Start by marking “Don't Touch That Toad and Other Strange Things Adults Tell You” as Want to Read:
Don't Touch That Toad and Other Strange Things Adults Tell You

Don't Touch That Toad and Other Strange Things Adults Tell You

True or false: ?Eating too much sugar will make you hyper.? How about, ?If you go outside with wet hair, you'll catch a cold.? Or, ?A mother bird will reject her babies if they have been touched by humans.? Each of these ?facts? that we've all heard before are actually false, and the real story behind each one is clearly told here in this intriguing and unique book. Poking ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Touch That Toad and Other Strange Things Adults Tell You

Nov 06, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
I shared this with a few groups of 5th graders and they were briefly engrossed. Works for me.
The Styling Librarian
Don’t Touch that Toad & Other Strange Things Adults Tell You by Catherine Rondina, illustrated by Kevin Sylvester – 3rd grade and up, 4th/5th will really love this too! Non-Fiction – Ok, this isn’t a picture book but it IS a friendly non-fiction book that reads so smoothly, is packed with fascinating facts, and is perfect for my students who only want to read fiction books but need to learn to enjoy non-fiction books as well that I couldn’t pass up sharing it today. This book is humorous, fa ...more
Deb Tyo
Jun 07, 2011 Deb Tyo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
"I'm sure you've heard a lot of weird things over time from your parents, your grandparents, or even your teachers. You'll probably find some of those sayings here within these pages. Some of the expressions will thrill you, some will make you think, others will just gross you out, but what you'll find really interesting is where and how these crazy expressions got started as well as how they've been passed along from generation to generation."

"Don't Touch That Toad & Other Strange Things Ad
Michele Knott
All those things you've been told growing up - don't swim after eating, running around like a chicken with its head cut off, don't go outside in the freezing cold with wet hair…. true statements or total lies? Read this book to find out! The authors give scientific evidence, when available to prove, or disprove some of these stories. And for the record, yes, a chicken can sometimes run around after its head has been cut off! Ewww...
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
my 7yr old loved this book. It was fun, interesting, full of fun facts dispelling myths we grew up with like the 3 sec rule when your food falls on teh floor, or sitting too close to the television ruining eyesight.
I would recommend this book as an interactive book for a 2-3rd grade and a parent.
A good informational book for kids about things that people say and if there is any scientific accuracy to the claim. My guess is that kids would probably find this more entertaining than I did.
Susan B
It was interesting to read and gain a better understanding for some of the strange things we adults sometimes say. Examples from the book include 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' (false), 'humans use only 10 percent of their brains' (false), 'an elephant never forgets' (true), and 'animals can predict natural disasters' (you decide).

One thing I didn't appreciate was the comment, "Maybe the best health advice is 'Don't listen to adults.'" Parents can have a hard enough time getting their k
Apr 08, 2016 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Turns out a few of those things my dad always told us aren't true after all. :0)
Sep 16, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
A collection of interesting "parentisms" ranging from "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" to "Groundhogs can predict spring". Each explanation includes a humorous illustration, the belief and the science either refuting or verifying the saying.

This quick read offers easily understood insight into many common sayings through research and scientific proof.

Recommended: 8-12 years

Subject/Theme: superstitions
Curriculum: Main Idea with supporting details
Awards: OLA Silver Birch Non-Fiction 2012
Dec 25, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Can you really get sick from going outside in the cold with wet hair? Do you have to wait an hour after eating to go swimming? Can you ruin your eyes by sitting too close to the TV?

This book attempts to either debunk or verify some of the common myths adults tell kids. A fun, quick read.
Jan 22, 2011 Duane rated it liked it
For kids who want to know the truth behind some of the most commonly heard "Paretisms", this is a great book. From not swimming right after eating to carrots being good for your eyes, this book covers quite a bit of interesting trivia. A nice resource book for your youth non fiction collection.
Karen Arendt
Aug 05, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Fun true/false explanations of many sayings parents tell their kids, such as the five second rule of food on the floor and animals can predict a storm. Would be fun to share one anecdote (they are very short) before class begins.
Aug 12, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
THe kids love this one of odds and ends facts and truths. If I forget a day, they kindly and loudly remind me to read a fact from this book. Easy way to get nonfiction into the classroom and peak interest in various topics.
Dec 19, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
i liked this book and i enjoyed the true or false information. and i liked how the author put other things in stead of just putting the true or false information, and make it on going.
Eileen Carter
Jan 19, 2016 Eileen Carter rated it liked it
Definitely a book that will make you smile. Definitely cleared up some old wives tales that I had once thought as truth.
Jan 07, 2013 Bernice rated it really liked it
Quick & interesting nonfiction book about famous parental sayings. Some of the statements that were true surprised me!
I can see using this on Friday the 13th or when students are talking about idioms and superstitions.
vampire lover
Apr 18, 2011 vampire lover rated it really liked it
Did you know you'll go def from listening to LOUD music, And you get worms from eating raw cookie Dow
Feb 07, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
this is abook for people who want to know theway things really are and why i did like the book.
A great nonfiction book for kids exploring the truth behind parents' common warnings.
Sep 28, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it
great little book full of factoids--might be fun to read with a class??
Bryan Devine
Nov 26, 2012 Bryan Devine rated it really liked it
This will be a fun non-fiction read aloud for my sixth graders.
Travis McIntyre
Travis McIntyre marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Jana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Julie Kirchner
Julie Kirchner rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Audra Miller
Audra Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Ashley Snow
Ashley Snow rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016