Start by marking “1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die” as Want to Read:
1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die

1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 Before You Die)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This latest addition to the best-selling 1001 series offers more than ever— the world’s biggest and best playlist, referencing over 10,000 must-download songs. This book offers more than any previous book in the series. While each main entry profiles and illustrates 1,001 primary songs, it places that song into a contextual web of music history with references to other son ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Universe (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay SchneiderWIN THE HEART OF A WOMAN OF YOUR DREAMS by Sahara Sanders
A List of Lists
14th out of 247 books — 28 voters
Sigur Rós's by Ethan HaydenRecord Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. SmithHave Not Been the Same by Michael BarclayGoing into the City by Robert ChristgauMaster of Reality by John Darnielle
John's fave Music Books
21st out of 24 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Paul Bryant
You may skip this advert in 4 seconds.

"House insurance is often the last thing on your mind in this post-Christmas pre-Western world meltdown period ----" SSSSSKIPP!!!

Well, I youtubed my way through this vast and really quite beautiful volume more or less faithfully, it took many months, and here's how it shook down.

One star deducted for the first stupid section entitled "Pre-1950s" which is all of 24 pages long. Since probably about 50% of my "1001 songs you have to hear before you croak" list
Dr. Detroit
May 04, 2015 Dr. Detroit rated it really liked it
Would you settle for “326 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die and 675 Others You Can Do Without”? Yep, I actually went through this entire book and counted them so you don’t have to. You’re welcome. Don’t tell me to get a life. I already tried that.

I dunno… For me, things tail off pretty quickly here after about 1988 or so. I've long held the belief that a band is entirely worthless if they can't master the simple 4/4 beat of rock 'n' roll and there has been precious little of that since the 90’
MARTI
Mar 31, 2015 MARTI rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, music
Şarkıları dinleyerek okumaya başladım ama hayal ettiğim gibi eğlenceli, heyecan verici bir okuma olmadı. Bir iki şarkıdaki bilgi dışında da yeni bir şey öğrendiğimi söyleyemem. Şımarık'ın listede olması ise beni hem şaşırttı hem de mutlu etti.
Chrissy
Nov 09, 2011 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
The book was a great way to spend an afternoon with friends talking about the songs we love, hate, and were missing from the list. I have a great time every time I pick up the book with someone new :).
Blog on Books
Dec 07, 2010 Blog on Books rated it really liked it
All the Young Dudes,” “Rock Lobster,” “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and about 998 more. It’s been five years since Robert Dimery compiled the collection “1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die” and now with the music world returning to its roots as a singles based medium, it’s a perfect time for this series to surface the best songs of all time.

This completely subjective report (as Dimery gladly admits) is a veritable jukebox in book form. Spanning the decades from the pre-50’s to the 00’s, Dimery
Kathy McC
May 21, 2011 Kathy McC rated it really liked it
In all fairness, I did not read every page of this book. I read the three sections on the music eras that I enjoy most and am most familiar with. I also looked at the multiple page index of all 10,000 hits.
What a thoroughly researched resource. Awesome information about the top 1000 songs. While I do not necessarily agree with all of Dimery's choice's, he does a marvelous job of including all genres and also provides for the international music artists as well.
It is sure to generate much discuss
Jill
Feb 03, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting read, listing songs for each decade beginning from the 1920's. I especially enjoyed learning more about the earlier artists such as Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday and Mahalia Jackson. I had my iPad in one hand so I could listen along on iTunes as I flipped thru the pages.
David Roberts
Mar 18, 2013 David Roberts rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
As an audiophile I couldn't resist this book. So, I've listened to everyone of then, even made a play list. My verdict: about 500 are necessary to listen to before you die, 500 are not, and one may hasten your death. Read/listen to find out which one!
Jamie
May 18, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I loved it! Of course, being the music trivia enthusiast and lyrical vault that I am, that isn't surprising.
figsfromthistles
Mar 07, 2011 figsfromthistles rated it liked it
Good fodder. I didn't care so much after the 1950s, but there was lots to listen to up to then.
Stephanie Mohler
Mar 02, 2012 Stephanie Mohler rated it liked it
Fun read
Juanita Valentina Perezoso
May 23, 2016 Juanita Valentina Perezoso rated it did not like it
I was thoroughly shocked and beanboozled this book did NOT include Mars Volta's "Cassandra Gemini"!!! How do you even want to be taken seriously, author?! 0/10
Michael
Jun 06, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Full of little known facts and rock and roll trivia. I lost interest toward the end much as I've lost interest in popular music since 1990. No fault of the authors'.
Sue
Sep 16, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
This book is huge, and I feel a little bit guilty marking it as "read", since there is no chance that I'm going to read the whole book. Truthfully...I read the 80s on. And skipped some songs that I wasn't interested in. I knew a fair number of them, and really enjoyed reading some of the back story about them. Unlike 1000 songs to change your life, I marked every other page of this book to either listen to a song that I wanted to hear for the first time, or to savour one that I had loved in the ...more
Cami
Jan 28, 2013 Cami rated it liked it
Shelves: essay
Really great bites of information on some great songs. (My apologies to any and all who were buried in a deluge of musical information after I wrapped up my reading/scanning of this book)

