Start by marking “The World According to Humphrey” as Want to Read:
The World According to Humphrey

The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  3,995 Ratings  ·  481 Reviews
The story of everyone's favorite classroom pet is now available in Spanish!
You can learn a lot about life by observing another species. That's what Humphrey was told when he was first brought to Room 26. And boy, is it true! In addition to his classroom escapades, each weekend this amazing hamster gets to sleep over with a different student, like Lower-Your-Voice-A.J. an
Published December 5th 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The World According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Macy Smestad Ms.Mac left because she wanted to see the world of Brazil

Shan
Mar 25, 2013 Shan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every young child
Shelves: children
My 5 year old nephew, in kindergarten, received this book through his elementary school (grades K-2) that is launching a new school program called One School, One book, where every family receives a copy of the same book and are recommended to read a chapter a day for the entire month. This book is a chapter book with no pictures and it was the first time reading a book like this to my nephew. I LOVED this book! Though, I'm not so sure if my nephew shares the same enthusiasm for this book as I d ...more
Michael Mccarthy
This is a great book. I really enjoyed reading it for a number of reasons. This book is written from the perspective of a hamster known as Humphrey who is a student in a class known as Room 26. Reading a book from a hamster’s perspective is unusual and I feel this would intrigue a pupil an interest and inspire the pupil to continue reading. At the same it is challenging for a reader to continually read from this perspective and would encourage a child to use their imagination in order to underst ...more
Irene
Aug 26, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids in Elementary School
Shelves: children
What a delightful read!

Humphrey is a kind, open-minded hamster who makes friends easily. He is fiercely loyal and quick to go out of his way to lend a helping hand - or paw, as Humphrey would say!

Through this first-person narrative from the perspective of a classroom pet, young readers will see that first impressions are not always accurate; that people are multifaceted, and you can't really understand a person until you see all aspects of his/her life; that sometimes, when people have problem
Brenda
Sep 17, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 7 to 11 who love animal stories
Shelves: fantasy
First in a series of six books by author Betty Birney, The World According to Humphrey is a very cute story told from the perspective of a hamster. I listened to the audiobook version of this with my son. Humphrey begins his story with Mrs. Mack and a classroom of children who love him. When Mrs. Mack picks him up at the pet store she tells him that he “can learn a lot about yourself by taking care of another species and you’ll teach those children a thing or two.” So when a substitute teacher M ...more
Cassidy
Sep 05, 2012 Cassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
144 pages
by Betty G. Birney

The World According to Humphrey is the first in the Humphrey series. Humphrey is the classroom hamster in Room 26, Mrs. Brisbane's room, at Longfellow School. He is a very smart hamster! He was brought to school by Mrs. Mac, a substitute for Mrs. Brisbane one day. ms. Mac gave him a tiny notebook and pencil before she left. Throughout the book, Humphrey helps different students in Mrs. Brisbane's class (like Speak-Up-Sayeh) when they take him home for the weekend.

I lov
Michaela C.
This book I can tell was written for younger ages but I still enjoyed it. I thought it was cute and I liked it! Humphrey is a hamster who is smart and helps people who he cares about. His pet owner (teacher) moves to a different school and leaves him there with a new teacher which Humphrey does not like. He has experiences with the students and a janitor. It was a good book and I would recommend it to younger kids. If you have a younger sibling or a cousin this would be a great book to read to t ...more
Kirstie Patch
Oct 17, 2016 Kirstie Patch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"....never turn your back on a dog....turn off your tv once in a while....kids have problems and so do teachers and principals. Sometime all people need is a little encouragement." What more could you hope to learn from a hamster? Would be a fun book to read with/to younger children and as it's the first in a series it could help promote an interest in reading. (Also seems likely to promote an interest in getting a pet hamster haha)
Nate
Dec 27, 2014 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obob-2015, 2014
The World According to Humphrey is a heart-warming tale that I only recommend to those who are prepared to seriously consider hamster ownership. Humphrey is the class pet of Room 26, and he is the most intelligent and handsome hamster around. The story begins with Humphrey in crisis; the current teacher in Room 26, who bought Humphrey and took him home every night, was actually a long-term sub for Mrs. Brisbane. Mrs. Brisbane is returning after a prolonged absence, and Ms. Mac (the sub), is now ...more
Dan
Feb 02, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out my Booklikes Blog, Dan Grover: Cover to Cover

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

This was the one district, one book selection my kids brought home from school to read together this year. I love this program, but usually the books they choose are either totally lame, completely boring, or both. (I'm looking at you, The Sixty-Eight Rooms!)

The World According to Humphrey was neither lame, nor boring! It was a blast to read out loud. My second grader hung on every word and got excited i
Jasmine
Sep 29, 2010 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The name of this book is "The World According to Humphrey." Humphrey is a hamster. There's no illustrator. The author is Betty G. Birney. The time is now. The place that they mostly talk about in the book is the classroom where Humphrey lives. Humphrey is the main character. He is like Ditto except that he has a different pattern on his fur. The teacher is Mrs. Brisbane, who wants to get rid of him. Humphrey is the main character.

For Thanksgiving, he goes to Mrs. Brisbane's house for the weekend
Kelly Rae
Sep 01, 2008 Kelly Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv-fiction
This a cute little story about Humphrey, a young hamster, who is bought by a teacher to help her children learn. Mrs. Mack always says the best way to learn about yourself is to learn about another species.

