Start by marking “Poor Richard's Almanack” as Want to Read:
Poor Richard's Almanack

Poor Richard's Almanack

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Benjamin Franklin s classic book is full of timeless, thought-provoking insights that are as valuable today as they were over two centuries ago. With more than 700 pithy proverbs, Franklin lays out the rules everyone should live by and offers advice on such subjects as money, friendship, marriage, ethics, and human nature. They range from the famous 147 A penny saved is a...more
Published June 1st 1980 by Peter Pauper Press (first published December 28th 1732)

To ask other readers questions about Poor Richard's Almanack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Richard's Almanack

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Best Books That Have Shaped America
62nd out of 94 books — 41 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books you have read 7 times
239th out of 353 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Haspel
Peruse the bookshelves at the museum shop of the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, and you will no doubt see this edition of Poor Richard's Almanack. It is great fun reading 77 pages' worth of Benjamin Franklin's maxims for industry, thrift, humility, and cheerfulness -- maxims that can be said to have done much to form our collective sense of the American character. This Peter Pauper Press edition of Poor Richard's Almanack, with its old-style typeface (much like what one s...more
Mick Maxx
A literary glimpse into colonial times, this almanac created by Benjamin Franklin is a priceless treasure for Americans. Franklin, under the pen name of Richard Saunders, displays his outright moral aptitude, and the wisdom of one of the founders of this prosperous nation. Seeing that the almanac was the second most popular book in colonial homes (after, hhhhm, the Holy Bible), it is fitting that a master of economic gain such as Franklin would have created one. Franklin, you live on in the hear...more
Po Po
Pretty good. Filled with many of the classic aphorisms we've heard a million times (such as "early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise" and "three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.")

Franklin seems a little too preoccupied with gluttony (there are many warnings against eating too much) and sloth and drunkenness.

There are some questionable morsels of wisdom: "Love well, whip well." ???? And "Ne'er take a wife til thou hast a house (and a fire) to put her in." A...more
Samantha
Ive heard this book referenced a lot in history classes, ever since I was in elementary school. Im in college now and I got to read it....man am I not impressed. I thought it was supposed to be some great collection of advice for the colonial period. Its just a proverb collection! And many of them are repeated....which got on my nerves as I was reading it. Yeah it was a quick read but seriously? I feel disappointed that thats all it was. Just a bunch of quotes in a list. No commentary on them or...more
Banaticus
Jul 01, 2008 Banaticus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most everyone
Benjamin Franklin is able to put forth a comical series of almanacks, under a creative pseudonym for which a back history is created, all while engaging in a verbal battle with another almanack maker. A very small amount of his jokes are somewhat ribald, but nothing hardcore.
Danielle Porras
A bit outdated with quotes like "Marry your Son when you will, but your Daughter when you can" but still great relevance in some: "Whate'er's begun in anger ends in shame."
Summer Lane
There is NO better book of witticisms and wisdom than this one.
Totally tweetable, forever memorable.
I guess that's what you call timeless.
Wendy
My 1st 5-star book!
Lady Jane
How is it possible to write a review to a book with phrases that have become so much a part of our everyday language? Phrases such as "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise." Or "He that sows thorns should never go barefoot." And on and on!

I noticed many of the phrases had already been uttered by other authors. For example, "Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man" is very reminiscent of Francis Bacon's essay "Of Studies," in which...more
Bookworm Amir
Something that you can read anytime, everytime. A classic book for people to learn from his experiences, although I seem to notice that some of the advices are recurrent. He mainly talks about being frugal, living the 7 virtues, and other social commentaries that would make you a better person.

Its amazing that some of his proverbs are already 'cliched' in today's societies - and I was surprised to see his short comments on the weather, science, religions and other interesting short articles he h...more
Jason Phillips
It is a very very long book that never seems to end and oft repeats itself. There are many witty quips and brilliant advice if you can get through it. But who the hell is Richard Saunders?
Deanna

Reread:1/2014 love these snippets.

5/2012: I bought myself a copy while in Boston of this witty, yet still very profound "sage wisdom" that can still find application today.

For example,

Do not do that which you would not have known.

Sally laughs at everything you say. Why? Because she has fine teeth.

Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one.

Haste makes waste.

Sloth (like rust) consumes faster than labour wears: the used key is always bright.

Great talkers should be cropp'd, for they...more
Jim Leckband
Taymara Jagmohan
A book of adages!

Beautiful.

It was a short-read. Just what I needed during the days of hope.