I could own this book.

If the writers are to be believed, it is not pop that endures, but the alternative music, the 'B-sides', the obscure brought to light.

There is also a crazy-thorough list of about 10,000 songs so worth listening to. I always love to see my tastes validated.

Music! Music! Music! Music! Music!
Ashley
Dec 06, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
I made it, I finished the whole book. Got some great songs to download but didn't make it through everything because most of the songs are really obscure and... not really songs I feel the need to listen to before I die. Made the sixties and seventies seem... awful...
But! On the upside, I redownloaded some old favorites. :)
Alyson
Jul 05, 2012 Alyson rated it did not like it
Shelves: craptastic
Seriously lacking beyond the scope of American music - only the most obvious foreign choices are present, and even some of these are questionable. Where are the Canadian artists - and where is the country music??? This was mostly just subjective crap - either you agree with the choices, or you vehemently disagree.
Kirsten Pedersen
May 12, 2013 Kirsten Pedersen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Music nerds
It's a list book- so pretty much straight forward opinions about 1001 Songs by various music nerds/critics. It's not ground breaking in it's format, but I appreciate it's attempt to break out of the English language music trap most lists adhere to and introduce different styles and countries into the mix.
Miguel R. Luaces
Apr 21, 2015 Miguel R. Luaces rated it it was ok
La lista no está mal. La descripción de cada canción es pobre y aburrida. Siempre sigue el mismo esquema: quien la compuso, quien la canta, a que suena, y cómo lo hizo en las listas. Pero no hay profundidad: ni crítica ni análisis de por qué la canción es una de las elegidas.
John Siden
Oct 15, 2012 John Siden rated it it was amazing
This book just made me go on a search for what I hadn't heard and compile playlists of the songs in here that I had.I have come back to this book for reference many times.
Jax Goss
Oct 28, 2013 Jax Goss rated it it was amazing
Finally worked my way through this one. It was good fun, and rather informative. :)
Patrick Matte
Mar 13, 2014 Patrick Matte rated it liked it
Un voyage musical intéressant, surtout si on le fait en écoutant les chansons.
Joseph
Jul 08, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Not surprisingly, some really bizarre choices.
The
Feb 02, 2013 The rated it liked it
decent recommendations and commentary.
John Parrish
John Parrish is currently reading it
Summer LeBel
Summer LeBel marked it as to-read
Rocio Molina
Rocio Molina marked it as to-read
Solomiia Kuzmovych
Solomiia Kuzmovych marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Tom Fleck
Tom Fleck rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die
  • 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Heart Of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made
  • A Year of Adventures: A Guide to What, Where and When to Do It
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • Joy Division: Piece by Piece
  • Off the Beaten Path

1001 Before You Die (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Battles That Changed the Course of World History
  • 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die
  • 1001 Bicycles to Dream of Riding
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • 1001 Cars to Dream of Driving Before You Die
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • 1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die (1001 before you die)
  • 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die: The Ultimate Guide to Comic Books, Graphic Novels, and Manga