Start by marking “Why Do Leaves Change Color?” as Want to Read:
Why Do Leaves Change Color?

Why Do Leaves Change Color? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

Why do leaves turn from green to gold?It's fall! The leaves are changing color. This book explains the magical process of how leaves change their color in autumn. Also included are simple activities and places to visit so that you can enjoy the fall foliage with your family.
Published September 30th 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Why Do Leaves Change Color?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do Leaves Change Color?

Oct 09, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I can see using in my future classroom. With vivid illustrations and simple but informative text, this book helps young children understand why leaves change color in the fall. The book also gives in-text definitions of new vocabulary to make new words (chlorophyll) more approachable for students.
Heather Hilliker
This story is all about the changes seen throughout the trees and leaves. It begins by introducing the readers to a scenario at the start of the autumn season, and the author takes the audience through a variety of facts regarding leaf colors. The author even points out in labeled pictures the different types of leaves that fall from different types of trees. This book has beautiful illustrations with great use of fall colors, and the pictures really help to bring the factual information togethe ...more
Tots R
Apr 27, 2015 Tots R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why Do Leaves Change Color? By Betsy Maestro, Loretta Krupinski (Illustrations) (Nonfiction)

Great Science Book! This is a great book to read to young children when teaching them about leaves. I love to read this book around fall when leaves start to change colors and fall off of the trees. This informative concept book includes detailed pictures of leaves in different sizes, shapes, and colors and a list of activities that kids can do with leaves. The kids really loved the illustrations, and the
Geneva Roberts
Mar 30, 2014 Geneva Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Why Do Leaves Change Colors is an informative book on the changes leaves go through during the fall and winter seasons. The illustrations are colorful and lively and are very accurately depicted. This book discusses the different sizes of leaves, the types and how they are important to the tree and what their purpose is.I think the book has some great vocabulary to teach young children about leaves and nature and is developmentally appropriate. I would use this book to teach a unit on leaves and ...more
Megan Boomgarden
This book explores the facts behind the changing season of fall and gives teh scientific answers for our beautiful scenery. It tells about the different varieties of trees and leaves and the colors that are specific to each variety.

This is a book that would be great to use for a read-a-lound in an early elementary classroom. I say this because conceptually, the information is presented in a way that is apporopiate for this age level, but some of the sentances may be too hard for the students to
From the front cover this book looks like it is for preschoolers but actually I was surprised to find a fairly high level of content in the book. It seemed like it would be a good book for first and second graders. Some of the vocabulary introduced included the words, chlorophyll, pigment, tannin, and sumac leaves. The pages that had pictures of different leaves with labels of which type of tree they are from was a good teaching tool. I even learned a lot of new names of trees that I didn’t know ...more
Alison Durbin
I think that this book would be fantastic for a science unit about plants/leaves. The terminology seems accessible for young readers, and the illustrations aid in further understanding. I also appreciated how the illustrator depicted different types of leaves of various trees so that the children will be able to identify them outside of the classroom/home.

I thought it was very clever to provide different crafts you can do with leaves, which allows teachers to potentially get ideas for future les
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you and your kids are looking for a fall project, then this is the book for you. This is a very informational book about the life of a tree. It teaches children why leaves fall in the winter and why they change colors. There are various types of trees that are referenced. There are also activities listed in the back so that your kids can have actual hands on with leaves. It is important for a child to learn by touching and seeing.

The illustrations are great. Each page walks your child through
I read this book while visiting a first grade class. After reading the book, we discussed the facts about leaves and the reasons why they change color. I asked students to share some of the different colored leaves they've seen and an activity they enjoy doing during the fall. After the story and discussion, I gave students a paper that had an outline of a leaf; I had them color the leaf using some of the colors we talked about and to write about two things they learned about leaves and write a ...more
Leslie Kress
Mar 18, 2015 Leslie Kress rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why Do Leaves Change Color? is an informative nonfiction story. The information is explained very clearly and the book is very easy to follow. The illustrations are colorful and go well with the story. Many leaves are labeled to help the reader learn about different kinds of leaves. I might skip over a few parts if I was reading this book to my first grade class. Overall, I found this to be a great factual book with some great details about fall and how leaves change color. I liked how the autho ...more
Kandice Buck
Oct 07, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasons
The children in the book are outside with their parents in their backyard and begin to think about how leaves change colors. They start to ask and try to understand why the leaves change. Throughout the book the children find out how and why the leaves change in the fall. This book is very informative and very colorful. It would be a wonderful book to read to children when teaching them about the different seasons and about what happens during the fall. All children in the classroom would be abl ...more
Lisa Overberg
Oct 26, 2013 Lisa Overberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
This book is a wonderful resource to science units. It includes information about the fall season and why the leaves change colors. Information included in text includes the colors leaves can be, the different shapes they can be, a picture of what the inside of a leaf looks like, and different types of trees. Children will be able to make connections to the outside world in terms of the types of leave they have near their homes and around their school.

Grade Level: PreK-4
Lexile: 710L
DRA: Not Ava
Tara Mensing
This book is informative for children learning about the changing of the seasons and leaves. There are pictures of different leaves and they're labeled like "silver maple" or "white oak". The book explains chlorophyll and it's significance and why leaves change from green to another pigment. The book anticipates many questions children may wonder about, for example: The book relates leaves changing colors to colors seen in some vegetables and why colors of the leaves vary from year to year. Ther ...more
Anthony W
Mar 22, 2010 Anthony W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbgs-4
Here is a book that talks about the reasoning behind the changing of leave colors. It also relates to the season of fall and all the different leaves through the story.