He concluded the book with this line-

Let no pleasure tempt thee,
No profit allure thee,
No ambition corrupt thee,
No example sway thee,
No persuasion move thee,
To do anything which thou
Knowest to be evil;
So shalt thou always live jollily;
For a good conscience is a continual Christmas.
Adieu.

Very adequate.

Thank you Ben! May you always be happy. In generations to come!

Yours truly and ever blossoming,
Taymara.
Mike
May 29, 2009 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: humor, favorite
This is a book of proverbs written by Ben Franklin a very witty man. You may have heard of him, he was pretty instrumental in the American revolution:

Franklin did this and Franklin did that and Franklin did some other damn thing. Franklin smote the ground and out sprang George Washington, fully grown and on his horse. Franklin then electrified him with his miraculous lightning rod and the three of them- Franklin, Washington, and the horse- conducted the entire revolution by themselves.
John Adams...more
Sue
At first, the idea that these were written before the United States even existed as a country impressed me beyond anything else. Along with that the similarities of Poor Richard's advice (and franklin's letters containing advice at the end) to today's 'living simply' movement were striking. Minus some of the more complex turns of phrase, some of the essays/letters could have been on someone's blog.
I loved that the book I was reading was printed in the early 50's as well. It made everything more...more
Vincent Russo
Lots of very quotable snippets from Benjamin Franklin. These small nuggets of wisdom generally center around wealth, marriage, and frugality. Entertaining read, and many of these quotes are just as relevant as they were then as they are now. The content in between the small phrases isn't as useful, and my version at least had quite a few spelling errors (which were perhaps kept from the original?).
Margaret
Feb 20, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Stefanie Nagy, upon a trip to Philadelphia to visit!
Makes you really love what our forefathers stood for. Makes one reflect upon the current political state of America and realize there was much wit and wisdom in the ideology of our forefathers and look for it in our current political candidates! Good ole Ben was the man of his day! If history truly repeats itself, we should attempt to find him in our current political pool.
Nuno Picareta
" Ganhe o que puder e poupe o que ganhar" Ricardo Modesto
Tony
This was a fun book full of good sayings to think about and live by. My only issue with the book is that much of the language is dated, and so can be hard to understand.

This was a quick read, however, and a good place to find great quotes.
Gobnait
This book is full of proverbs. Some are relevant today and some are not so much. A few of them didn't even make any sense.

This book was printed on a creamy yellow card-stock, not regular paper. I thought that was interesting to note.
Ryan
The writing by Benjamin Franklin is great, but this book itself is bad. The printing on the pages are way off. This book was printed in China not America. I loved the writing but the book is bad. I recommend a different version.
Chris
Over six hundred proverbs and pieces of advice fill Franklin's almanac-- many, if not all of them still relevant today. A good reference for living a better life, this book should be a staple in everyone's home.
Tony Derricott
This is difficult to read start to finish because there are so many ponderisms with little to no flow. However, there are enough wise thoughts included that this is a book I want to own.
Soi
The book of wisdom.
Jeffrey
Read it in Junior year of High School, loved it and will always. This made me pick up every Franklin book I could find. A great man
Shannon
I remember reading this in high school. I loved the lesson on aphorisms. Simple, yet deep in meaning! Great read!
Denelle
A quick read, at times it made me laugh; at other times it made me thankful that I don't live in the late 1700s.
Kevin Duffy
"AMERICAN CULTURE" IN THE 1700S. Makes me proud and humble all at once. Looking forward to his autobiography
Kriton
This is a fun book to have laying around. Pick it up, read a few choice snippets of wisdom, and dwell on them.
  • George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (Little Books of Wisdom)
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • The Crisis
  • Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence
  • Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620-1647
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Economic Sophisms
  • Whatcha Gonna Do with That Duck?: And Other Provocations, 2006-2012
  • The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence
  • The Oxford History of the American People
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification : Part One, September 1787-February 1788 (Library of America #62)
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
  • The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy
  • The Birth of the Republic, 1763-89
  • Nature
  • Natural Right and History
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
  • Walden and Other Writings
Benjamin Franklin was a writer, a philosopher, a scientist, a politician, a patriot, a Founding Father, an inventor, and publisher. He helped with the founding of the United States of America and changed the world with his discoveries about electricity. His writings such as Poor Richards' Almanac have provided wisdom for 17 years to the colonies.
More about Benjamin Franklin...
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin The Autobiography and Other Writings The Way to Wealth Fart Proudly: Writings of Benjamin Franklin You Never Read in School A Benjamin Franklin Reader

“Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.” 3056 likes