It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It

It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  3,727 ratings  ·  122 reviews
In his first phenomenal best-seller, EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN, Robert Fulghum reminded readers everywhere of some plain and still-true truths. Now, picking up where he left off, Fulghum turns our eyes to show-and-tell, weddings, his own ten commandments, and more insightful and unique observations on what our world is and was....
Published March 2nd 1991 by Ivy Books (first published 1989)

Jeana
Dec 27, 2010 Jeana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeana by: *Christie*
This is a sweet, hopeful book of little essays. It's the kind of book you can keep in your purse for when you have a moment (and just a moment, as most of the stories are quite short) and pull it out and be renewed. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. But there's a lot of different stuff in here and I think it's the kind of stuff you reflect upon as life goes on. Thank you, my friend Christie, for giving me this book and this part of you. I especially loved the John Pierpont s...more
Erin
This is a very hopeful group of essays by the author of "All I Really Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten." He shares insights from his life, people he randomly met, lists of things to be thankful for, and amusing stories. He made me laugh and cry and the laugh and cry. I found myself writing down pages that I want to read again, even though it is a library book. I really needed this book this month and I thought it was wonderful.

Have you ever heard of John Pierpont? As Fulghum explains, Pie...more
Rose
Great book and great author. He also wrote "All I need to know I learned in Kindergarten". This book consists of short stories that he takes from his personal life and are often humorous (especially the story about the mother of the bride), sad, or thought provoking. It is a quick read with each chapter only being 1-2 pages.

I found the author to be a deep thinker and jack of all trades and master of none. His bio says he has held over 20 jobs in various capacities.

Sandy H
I've never read any of Robert Fulghum's books before because I had certain assumptions about them that made me think I was unlikely to enjoy them. I was aware of his essay "Everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten" but had gotten so tired of reading and hearing it referred to and spun off from in popular press and popular culture that I mentally painted him with the same brush--cliched, "cutesy," trite. (Not to say I didn't enjoy that essay, but everything that was done with it in t...more
Elaine
"We are the only creature that both laugh and weep. I think its because we are the only creatures that see the difference between the way things are and the way they might be. Tears bring relief. Laughter brings release."

I enjoyed reading his books. I specially like the story about the handsome brother and the toad brother, i shed tears of joy when i was reading that part.

This book teaches us about lessons in life also hardships, struggles and simple joys.
Lucy
I remember my mom found this book in my room when I was in sixth or seventh grade (I had stolen it from my grandparents house) and FLIPPED OUT. She never did give it back to me or bother to find what it actually was about (much less apologize). She just thought the title was naughty and reflexively banned me from reading it. Ha! I didn't mind much- I had already read it like 20 times.

Mark
In my mind, Fulghum laid a whopper on us back in kindergarten. Now he takes us to being grownups having responsibilities. His advice on making marriage real is valuable.

Much of the book is rambling patter, unmemorable as a whole. Watch for gems of wisdom held beneath the surface. These aren't always subtle, but sublime and explicit.
Jessica
Another great installment. I love the story about Rosa Parks, it is emotional and profound. It stays with you for awhile after reading it.
Carole
Very thoughtful, uplifting, and often humorous essays from a former Unitarian minister (whose personal struggles add weight to his writing). There are lots of lessons to take from the experiences the author shares with us. I'm a big fan of all of his books, perhaps this one most of all. Lest you think this is some run-of-the-mill pop psychology or so-called self help book, it's not. But you can still take important life lessons from the reading of it. I don't hold on to most of the books I read,...more
Leah
This is another book I received through a BookCrossing trade. Before starting it I wasn't too familiar with Robert Fulghum. I knew that he wrote All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (which I've never read), that he was a UU minister (which did earn him a few brownie points), and that he gave his books long and intriguing titles. So basically, I was interested in giving him a try.

It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It is a collection of short essays and anecdotes about life. They're...more
Kaethe
I haven't read the whole book a zillion times, but I have read the "quintessential wedding tale" aloud to a number of brides on their wedding days (and had it read aloud to me on mine) and it may be my favorite story in the whole world. It makes me laugh. I makes everyone laugh, with tears, running down our faces, and our chests heaving. It is also a very sweet story, besides being hilarious.
Ethan Clark
Occasionally, I get into a reading lull wherein I forget what a good book is like. Thank you, Mr. Fulghum, for showing me once again. Every chapter seems to hold some nugget of advice about daily living that everybody would do good to live by. I have the other two conversational essays of his, but I don't want to expend such great material just yet.

If you haven't read some of his work yet, I implore you to do so. It's written unlike any other book that I've read, having the flow and spacing of...more
Kerry Cerra
Okay, so Fulghum does it again. I laughed the whole way through. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it's hard to top or equal his first book, ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN. This is a close second and totally worth owning, but the first is still my love!
Deylight Writer
I had heard the title of this book floating are for years. An interesting title for sure - and I'm not sure why I never picked it up to read. However, I am so glad I finally did! It's a great "little" book about life, learning, lessons, people, family, serendipity, having fun, laughing, exploring, grace and much more. I highly recommend it for an uplifting read. It is also fun and funny - I found myself LOL reading as I rode public transportation. Its a book everyone can relate to - remember - a...more
Kyra
"It's not the meaning of life, it's the meaning in life." Robert Fulghum has lived the life that is worth telling someone about, and I'm glad the story was shared with me. His ability to find the good in every thing and to be able to learn so much from simply watching others is a gift. By sharing with us we are given the chance to change how we think. My favorite part is that he never tries to push anything on you, he tries to explain his reasoning for the way he lives without forcing himself to...more
Roni
I had this book sitting around for years. An intriguing title for sure - and I'm not sure why I haven't picked it up to read right away after I read his first book, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". However, I am so glad I finally did at right moment of my life! It's a great and quick reading about people, life, lessons, people, relationship, serendipity, laughing, exploring, learning, grace and much more. I highly recommend it for an uplifting and fun read. I was smiling fr...more
Greg
This is Fulghum's second book, following closely on the heels of his first, a bestseller. In fact, at the same time that Everything I need to Know was #1 on at least one best seller list, It Was on Fire was #2. This was the first in the list’s history that the same author had the #1 and #2 books on it at once.

