Start by marking “Klonk” as Want to Read:
Klonk

Terry Pratchett

Klonk (Discworld #34)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  39,516 ratings  ·  981 reviews
Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarfs, or the dwarfs ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.

But if he doesn't solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see it fought again, right outside his office.

With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unrav
Audio CD
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Klonk, please sign up.

Petr I dont think so, there are some puns from other books but nothing that would spoil it for you. I am reading the series - Witches + Tiffany Aching and…moreI dont think so, there are some puns from other books but nothing that would spoil it for you. I am reading the series - Witches + Tiffany Aching and right now I am finishing the Watch series. Just follow the order in the sub series of Discworld, no need to follow the order of the whole Discworld, in my opinion.(less)

Nataliya
"What kind of creature defines itself by hatred?"
That is the overarching theme of Terry Pratchett's Thud! which is indisputably one of his best works - in content and execution and the amount of serious thinking it makes me do after seeing the usual 'mundane' things through the prism of Pratchett's writing.

Like other Pratchett's later works, this book is a departure from the light-hearted humorous comedic tone of earlier Discworld books which initially were just smart and witty parodies of fan
Grace
Samuel Vimes, to me, is the most fascinating character in the discworld series - to watch his growth from a disillusioned drunkard in Guards! Guards! up till the current book - fatherhood! I enjoyed it tremendously. I also enjoyed the idea of having the next generation - with young Sam and Tiffany Aching, and trying to imagine little half-werewolf-half-human-brought-up-as-half-dwarf babies... i truly want to get a peek into the future and see what lies in store for the discworld and ankh-morpork ...more
Kirsten
One of the review quotes on the back of this book says something like, "Terry Pratchett's books are almost always better than they need to be." I think this is a pretty good assessment. If Pratchett's books were nothing more than humorous fluff, I would probably still read and enjoy them, but the added depth of character that he brings to his novels is what keeps me reading them over and over again.

In this enstallment, we find Sam Vimes trying to once again bring a semblance of peace to the chao
Richard
8/10

Another sterling effort by Sir Pratchett and a solid entry into the Watch sub-series. I feel like I’m being a bit like a broken record when reviewing these books; they’re all well written, filled with humour (some more than others), great characters and overall a great character development arc (again, some more than others. Has Nobby really changed since the first novel, not really). But the repetition doesn’t impact the overall enjoyment, I’ve found this series filled with great moments th
Chris Gottlieb
Sometimes you gotta shut up and pay attention: Sorry, but when you've entertained, amused and jollied up an entire worldful of sapient entities, you *have* to be allowed every now and then to get a bit serious.

Depends on what makes you laugh, I suppose, but this is not *meant* to be a funny book. Pratchett is doing really serious, relevant and overtly political stuff here. The "funny bits" are no more than the comic relief in the best Shakespearean tradition.

Parallels are everywhere here. You
Kathleen
4.5 stars. Great addition to the Discworld "City Watch" sub-series (books listed in order below). THUD features Commander Sam Vimes, Corporal Carrot, and the whole City Watch -- humans, trolls, werewolves, dwarfs, etc.

Happy to say, the story includes several vivid and heartwarming scenes with Sam's wife Sybil, their one-year-old son Sam, and their resourceful butler, Willikins. Throughout this book there's a theme of promise-keeping. Daddy (Commander Sam Vimes) never breaks his word to his chil
Kaethe
November 17, 2005

"Is that my cow?" I particularly like the side of Vimes who is such a good parent that regardless of what else he must contend with, he makes it a point to be there to read the bedtime book. I'm only sorry my Offspring are too old for the cow book.

Lightreads
Most recent Watch novel. My very favorite Discworld arc, so I've doled them out carefully to myself over the past few years. This one lives up and then some. Sam Vimes and his men coppers face civil unrest as racial tensions flare between the dwarves and the trolls. Meanwhile a mysterious museum theft may have surprising consequences, there's been a murder, and Vimes must get home by six to read "Where's My Cow?" to his son.

It's a Watch novel – either you know why it's awesome and you're already
Angela Blount

“Shoes, men, coffins; never accept the first one you see.”

