The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)

The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Original Bobbsey Twins #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,755 ratings  ·  98 reviews
When their elderly neighor Mrs. Marden reports that some of her valuables have gone missing, the twins investigate.
Published June 3rd 2004 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
173rd out of 3,077 books — 5,831 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
What Book Got You Hooked?
126th out of 2,722 books — 7,515 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlotte
While most books in the 1001
childrens books series are timeless, The Bobbsey Twins is definitly of a time. Unfortunately this time is one of segregation and racism.

For example: The twins sort their dolls- the best doll had blond hair and blue eyes, the worst doll is black and dirty and named jujubee and segregated from the other white dolls wth a piece of cardboard.

The bobbsey's also have live in black help, who are characterized as full of childlike wonder.

The children do have some good ole f...more
Alicyn
i never read these as a kid. i decided to read it because it's in the public domain and free for kindle, and for some reason i thought they were mysteries for kids. (i did devour and love nancy drew books.)

i wouldn't recommend this to any current children, or my possible future children, without also having a discussion about how race and gender roles are portrayed in the book. kids might find it interesting to see how kids used to play (i.e., outside), and probably wouldn't find the various "a...more
Cathy
This was the first "novel" I ever read, when I was four, so of course I liked it. The problem was, I had never heard of a bookmark.

You know, when you read a picture-book, you start at the beginning, and read to the end. I didn't realize I didn't have to do that with this book as well, and one day in kindergarten I finally read the whole thing, and with a great sense of pride, I went up to my mom and told her of my accomplishment. That's when I learned about bookmarks!
CLM
Admittedly, the concept and the twins got tiresome very fast but there was something appealing about the very first Bobbsey Twins book if you were 7 or 8 years old when you first came across it. I imagine the books I inherited belong to my paternal grandmother because I cannot imagine my father reading them.
Melody
I know if I re-read these I'd give them a one star rating. But I loved them so much as a child. Mother read them to me each night until I started reading them myself.
Michele
Honestly, I hardly remember this book. Here is what I do remember: I loved this book. I read it probably 35 years ago. The copy I read was old even then--a taped up copy from the 1950s that had belonged to my mother as a child. I was thoroughly enthralled, and read the next two copies my mother owned right away. For years I hunted down various editions of Bobbsey Twins titles, just to collect them. These are dated stories, with all kinds of stereotype issues, but nonetheless, as a child, I loved...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 08, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early readers who would enjoy a mystery, kids interested in twins
This was the very first mystery book I ever read; I was 8 years old. It’s the first of many Bobbsey Twin books. That year I then continued through the entire series and really enjoyed it. It’s about 2 sets of girl-boy sibling twins ages 12 & 6, and the allure of the books was more from the two sets of twins than the light mysteries in the plots.
Debbie Phillips
Aug 31, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All families - great for read-aloud to young ones!!
LOVE IT!

I read these books when I was a young girl. I have original copies of some of the books. Old, old ones with the green covers. I am excited to have found a lot of them FREE on Kindle and have started reading them. I am thrilled.

These books are just good family reading. The characters are moral, the times are slower, the twins are cute, some of the problems they face are the same as ones our kids face today. "The party to be held that afternoon was at the home of Grace Lavine, the little...more
Shenek
Jan 08, 2014 Shenek added it
I remember loving this series as a child before getting into the Hardy Boys series. So recently when I was at the library I picked it up to read to my boys. They loved it and I ended up reading it in two sittings. I don't remember the book much from when I was little and one of the only things I did remember is gone in the new edition. Dinah, the Bobbsey family's helper, is no longer quite as 'Black' in her language. As a child I had a really difficult time understanding her vernacular so it's p...more
Barb Keister
This is the first series I remember reading when I was a child. While some of the stereotypes wouldn't fly today, it was fun to read about the adventures of Nan, Bert, Freddie, and Flossie once again. (My book with the original cover shows a publication date of 1961.)
Jill
Sep 21, 2014 Jill is currently reading it
I am reading the edition that has not been updated. The Bobbsey family travels by sleigh or foot and has a black couple working for them that lives above the stable. Unfortunately, the black doll is separated from the white dolls when they are lined up.
Eva
saya biasanya menyukai buku bacaan anak, jadi saya menyimpulkan saya suka buku cerita anak. namun ternyata setelah membaca buku Enid Blyton seri Sapta Siaga dan buku seri Bobbsey Twins ini, sepertinya saya harus menelaah bahwa tidak semua buku cerita anak saya sukai. Untuk bacaan anak di bawah 13 tahun seperti seri yang saya sebutkan sebelumnya saya cepat merasa bosan membaca buku tersebut, meski bukunya tipis saja. Demikian juga seri Bobbsey Twins ini, saya tidak tahu apakah saya menyukainya, y...more
Leslie
Another childhood favorite returned to and the same can't-put-me-down feeling allowed it to be started and finished in one day! I can't wait to introduce my children to these books in a few years.
Sharon
I loved this book as a kid and just re-read it in a single afternoon. Keeping in mind the social mores of the time it was written (very early 20th C.) and that problems were different then than now, it still is an outstanding story for young people and can be seen as an opportunity for a discussion about how times have changed.