This would be a wonderful teaching book in a science class for the younger reader. Throughout the book it mentions different leaves and trees. Not only explaing the reasoning behind the changing of leave colors it explains into more depth. Not only with the great teaching words that illustration is quite lovely. It covers the page
Helen Cox
This book explains the concepts of photosynthesis, pigments and chlorophyll. It also includes activities that children can do with leaves. This book has beautiful photographs on each page. "Through simple descriptions, children ages 5 to 9 learn how natural chemical processes convert the green leaves of summer to yellow, orange, and red." -scholastic

Activity: Leaf Rubbings
Have students do leaf rubbings using white construction paper, crayons, and a leaf. The students can also trace the outlines
Oct 29, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, and it's explanation of why leaves change their colors. The illustrations are good, and colorful. There are large pictures of different tree leaves, with the names clearly labeled. It tells the colors of different trees, and why the leaves are more colorful some years, and not in others. There are fun things to do with leaves. It tells how the leaves help to feed the trees, and why they drop their leaves in preparation for the coming of winter.
Kristin Forman
Jul 31, 2014 Kristin Forman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What really drew me to this book were the beautiful, colorful illustrations. The children in the book were raking leaves and they were wondering why leaves change colors. This book explains what happens to leaves in the fall. Children will also see the different types, shapes, and colors of leaves. It also gives a list of activities that kids can do with leaves. This book is highly recommended for children who are learning about leaves.
Phuong Dao
Dec 04, 2010 Phuong Dao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Why do leaves change color is a book that a saw first and second grade class has. It talks about how do leaves change color. It change color because during the winter there were not enough sunlight for to make the chlorophyll therefore the leaves lose it green color and turn into different kind of color then it begin to die. This book is good to teach about the season and about why leaves change color.
Danielle Wynn
Nov 30, 2010 Danielle Wynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Great Illustrations!! I love this book it gives great information about leaves changing colors. I used this book in my 1st grade class integrating Science and ELA/Reading. Created a 2-D tree and had students pick leaves from outside and create leaf rubbings to cut-out and paste on the tree. Afterwards, students had to create a flipbook about 4 important things they learned about leaves changing colors.
Mar 14, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informative
This book had a lot of great information. It talked about the color, sizes, and shapes of leaves. It also discussed the different leaves that come from certain trees such as red oak, gray birch, silver maple, etc. The book explains how the leaves obtain their color. I would read this book to my students as a science lesson at the beginning of the year before the leaves start to change.
Dec 09, 2015 Halee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun book. I loved the colorful pictures and the vibrancy of each picture. This book would best suit younger elementary classes, preschool-3rd grade. I thought it was a cute way of addressing the questions so many children ask. "Why do leaves change colors" is what they all wonder at some point in their lives. I liked this book and all of its wonderful illustrations.
Dec 03, 2010 Julian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, seasons, fall
Great book for teaching younger grades about the changes that takes place during the season of fall. The book takes out on a picturesque and very informative journey explaining what happens to leaves in autumn as they change color and separate from trees. Pre-k -2nd grade can benefit greatly from this book.
Mary Dye
I found this book very interesting. It takes a lesson, that could be very boring and makes it fun and interesting through a picture book. The colors in the illustrations are gorgeous, and the words are evenly spaced so that the reader doesn't get overwhelmed when they turn the page.
Melissa Housholder
Wonderful book that describes why the leaves change colors in the fall. Goes into why leaves on certain trees are different than leaves on other trees. Great labels and descriptions. Would be perfect for teaching about seasons.
Oct 10, 2009 ABC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My six year old was too young for this book. It reads like an encyclopedia entry, with information but not a lot of fun.

I think a more mature children could appreciate it, IF the child was actually interested in the subject matter. If not, then forget it!
Sarah Adamson
A very informative book on how and why the leaves change color in the fall. Some beautiful illustrations, great images for telling leaves apart, wonderful explanations of why leaves change color differently depending on various factors.
Aug 14, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great informational book about fall and leaves. Would be great to use in a lesson. Also has a list of ideas kids can do with leaves at the end of the book. The leaf rubbing would be interesting with various types of leaves.
This is the book to go to if you wan to know why leaves change color in the fall. It has illustrations about the different types of leaves and what a leaf looks like when cut in half. There are suggestions for leaf-related activities at the end of the book.
Erin Chambers
Wonderful. This book does a wonderful job explaining how and why leaves change color and why they are green as well. It shows pictures of several leaves, their name, and which tree they are from. This book would be a great read-aloud for fall and the kids can learn quite a bit from this book.
Feb 15, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations. Gives great information on the process of leaves changing color and in a way that any child would understand. Gives you hands on activities/ideas you can do as a family. Overall good book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Autumn Leaves
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How a Seed Grows
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • Leaf Jumpers
  • Clouds
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
Before beginning her career in children's books, Betsy Maestro was a teacher. Her first book with Giulio Maestro was A Wise Monkey Tale published in 1975, and since then they have collaborated on more than one hundred books. Their on-going American Story series began with the highly acclaimed The Discovery of the Americas and continues to help young readers understand and appreciate our nations hi ...more
More about Betsy Maestro...

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean