Start by marking “Rosemary Tree” as Want to Read:
Rosemary Tree

Rosemary Tree

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A rare book, may be 1st edition by publisher. A classic book,
Published December 1st 1956 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Rosemary Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosemary Tree

Judy
Apr 29, 2010 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who needs some uplifting and doesn't want medication for it.
Shelves: books-from-1956
Elizabeth Goudge is an author who can always raise me up from whatever slough of despond I get my self into. After reading the dark novels I love, I go to her to restore my balance and faith in mankind. She never lets me down. She wrote over twenty novels in her lifetime, most of which are now out of print though any library with a good fiction selection carries her books.

The Rosemary Tree is a story about people trying to deal with the greatly changed post WWII world. The central family is com
Mary Coons
I guess Elizabeth Goudge gets filed with "romance," just judging from her book covers (young men and women gazing moonily at each other)--but I think she's much more. I read anything I can find of hers, and I read them for solace, for insight, for the ministry that happens between me and God every time I read this author. Her insights are deep, and penetrating, and transcend the times of her novels.
That being said, she writes about England in the early middle of the twentieth century, and evokes
Julie
This one was slow to get my attention, and I almost gave up on it a few times. I'm glad I didn't. I particulary like this passage, as I had a Monday morning much like this one last week:

Mary O'Hara woke up on Monday morning in a shocking temper. Before she got her eyes open she knew she was in it. She also knew she had a slight headache... and then came the realization that it was raining, that it was Monday morning, that her hot water bottle had leaked in the night and that she hated everybody
Laurie
Just got my hands on this again, after reading it first from the library and then owning it and somehow loaning it out and never getting it back...

Goudge is one of my all-time favorite authors, and there are several of her books that I have read a half-dozen times or more (notably, "The Dean's Watch" and "Pilgrim's Inn"--aka "Herb of Grace"). This is one that has come to mind often in the past couple of years. Found a British first edition on Amazon, and I've been waiting to treat myself to this
Janet
Another great book by one of my all-time favorite authors. I love the way she weaves so many stories together for good, always offering the hope of love to redeem.

"I've never welcomed anything difficult or painful. I've always resented it and hit back. I can see now that to have welcomed the slings and arrows might have been to welcome love."
Heidi
I read this many years ago. It was a slow read, because there was a great deal of inward ruminating, and yet I couldn't put it out of my mind. The characters are so richly delineated and multi-layered, even when they're unsympathetic, that it really makes you think and consider, which is what all good books should do.
Karlyne Landrum
This is my favorite of E. Goudge's, and I never tire of re-reading it. I find it beautiful, wonderfully written, and inspiring. Her insights into children and animals are unlike anyone else's. And so are her insights into the human mind, heart and soul.
Pam P
I loved this book. I think just the atmosphere of an England that probably doesn't exist or never has. This and Pilgrims Inn and oh I can't really choose, I loved them all.
Ann
Love the way Elizabeth Goudge recognises the dignity, beauty and value of people despite their recognised failings.
Bridget Blanton
There is the 'self' that we project to the world and then there is the true 'self' that we often keep hidden, even from ourselves. In 'The Rosemary Tree', author Elizabeth Goudge once again shows her strength in portraying human nature. Goudge takes the reader into the heart of a family in the quiet beauty of the English countryside. Themes of growth, redemption and resurrection evolve naturally as each of the characters find their footing in difficult emotional terrain. As always, Goudge gentl ...more
Susan
Pure Goudge! While it was quite heavy on philosphical/theological soliloquies, and botanical descriptions, and somewhat short on plot for all its almost 400 pages, there were many moments of magic that reminded me--Oh, yes, now I remember who I am!

Elizabeth Goudge is one of my three three favorite authors. Still, in Rosemary Tree, her insistence on the redemption of characters sometimes frustrated me--and that reaction pulled me up short and gave me more than a few moments of my own philosophic
Melliott
This is not my favorite of her books--it's a little too mystical with its Christian symbolism--but I did get caught up in the story by the end. The children, in particular, were charming, and her word paintings of the English countryside make me want to live there. NOW.
Kelly
More excellence from Elizabeth Goudge. Sin, forgiveness, shame, redemption, evil ending in pitiful nothingness, a broken marriage restored... Good triumphs over evil.

One thing I love about this book (and Scent of Water did this, too) was that even though the end was predictable in the large scale -good wins- the details aren't entirely predictable. That's hard to do.

Books like this make me want to be a better person.
Lori
Another gem from Elizabeth Goudge. Michael Stone has recently been released from prison. He comes to a little English town, meeting the vicar, John Wentworth, on the bridge overlooking the river. They instantly like one another and form the beginnings of a friendship.
John's daughters attend a private day school where one teacher, Miss Giles, is mean-spirited and unkind, and the other, Mary O'Hara, is warm and loving. The owner of the school is selfish to the destruction of those around her. Daph
Valerie
Loved E Goudge as a teenager, but now as more than middle aged I found myself too impatient with the drawn out descriptions of scenery, characters' thoughts, their characters, etc. Kept thinking 'Just get on with it!'
Carolyn
I had forgotten the ending, so it was worth the re-read. The first time I read it it was in hardback; if it had been the paperback I probably would not have read it; the cheesy cover would have put me right off! A gentle, kind book from a gentler, kinder time.
Mimi
Even a mediocre Elizabeth Goudge book is still a good read, just not a fabulous one. Like others have said, it started out fairly slowly and lurched a bit to the ending, but a nice story.
Mary Robinson
This is a gentle, old-fashioned narrative of a group of people living in an English village early in the 1950s. The story follows them as they resolve individual and family problems. It has a slow pace and nice character development, and beautiful, poetic description of the countryside, the sea and nature.

Sue
A gentle, relaxing book revolving around a delightfully vague vicar and his wife. Excellent word pictures of each individual are drawn, with a clear understanding of temperament differences and high sensitivity. A bit long-winded and over-descriptive in places, but overall enjoyable.
Debbi
Another good book by Elizabeth Goudge, but I think I prefer the "Dean's Watch" a bit more. Goudge writes such wonderful characters and packs her books with such wonderful quotes. However, this time around I did begin to get weary of the book by last 80-100 pages.
Rosemary
Quite an interesting premise and some unusual characters, some of whom were well developed, but there was far too much description of scenery etc. Also the resolution was too glib to be satisfying. But overall, a nice story.
bookczuk
From my pre BookCrossing days. Gentle. Typical Goudge in telling. Was recommended by Hazrabai.
Pamela
I love all of the Elizabeth Goudge Books they elevate the spirit!
Lori
Wonderful, pleasant, redeeming, English country setting.
Claire Smith
Claire Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • Fresh from the Country
  • The Brandons
  • The House on the Cliff
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • They Shall See God (Moving Fiction)
  • Winter Cottage
  • Lady Rose and Mrs. Memmary
  • Christopher Marlowe: Poet & Spy
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • A Heart Divided
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
Elizabeth Goudge was an English author of romance novels, short stories and children's books.

Elizabeth de Beauchamp Goudge was born on 24 April 1900 in the cathedral city of Wells, she moved with her family to Ely when her father, a clergyman, was transferred there. When her father, Henry Leighton Goudge, was made Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford, the family left Ely and went to Christ Churc
More about Elizabeth Goudge...
The Little White Horse Linnets and Valerians Green Dolphin Street The Scent of Water Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)

“In a world where thrushes sing and willow trees are golden in the spring, boredom should have been included among the seven deadly sins.” 28 likes
“I mean, you may cause others a spot of bother by your weaknesses, perhaps, but coping with you may possibly increase their strength and sympathy. But if you sin deliberately, even if it seems only against yourself--well--you won't be the only one to suffer. You may even be the one who suffers least.” 1 likes