Seven Years of Highly Defective People (Dilbert, #10)

Seven Years of Highly Defective People (Dilbert #10)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  954 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Since its debut in 1989, Dilbert has become the comic strip sensation, attracting fans from all corridors of working life. As Dilbert's popularity has grown, so has curiosity about the man behind the drawing table. Seven Years Of Highly Defective People is filled with Scott Adams' handwritten notes - notes that answer provocative questions such as, Which characters became...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Comic Strip Collections
6th out of 182 books — 27 voters
Irrepressible You by Georgina PenneySomething Bad by Dab10Somewhere Upriver by Patrick LoafmanPrincess gives it away by Dab10Miscellaneous Stuff & Stuff by Jim Henry
Read for a laugh
131st out of 187 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
I gave this a fairly low rating, because I came away from this book underwhelmed (and probably a bit disappointed). I'm a fan (though by no means a devoted reader) of Dilbert comic strips, so I think I expected a bit more from this collection. From what I could tell, these were some of the earlier years of the comic strip, and while the moments of humor and keen insight into the absurdity of the modern workplace were there, they were kind of sporadic. Perhaps Dilbert has gotten better over the y...more
Bart Breen
Hilarious!

Dilbert is the signature comic of the cubicle generation. It never ceases to amaze me how an engineer who wrestles to keep his characters even looking consistent, because he is admittedly not a great artist, has managed to make so much of his strip. The reason, of course, is that he understands the climate and atmosphere of so many of us who walk the mazes of cubicles chasing the corporate cheese. He's captured the cynicism, the drollness and the other elements that help us cope with t...more
Bunny
Jul 28, 2009 Bunny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of comic strips in general
Shelves: read-in-09
I love Dilbert. Seriously. When I had a real office and a real desk, I would decorate my cubicle (snerk) with cartoon strips. Dilbert and Non Sequitor were the main attractions.

This book is not only fun because it has so many strips I've never read (read that: all of them), but also Scott Adams has written under or around almost all of them, leading to fun facts that you'd never know about his life, and Dilbert's life.

Just NIFTY.
Aaron
I love comic strip collections with author commentary. (See the similarly awesome The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book.) Scott Adams is a fun nerd with lots to say.
Krysia
Jul 20, 2008 Krysia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Krysia by: Mark, a fanboy
I like the ones with Liz best, e.g.:

Liz started dating other men. Two can play at that game.

I will use the power of the internet to find a hot babe. Ah! Here's one.

She wants your credit card number. Ooh! She's inquistive. I like that.
Larry Kenney
I'm only half way though this collection. However, I read probably what I think is the funniest comic strip I have ever read. I laughed insanely for almost 10 minutes. My wife timed me. Of course, I have the humor of a 7 year old.
Prayag
Well, it's Dilbert so it follows that it's funny, especially if you work in a software company as an Engineer; which is exactly what I do. The author's handwritten notes adds a bit of warmth to the book.I would recommend this to beginners and also seasoned Dilbert fans. Beginners because it is a good start, it introduces all the characters and has a taste of best bits by all of them. Old readers should read this because the Scott tells you what he was thinking when he drew some of the comics and...more
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

Another large collection made up from earlier smaller colletions but his one has note...more
Seb
I love the extra annotation and character history/synopses.
Trudy
Scott Adams' Seven Years of Highly Defective People includes a large selection of Dilbert Comic strips with hand-written commentary by Adams. There are also hilarious biographical sketches of all the characters of the strip providing a "tour of the origins and evolution of DILBERT's cast." Literally laugh-out-loud funny, although anyone who has ever worked in corporate America knows that Dilbert is not really a comic strip, but a documentary.
Saadiq
In this book, Scott Adams analyzes the characters he's created throughout the run of his comic strip career. As an avid Dilbert fan I found the book to be very representative of the actual strips, and the descriptions showcase a variety of personalities in a comical (no pun intended) fashion. I was pleased with the book, and I thought it was fairly funny, but it could have added more to help sustain the writing's gist.
Matt Mazenauer
Nov 19, 2009 Matt Mazenauer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dilbert fans, office drones, comic strip fans.
Recommended to Matt by: Airport bookstore
My favorite of the Dilbert books, because this one comes with creator's commentary scrawled beneath each strip. All sorts of Dilbert trivia and inside jokes and behind the scenes tidbits make for a doubly entertaining read. Also, it's split up into sections by character, so we can see a bit of the history of all the major characters.
Paul
Very good book for any Dilbert fan. It shows you the evolution of the characters, as well as giving some insight into some of the less obvious choices made and prevalent imagery in the comic strip. Plus, it's fun to simply pick up and read a few strips when you only have a few minutes to spare.
Susan
The softcover book has as many comic strips as most compilations but has the added attraction of Scott Adams' comments on the main characters and the public reaction to a number of his strips. perverse humor. Many cartoon engineers were mildly injured in the making of this book...
Ari
I have always been a fan. Adams is a genius. He has the unique ability to see a business situation and see how crazy and messed up it is. Now that I work in an office, these books have become my bible. Every word is true. With this book we can see where he gets his ideas from.
Duane
The thing I enjoyed about this Dilbert book most is that Scott Adams took the time to write his own thoughts about each strip. You get to hear the inside stories behind the strips, and he even admits when he didn't care for his past work. A nice read for any fan of Dilbert.
Nenangs
this one is like a biography of dilbert. :)

some of the jokes hit me dead on, some of them i can relate or see in daily life, but some others i just can't figure them out. it's probably due to culture gap, or i just haven't seen enough of life. :)
Brittany
I love Dilbert, so any Dilbert book is high on my list, but I particularly enjoy this edition because it includes commentary and explanations from author Scott Adams. In some cases, his commentary ended up being even funnier than the comic!
Will Sin
Sep 20, 2007 Will Sin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who are working at office
I thought those jokes inside this book are somewhat exaggerated and fantasied with certain amount of reality. In fact, all the things inside are true!true! damn true! I'm following my ways of working now as instructed by Dogbert.
Jessica
Histerical! Even though I have already read the comics in previous collected volumes, the artist comments by Scott Adams really sold this book. I never failed to laugh.
Susan
Makes me laugh! Enjoy finding out some of the inspiration(s) behind a few of the comic strips; and how some of the characters evolved/or came to be. I do love "nerds" .
Heather
Fun book to read while I'm recovering from surgery! I like the format of this collection, with sections about each of the characters, and commentary by Scott Adams.
Valerie
Enjoyed the author's commentary throughout this book, and getting insight into the history of the main characters in this strip.
Farah
Very funny book and it tells u what the author is thinking while writing the comic strips
Fernando Rossello
Entertaining. Depicts stereotypes that can be found in corporate/non-corporate offices.
Allons-y!
Needed the laughs. Adams' notes are a great addition to the comic strips.
Kyrie
Adams will make you laugh, if he doesn't make you cry first.
Mike
Sep 28, 2008 Mike rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Too close to reality in my professional life to truly enjoy.
Abukhalil Deya
erry
hasil kopdar GRI Balikpapan. sering2 aja :D
  • Wildly FoxTrot
  • Classics of Western Literature: Bloom County, 1986-1989
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Lions and Tigers and Crocs, Oh My!: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Book I

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada...more
More about Scott Adams...
Fugitive from the Cubicle Police (Dilbert, #8) The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions God's Debris: A Thought Experiment Always Postpone Meetings With Time-Wasting Morons (Dilbert, #1) The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century