul că încep tocmai cu Crăciunul lui Poirot este strict întâmplător, fiind prima pe care am pus mâna când am mers data trecută la bibliotecă.

Simeon Lee este un bătrân bogat și mândru. În tinerețe umbla cu multe femei, făcându-i viața mizerabilă soției lui, despre care se zicea că a murit de inimă rea. Sub pretextul împăcării cu familia de care s-a înstrăinat, Simeon organizează o reuniune de familie cu ocazia Crăciunului. Ceea ce fa
Ingrid Fasquelle
Sans être un chef d'oeuvre, Le Noël d'Hercule Poirot est un roman au suspense captivant. Qui a tué le vieux Mr Lee ? Le lecteur devra faire fonctionner ses méninges à plein régime pour démêler l'inextricable pelote d'énigmes imaginée par la Reine du crime...

Car dans cette enquête classique (mais néanmoins efficace), c'est Agatha Christie qui mène la danse ! Elle multiplie les indices et les rebondissements et instille le doute et la tension dans l'esprit du lecteur. A force de soupçons, celui-ci
Wirotomo Nofamilyname
Salah satu buku karya Agatha Christie yang sangat saya suka.

Agatha Christie's style banget. banyak orang berkumpul di sebuah rumah untuk merayakan Natal, dan tiba-tiba sang pemilik rumah meninggal, terbunuh.

Saya ingat ketika saya membaca buku ini pertama kali, saya sampai mengulang membacanya untuk memastikan fakta-fakta yang sepertinya jadi penentu tapi terlewat oleh saya. Dan ternyata memang benar, Agatha Christie dengan "liciknya" menempatkan clue pelayan rumah mengeluhkan seperti dejavu saat
Having watched the TV version of this so many times at Christmas, I enjoyed rediscovering that the movie actually followed the plot of the book very closely, aside from the condensing of a few characters. A very fun read with a lot of Christmas and mystery atmosphere.
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • An English Murder
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“It is the quietest and meekest people who are often capable of the most sudden and unexpected violences for the reason that when their control does snap, it goes entirely. (Hercule Poirot)” 14 likes
“In conversation, points arise! If a human being converses much, it is impossible for him to avoid the truth! (Hercule Poirot)” 9 likes