Like his first, this is a collection of heartwarming essays, full of homespun wisdom and thoughtful reflections on life and living. It is a wonderful book to read over a Thanksgiving or Ch...more
Indika De Silva
The second book written by Robert Fulghum contains fascinating tales filled with homespun and snippets of wisdom. Some of the these essays are quite heartwarming. But overall it is a wonderful read.
Zoey
To si musíte přečíst. Pan Fulghum píše úplně úžasně, a bez něj bych nepřišla na to, jak se správně leze na stromy, jak se správně brečí a že synové můžou být matky a nevěsty ne vždy respektují přání svých matek.
U téhle knihy, jakožto pokračování Školky, jsem se moc nasmála. Tenhle děda, jako by mi úplně rozuměl. Taky nesnáší psi, o čemž píše v prvním díle (teď si nejsem jistá), miluje pastelky a dělá noční nájezdy na lednici, což já tedy nepreferuji, ale což :) Navíc jsem potěšila mamku, že čtu...more
Skottmeier
This not the type of book I generally read. A friend in college insisted that I read it. I was in college over 22 years ago and the book still influences some of the decisions I make today. It is a simple, fun, quick read that leaves you with a lot to think about.
Veronika
Fulghum je prostě nepřekonatelný. Snad nikdy nezklouzne k patosu a opakování sebe sama...
Kelv
Too short, not enough pages / stories / anecdotes - a bit disappointing. Although, what was written was good.
Emily
Fulghum has had an interesting life. He's been a minister, cowboy, salesman, teacher, writer, and amateur philosopher. This book is a continuation of the anecdotes and fables he so memorably presented us with in "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten." The vignettes are humorous and thought-provoking. In fact, I spent a lot of time staring off into space between them and trying to internalize what I had just read. I was afraid the writing would come off either syrup-y or preachy, b...more
Loretta
I enjoyed Fulghum's short essays from not liking pets to the wonderful philosophers in Greece. Reading his stories is like chatting with him. And we got to find out where the title came from!!!
Missy
I liked this book for the short, stand-alone chapters. I rarely have big chunks of time to read so a book I can pick up now and then is a bonus. There were several laugh-out-loud stories that I had to share with whoever was in the room or car with me at the time. There were also a few nuggets of wisdom that I made a mental note to hold onto. What I didn't like (and why I gave it three stars) were the few crude bits that seemed out of place. Overall, however, it was an enjoyable book.
Garrett
This was semi-interesting. I had never read the All I Learned in Kindergarten book,so I was a little lost on some of the things he was saying at first. However, there is not a lot here.

He is sometimes humorous with the stories he shares, and they did get me thinking about a couple things, even gave me some story ideas.

But, I can't remember anything from the book at this time (I'm writing this almost 2 months after the fact).
Larynda McKay
What can I say? I just love Robert Fulghum's essays. He has the most interesting things to say; with the most exciting and unique perceptions on living! Every single book he writes is fantastic. He has such a sense of humor, strong moral values, and appreciates the simple things (like Sun Tea and painting a room).

You must read this. Must, must, must. And then when you are done, take out another one of his books, repeat!
Samantha
This book wasn't amazing, but there were tidbits of wisdom in it that I enjoyed. It reminded me a bit of David Sedaris, except with no profanity. But short stories drawn from real life, with some humor. I did feel like Fulgum would have profited from axing a few of the stories, but whatever. I haven't yet read his Kindergarten book, written prior to this one, and I might just pick it up, sometime.
Stephanie
When I was in 5th grade, I was obsessed with Robert Fulghum. I must have read this book twenty times. In hindsight, I really don't know if it's stood up over time, but I was obsessed when I was circa ten years old. For what it's worth, Fulghum is sort of a poor man's paperback philosopher, but his style is all distilled through assorted anecdotes, so he's generally a pretty enjoyable read.
Jec
I loved this book after reading the author's message to the readers. The book is written in chapters; each from the author's own experience and thoughts. I love that he was informal in writing; it seemed as if he wrote his own diary and made copies of it for everyone to read. This was his only book that I was able to read, but after this, I was very eager to read all of his other books.
  • At Wit's End
  • Kytice
  • Wry Martinis
  • Bearded Lady
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
  • On Earth As It Is In Heaven
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • Tracy's Tiger
19630
Robert Fulghum is an American author, primarily of short essays.

More about Robert Fulghum...
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Uh-oh - Some Observations From Both Sides Of The Refrigerator Door Maybe (Maybe Not): Second Thoughts from a Secret Life True Love All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Fifteenth Anniversary Edition Reconsidered, Revised, & Expanded With Twenty-Five New Essays

“Then he read the words of the scroll slowly, first in Japanese and then carefully translated into English:

'There is really nothing you must be.
And there is nothing you must do.
There is really nothing you must have.
And there is nothing you must know.
There is really nothing you must become.
However. It helps to understand
that fire burns, and when it rains,
the earth gets wet. . . .'

'Whatever, there are consequences. Nobody is exempt,' said the master.”
45 likes
“I often say that I don't worry about the meaning of life--I can't handle that big stuff. What concerns me is the meaning in life--day by day, hour by hour, while I'm doing whatever it is that I do. What counts is not what I do, but how I think about myself while I'm doing it.” 43 likes