This is my first true experience with Terry Pratchet, and I’m left with the impression that he is (and was) to the fantasy genre what Douglas Adams was to sci-fi. That is to say… expansively clever, decidedly British, and not prone to taking himself too seriously. The man was a brilliant writer and masterful storyteller—of that I’m convinced. The following review will reflect this particular Discworld book only…

Samuel Vimes, the no-nons
Fiona
Oh, he's good. He's very good. Sam Vimes and the City Watch is the only Discworld arc that I don't think I've ever tired of two thirds of the way through a book, and I'm so glad I picked this one up. It's a very well-crafted whodunnit, with a rich and complicated backdrop and a well-rounded and thoroughly interesting cast. The pace is spot on. The parallels to the real world, and the Serious Issues, while undeniably serious and difficult, are not particularly in-your-face or preachey. Well, may ...more
Carrie
I will try to refrain from asking you all, yet again, why you are not yet reading Terry Pratchett (if indeed, you are not). Whoops, too late. Thud is a Discworld novel, focusing, as most of the more recent books have, on Sam Vimes, the Commander of the Watch in the city of Ankh-Morph, and the troubles that ensue when the ethnic tensions arise between the local Trolls and Dwarfs, who had been generally in peace, despite traditions of enmity between the two groups. Basically, a group of fundamenta ...more
R
Jan 01, 2012 R rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single person on the planet
Well, here's a no-brainer. A fantasy book with a grumpy and unwillingly badass policeman? A comedy with underlying important race issues? Yes please.

Thud! was the first Pratchett that I read, and the first book I ever had which actually fitted in my handbag of the time (I've now got a decent book-sized one). As such, the gold is almost gone from the cover, the pages are falling out, and the covers themselves are battered beyond saving. I must have read this book at least 25 times, if not more.
Wombok
Another fantastic Discworld novel. I feel like these books just keep getting better and better. I reread the early ones and compare them with these later ones and am amazed at how much the writing and style and depth has increased while the humour is still constant throughout. This story was focused on Samuel Vimes and the conflict between the Dwarves and Trolls. As always, the events in the Discworld parody our own world both politically and personally.
Hannah
Sniff...sniff...

Now I know why Anne Elisabeth Stengl says this author has the power to make you cry and laugh within sentences. The storyline with Sam and little Sam...wow...just wow....
Peter
THUD
Terry Pratchet
Doubleday ISBN 0385 608675

Another excellent book in the Discworld series from Terry Pratchet, and another one without chapters. The dwarves and the Trolls have never been friends, rather they have been enemies. Now there are so many of them in the city that trouble is about to occur in Ankh-Morpork. The ONLY one who can sort it out is Commander Vimes of the city Watch (police). This is more that just a war story (well not a war story at all really), it has some good characteris
Sarai
I listened to this as a book on CD. I had never read any other Terry Pratchett books but was familiar with the name because I have shelved quite a few. I was at a branch waiting to observe a YA program and got there a bit early so I was browsing the shelves looking for something to listen to in my car and came across this one.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

There was no sense of having missed anything from having not read the other books in the Discworld series; this was really a stand-alone book. The
Althea Ann
I believe that this is my favorite Discworld novel that I've read so far! (And I've read quite a few of them.)
This one transcends the one-note satire that many of the Discworld books feature (each one takes on a certain topic - this one has a theme of racial tolerance). This installment of the series also pokes gentle fun at the mystery genre - but, while doing so, is itself a quite good mystery novel!
It actually kicks the crap out of any of the glut of 'paranormal investigation' novels that hav
Autumn
definitely one of my favorite terry pratchett books, especially in the city watch series. this one is beautifully crafted and creates a path that a reader must follow all the way to the end in order to resolve. sam vines himself proves once again to be "as straight as an arrow", and yet is full of criminal character flaws, which makes him one of the best developed characters that i have ever read.

