Start by marking “Justice at Risk (Benjamin Justice, #3)” as Want to Read:
Justice at Risk (Benjamin Justice, #3)

Justice at Risk (Benjamin Justice #3)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A Benjamin Justice Mystery

Benjamin Justice knows a reporter is nothing without credibility. He learned the hard way when a Pulitzer was snatched from his grasp. It's been a long, hard climb to find even a fraction of the work he once had. But his fortunes are about to change: Justice has been offered the opportunity to script a documentary for public television.

Only after
Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published May 2nd 2000 by Crimeline (first published May 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Justice at Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice at Risk

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanSticks & Stones by Madeleine UrbanFish & Chips by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Madeleine Urban
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
322nd out of 723 books — 1,062 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
258th out of 601 books — 581 voters

More lists with this book...

Ije the Devourer of Books
Another excellent book in the Benjamin Justice series. This third book in the series sees Benjamin slowly drawn into solving the murder of a camerman.

As Ben investigates he begins to unravel and uncover a story of brutality, violence and invisible power.

The story is just brilliant in the way it twists and turns, and as the pieces slowly come together the tension in the story increases into a crescendo of an ending.

Violent and brutal in places but the best in this series so far!
Kevin Klehr
Jan 04, 2014 Kevin Klehr rated it really liked it
This was my first introduction to Benjamin Justice and as I came in at Book 3, I was dropped in the middle of a fascinating saga.

I'm not really into crime novels, so the murder mystery became secondary to me. But the main character intrigued me. He's his own worst enemy, who at times of elevating himself to a successful career, his moral compass takes over. Both commendable and flawed in the context of the story.

When the author matches Justice's dialogue against others who are paramount to his i
Chris
Jul 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, done, mystery, 2012
Very good, but very dark, gay mystery in which Ben meets two very different but compelling men, gets some work putting together a documentary on risky sex, and is drawn into investigating yet another convoluted and dangerous situation. This was dark enough that I need to take a bit of a break from the series...
Linda
Aug 04, 2007 Linda rated it did not like it
Horrible. Just horrible.
Catherine  Mustread
After a relatively mild start (sexually) this third title in the Benjamin Justice series turns to the much darker side of homosexual relationships and could serve as a warning for those curious about such affairs. The graphic and disturbing nature of the description adds to the tension of the mystery and accentuates the flaws of the protagonist who continues to emerge from his self-imposed exile.

I'll be seeking the next few titles in the series, #4 The Limits of Justice, #5 Blind Eye and #6 Moth
Freyja Vanadis
I feel the same way about this book as I do about the television series "Friends": I love the show but I detest the character Ross, and I love it when bad things happen to him. It's the same with the Justice series: I love the books, but I hate the character Benjamin Justice, and it doesn't bother me at all when bad things happen to him because he brings it on himself. He rides roughshod over pretty much every single person he comes across, whether friend or foe. For some reason, John Morgan Wil ...more
_inbetween_
This time I'm trying not use any spoilers. Like the previous Wilson/Justice novel, I might well give it more stars someday.

What I said before re. setting of LA not appealing to me and the big plot surprise being obvious (though it was quite original) still holds true - as does that I like Wilson and his Benjamin Justice very much and wish I could read much more in that world.

As much as I'm bored with gay Hollywood/LA, as much this protagonist is outside of that scene. What critics call "dark" I
KC
Jun 03, 2015 KC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-fiction, mystery
Excellent writing. Good mystery. I thought the story could have been wrapped up sooner and with less gratuitous violence. (view spoiler) Even so, I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Benjamin Justice is such an in ...more
Kim
Mar 26, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
There's a lot going on in this book, a little too much at times, but I found the story interesting. This is not a book for the faint of heart because some brutal stuff happens. I'm looking forward to the next Justice book.
Lori S.
Sometimes I wonder if Benjamin Justice even knows how to quit, but that's neither here nor there, as his persistence not only answers questions which need to be asked, but also puts our, erm, intrepid hero in danger of the worst kind. It's something he's going to have live with for the rest of his life and, yet, some how, he keeps surviving, keeps going in spite of himself.

This is a good book and the series just seems to get better as we go. Next up (and more than half-way read already) The Limi
Writerlibrarian
Apr 29, 2008 Writerlibrarian rated it really liked it
Crisp, witty and quite dark. This third novel in the Benjamin Justice series opens with Ben quietly celebrating his 40th birthday, getting a professional break witting for tv and being set up for a blind date. First person narrative that brings you along Ben's journey into trying to choose between what's bad for him and what's right. This book has more violence than the others and is more graphic in the description of this violence. Still it's a fast paced, tightly written mystery with a dark tw ...more
Matt
Sep 09, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
No doubt about it; I couldn't put it down. But an already gritty series takes a turn into very dark territory here, and I woke up the morning after I finished this with my stomach still turning. I like the humanity of the main character enough that I will probably continue, but my stomach needs to settle first. Oy. Talk about a shitstorm of misery by the end (and thankfully, followed by justice)!
Jon
My favorite Benjamine Justice novel! This one will keep you guessing the entire time; mystery, murder, suspense, dark secrets, bdsm - and a thrill ride to keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page is turned!
Shanna
Apr 28, 2013 Shanna rated it really liked it
Another great mystery, well plotted with great complex characters. Poor Ben never gets a break does he?
Mary G Martin
Mary G Martin rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Randal Hewitt
Randal Hewitt rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Ardent
Ardent rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Jim Stults
Jim Stults marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Wendy Walters
Wendy Walters rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Julie Austin Edwards
Julie Austin Edwards rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Ikhneumon
Ikhneumon marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Snow-hurricane
Snow-hurricane rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Tal
Tal rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Ripley
Ripley rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Burning Plain
  • Flight Dreams (Mark Manning Mystery, #1)
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • Nightwork (Dave Brandstetter, #7)
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
  • The Butcher's Son (A Dick Hardesty Mystery, #1)
John Morgan Wilson is the author of several novels in the Benjamin Justice series as well as two co-written books with band leader Peter Duchin. He's the winner of the Edgar Award and three-time winner of the Lambda Literary Award for the Benjamin Justice novels. He lives in West Hollywood, CA.

Series:
* Benjamin Justice
* Philip Damon Mystery
More about John Morgan Wilson...

Benjamin Justice (8 books)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • Revision of Justice (Benjamin Justice, #2)
  • The Limits of Justice (Benjamin Justice, #4)
  • Blind Eye (Benjamin Justice, #5)
  • Moth and Flame (Benjamin Justice, #6)
  • Rhapsody in Blood (Benjamin Justice, #7)
  • Spider Season (Benjamin Justice, #8)