Bert and Nan, and Freddie and Flossie, the two sets of Bobbsey twins, deal with bullies, scary situations, etc., and learn lessons about kindness and good behavior through...more
Abigail Averill
This series is a great read for youth and adult alike, mysteries that bring excitement as well as heartwarming family relations.
Terrie
This is the first series of books I read in the third and fourth grades. These started my love of reading.
Queue
My aunt got this book for us. Back in the old days without cell phones and computers.
Rebecca
Such happy memories of summer reading as a child!
Karen Jean Matsko Hood
Loved this as a child
Heidi Green
**One of the books that has made a personal impact on me at one point (childhood, adolescence, adulthood) in my life. I bought these to read to my children when they got old enough… I should have left my wonderful memories in tact. ;-)
Diane Bluegreen
this was 'my' childhood series. loved them!
Tirzah
I should probably move this book to the childhood books shelf as Bert, Nan, Freddie, and Flossie were a large part of my growing up. Their adventurous mysteries are full of fun and laughter. The writing and setting is very similar to another classic children's series, The Happy Hollisters. I really enjoyed reading the first one and the rest of the books. I would definitely add this series to any children's library!
PacaLipstick Gramma
I was introduced to the Bobbsey Twins as a young girl. I loved them!

When my children were young, I introduced them to my favorite childhood friends. The grandkids may think they are hokey, but it might be time to unpack some of my old books and introduce them to Nan and Bert, and Freddie and Flossie. The dialog may not be what they are used to, but I think they are classic books and stand the test of time.
Susanna
Definitely a product of its time, sometimes in a charming, sometimes in an offensive manner. I enjoyed it for the nostalgia factor (I loved the Bobbseys). I read it aloud to the kids and they were amused enough to stay with it throughout, and thought the random ridiculousness was funny (I skipped the racist and sexist bits though could have, I supposed, used them as teachable moments.)
Kate
How fun! Last time I read a Bobbsey Twins book was probably in 1979! I remember the series so fondly and it was really nostalgic to curl up with the twins on my first day of 2014! I would love to read this with my kids sometime soon.
Line
This series was a particular favorite of mine as a child. I would read each book with gusto and great appetite. The fun and mystery two sets of twins would run into never ran out, (maybe this is where my fascination with twins comes from...) and my bookshelves got fuller and fuller, fortunately we had a used bookstore nearby and I was a frequent customer :)
Melea
I had a hard time choosing a star rating on this book. This is the first in the series, and I downloaded an original version from 1904. Keeping in mind the social system of the period helped me keep it in context. The story is pretty simplistic, and the characters are stereotypical. I'm glad I read it, but I won't read any more.
Jon
I can understand why my grandma liked these books. They are fun. They don't seem like they are of the greater literary quality, but that's OK, the kids are headed to lala land while I'm reading them and they really enjoy them.

I did have to edit some parts of it for racial content to be compatible with modern sensibilities.
Kris
I really liked this, early on, as a child, when I read it in the early 60's. But the racism is quite blatant for a modern reader, so if you let your child read this, be sure to discuss the racism with them, and how it is not acceptable anymore. But it is still a classic children's book, so it's worth reading in that sense.
  • The Happy Hollisters (Happy Hollisters, #1)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew, #34)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • Bill's New Frock
The Bobbsey Twins are the principal characters of what was, for many years, the Stratemeyer Syndicate's longest-running series of children's novels, penned under the pseudonym Laura Lee Hope. Series written under this pseudonym include: The Bobbsey Twins (1904-), The Outdoor Girls (23 vols. 1913-1933), The Moving Picture Girls (7 vols. 1914-1916), Bunny Brown (20 vols. 1916-1931), Six Little Bunke...more
More about Laura Lee Hope...
The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in the Country (Bobbsey Twins, #2) The Secret at the Seashore The Bobbsey Twins on a Houseboat (Bobbsey Twins, #6) The Bobbsey Twins' Big Adventure at Home (The Bobbsey Twins #8) The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at School (Bobbsey Twins, #4)