as for the whole koom valley business, i love the way mr. pratchett has created this world that is
Margaret
Thud! is part of the Watch subseries, easily my favorites of the Discworld books. Here, Ankh-Morpork is threatened by increasing hostility between the trolls and the dwarves on the eve of the anniversary of the battle of Koom Valley, and Vimes and the rest of the Watch must defuse the tension by solving the mysterious murder of one of the dwarf leaders. I don't think this is my favorite of the Watch novels, but it's as amusing as always, and Pratchett provides interesting sidelights on the chara ...more
Mariella
My absolute favourite Discworld novel. Yes, it's hard to choose favourites (though everyone seems to ignore this rule where Hogsfather is concerned), but the dynamic of the City Watch is at its most interesting here. Not to mention the scene of The Watchman vs. The Summoning Dark has for me the same kind of thrill as a classic movie reveal...that feeling of an immense payoff where you just want to pump your fist in the air and at the same time feel that nothing can ever be quite that bada** agai ...more
Susan Lowes
A very clever piece of storytelling. Every piece of one of Pratchett's Discworld books reinforces the world he's created. He gives you set ideas of that world and then he challenges them. He's writing a social commentary on the way he sees our world, but he's doing it within his world. He's a very clever writer indeed. My reviews are becoming the same, I loved Thud - brilliant once again!
Jeff
Oct 29, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes British humor
Commander Vimes and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch try to keep the peace between dwarves and trolls after a dwarf is murdered. A famous painting is stolen (parody of The Da Vinci Code). A vampire joins the City Watch, causing a bit of tension between her and an officer who is a werewolf. Just the usual sort of madness that the folks of Discworld deal with regularly!
Nicolas
Il est fort, ce bougre de Pratchett. A chaque fois qu'on s'attend à quelque chose, on découvre ... autre chose.
Par exemple, je savais, aussi bien d'après son titre français que d'après son titre original, que ce roman parlerait du fameux jeu de Thud. Je ne m'attendais en revanche pas à un roman mettant Vimaire à la place d'un prix Nobel de la paix (le pire qui ait jamais existé, mais aussi le meilleur).
En effet, ce roman met en scène une enquête du Guet d'Ankh-Morpokh sur la mort suspecte de que
Kristin Intile
i got a little more than half way through and it just didn't seem worth my time. i don't get a whole lot of time to read with a crazy little toddler running around making trouble so i am very picky these days with what i will spend my reading time on and this just didn't make the cut.
Johan Haneveld
In a past review on Goodreads I made the connection between Terry Pratchett and G.K. Chesterton, both being apostles of the common sense. This is also true of this book, and if there was ever any literary character who could be described as the emissary of common sense it's Vimes. Not the common sense as in 'lowest common denominator', but as in what's wise, and what has always been known throughout the generations. This groundedness in humanity is what keeps Vimes on his feet, even when his fam ...more
If I was casting the Discworld movies, I’d be damn tempted to cast Sam Jackson as Samuel Vimes. The truth is . . .

Lord Vetinari has a problem. How do you build a functioning society out of people who come from tribes that don’t much like each other and have a rich history of graphically taking advantage of each other? Everyone’s got a point, but if they press their points, the city shuts down. A divisive religious leader has been killed in the darkness. Blood could run in the city streets if ju
Chibineko
While I run the risk of sounding like a completely rabid fan of the Discworld series, I do think that it's near impossible for Pratchett to put out a Discworld novel that isn't entertaining in one aspect or another. (Please don't prove me wrong, Terry!)

This particular novel follows Vimes & the Watch as things start heating up around the city. Kooms Valley Day, the day that the trolls & dwarves supposedly had a big war (nobody survived, so nobody knows for sure all of what happened) is ra
Beth A.
Reread Dec 16, 2012

“Would a minute have mattered? No, probably not, although his young son appeared to have a very accurate internal clock. Possibly even 2 minutes would be okay. Three minutes, even. You could go to five minutes, perhaps. But that was just it. If you could go for five minutes, then you'd go to ten, then half an hour, a couple of hours...and not see your son all evening. So that was that. Six o'clock, prompt. Every day. Read to young Sam. No excuses. He'd promised himself that. N
Gareth Otton
Of all Terry Pratchett's work the City Watch books are my favourites. With a host of lovable characters and story lines that push the plot forward at a fast and enjoyable pace these books are really a pleasure to read.

Unfortunately this book and its predecessor have taken a step away from what made the series brilliant in the first place and that is a sad thing. Where before the strength of the series rested on the shoulders of the city watch as a whole, an ever increasing focus in each book fa
Lachlan Smith
The 34th outing in the Discworld series, Thud, is one of Terry Pratchett's finest achievements, for the most part. It's tone is quite different from the other Discworld novels I have read, in that it's theme is far more serious than it's predecessors. It deals with the theme of racial intolerance, in a not-very-thinly-veiled way.
It centres on Sam Vimes, the leader of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, who finds himself in a very tricky situation when Koom Valley Day approaches. Koom Valley Day is the
2015 Reading Chal...: Thud! by Terry Pratchett 1 9 Apr 09, 2015 09:13AM
Dwarf vs. Troll 12 112 Oct 07, 2013 01:43AM
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Terry Pratchett
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Legends
  • The Dark Lord of Derkholm
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self.” 343 likes
“Why bother with a cunning plan when a simple one will do?” 109 likes