Humphrey loves Mrs. Mack and staying with her during evenings and weekends with her in her colorful home. He is full of dread when he learns that Mrs. Mack is leaving and is not taking him with him. Humphrey worries as he meets the real teacher who Mrs. Mack had been substituting for and worri
Caleb
Sep 01, 2010 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The World According to Humphrey a lot of exciting things happened. It all starts with woman named Miss Mack. She was a teacher, and she was walking towards a pet store. She decided to get a hamster, and he was named Humphrey. He had a great time with Miss Mack, and was the class room pet. One day Humphrey was told that Miss Mack had to leave. He was very disappointed with this news. The new teacher did not like Humphrey. He was taken home every weekend by one of the students. As the days wen ...more
H
Jul 08, 2011 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-bluestem
I was dreading reading this Bluestem nominee, but I was pleasantly surprised at the charm of the book. Yes, this story told from the point of view of a classroom hamster is sometimes cloyingly sweet, but the voice of Humphrey reminded me of my favorite fictionsl third grade girl (Clementine) and the story moves fast. I think children in the target for the book (3rd-5th) will really like the little hamster, and the lack of a defined grade will spread the book's appeal (we never find out what grad ...more
Taylor
Apr 21, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to know how a hamster see's the world that we live in today? Well in The World According to Humphrey that't just what you get to do! I really enjoyed reading this book because of its funny concept on learning how a hamster views our world and how he even learns how to be like us. In this book you read from the perspective of a hamster that was brought to a classroom by a boy, for the students to learn about the lives of other species. Each weekend Humphrey got to go to one o ...more
Destani Vanardalen
This book was about a hamster named Humphrey. Humphrey wanted someone to buy him while he lived in a pet shop. Then there was a teacher who bought Humphrey and kept him in her classroom (substite teacher). When the real teacher came back (Mrs. Brisbane) she didn't like Humphrey. So she thought of an idea which was every weekend one kid got to take him home. Mrs. Brisbane started liking Humphrey after a while.
Robert
Feb 10, 2009 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Humphrey the hamster lives in a primary school during the week and with the class teacher at weekends, until the teacher leaves and is replaced by a woman with no time for rodents....Many adventures ensue and the lives of many frequenters of Room 26 are changed for ever!
Funny, fast and fun! Learn what the most intelligent and best educated hamster in America can do when he is kept in a cage with a lock that doesn't lock.
Ashley Fuhr
Jan 28, 2016 Ashley Fuhr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect read for elementary students. I read this to a group of 3rd graders who fell in love with Humphrey's wit and will continue to read his other stories. I loved the interaction with many different characters in the class. This really helped my kiddos to relate the issues going on to themselves and those they know.
Sarah Beneke
Mar 29, 2015 Sarah Beneke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jake
What a great book and what a great series!! This is the 2nd Humphrey book that I've read with my kindergartener and we both love them! Humphrey helps the kids and adults to solve problems in their lives and he does it with such common sense and humor! We're looking forward to the 3rd book in the series.
Karen Arendt
A good story about a classroom from the perspective of the class pet, a hamster named Humphrey. Humphrey gets to see into the lives of several of his classmates, and even his teacher Mrs. Brisbane, through weekend visits. Humphrey is a special hamster, though, because he helps those he visits make positive changes in their lives. A fun read aloud.
Jill Manning
My 6 year old daughter and I just finished reading this book together and it was a perfect introduction to chapter books. She didn't mind that there were no pictures because the story was so fun for her. She wants to find the next book and keep going. It's been really fun to read together.
Elaine
Aug 19, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Super cute book, the kids loved it! Great message about looking beyond the surface and not judging people by first impressions. I love how different each student is, and how Humphrey learns about each different person and their struggles, and how he tries to help each one.
Shannon
Sep 26, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came highly recommended by one of our librarians. She was totally spot on. My son instantly fell in love with Humphrey. The writing is imaginative and the story-lines help teach empathy. We can't wait to read the next in the series.
Chad
Feb 27, 2013 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was the best i read in the series of Humphrey.Humphrey the hamster or class pet is very adventures and a risk-taker.He also has a friend frog to go on his adventures with him.read the book to see what crazy adventures they go on. the end.
Amy Payne
Oct 07, 2016 Amy Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amanda-carter
This was a very fun read with my 8 year old son! When we finished, he said "Get the 2nd book, then the 3rd, etc". I love how Humphrey helped the individuals in different ways.
Jamie Humphreys
May 09, 2016 Jamie Humphreys rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Cute stories and my students love them!
Katherine Matychak
Very sweet book.
Debra
Jan 05, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The book starts out a little slow... But ends up being a great little story! Most importantly: you can learn a lot about yourself by getting to know a different species.
Virginia
Sep 09, 2014 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
pretty cute and fun, but overly symplistic in resolving problems....
Molly
Jan 06, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it because it was on a hamsters side of view!
Apr 13, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
Humphrey is so cute!
  • All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Wild Girl
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • 14 Cows for America
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Extra Credit
  • Be Careful What You Sniff For (Magic Bone, #1)
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • Stick Dog (Stick Dog, #1)
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Malcolm at Midnight
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)

“You can learn a lot about yourself by getting to know another species. Even humans.” 1 likes
“JERK.” Mom” 0 likes