Start by marking “My Visit to the Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
My Visit to the Dinosaurs

My Visit to the Dinosaurs (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

Dinosaurs are extinct now, but you can visit dinosaur skeletons in a museum. There you will meet Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Diplodocus and learn how they ruled the earth millions of years ago. You'll dinosaurs with over 1,000 teeth, dinosaurs who could swim, meat-eaters and plant-eaters. And of course, you'll meet the king of all dinosaurs, the gigantic Tyrannosaurus ...more
Published October 29th 1985 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about My Visit to the Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Visit to the Dinosaurs

Kathryn
My nostalgic side would give this book four stars since it appeared on one of my favorite episodes of Reading Rainbow when I was a kid (I think the story they read in its entirety was Digging Up Dinosaurs and then they used the illustrations in this book and slightly modified the text for another segment). Reading it now, I would have to go with three stars. Although originally written in the late 1960s (and my copy was revised in the early '80s), I think the information is basic enough that it ...more
Bruce M
Oct 20, 2014 Bruce M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of very old kids books.
It always amazes me how sometimes you can find old kids books in good condition. The copy of this book I found at Salvation Army today is from '69. A 45 year old kids book, still in great shape. It absolutely astounds me.

This particular book teaches very young kids about fossils, certain types of dinosaurs, and how they are/were believed to have looked and acted. I remember reading a lot of books like this when I was a kid. I lived and breathed Dinosaurs, He-Man, and Construx for the better part
Lisa Vegan
Well, I’m sure it’s factual as of 1969 when it was published and 1985 when this edition came out, though so much has been learned about dinosaurs since then, so I had to wonder if there is updated information. I suspect there are better and more accurate books that cover the same subject matter.

Children who are fascinated by dinosaurs should enjoy this book. The information about different types of dinosaurs was presented in an interesting manner. A boy goes with his father and younger sister to
Tracy Poff
What were the dinosaurs like? What did they eat? How do we know about them?

In My Visit to the Dinosaurs by Aliki, a Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science Book, children can learn about the different kinds of dinosaurs, with information both about the dinosaurs themselves, and how we come to know about them, through fossils.

This one is good, but I don't like it as well as the other two books in this series that I've reviewed, Ducks Don't Get Wet and What Makes Day and Night . The illustrations are n
Amy "the book-bat"
This was a nice introduction to dinosaurs. The book felt a bit dated to me, but I found out that it was written in 1969, which makes it older than I am. I think some of the dinosaur names may have changed over time. All in all, I thought it was a decent story.
Amie
Jun 29, 2016 Amie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was simple and informative. I would've liked it more if it contained the advertised activity.
Cheyenne
This book gave information about different dinosaurs.
Sri
Buku pilihan ibu yang diiyakan Damar untuk dibeli di BBC Baltos. Dinosaurus lagi dinosaurus lagi :D. Damar memang masih suka sama buku-buku dinosaurus padahal informasi yang dia dapat masih sama. Kelebihan buku ini pada ilustrasinya yang berkesan imut. Tidak ada cerita panjang mengenai kehidupan para dinosaurus. Hanya ada deskripsi singkat mengenai beberapa jenis yang populer misalnya brachiosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops, allosaurus, dan diakhiri dengan si raja dinosaurus, T-rex.
Brigid Keely
Oct 16, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, 2013, dinosaurs
"My Visit to the Dinosaurs," by Aliki, is a story about a boy going to a museum with his father and younger sister to see dinosaurs. Within the framework of the story is a lot of information about dinosaurs that was considered factual some 30-60 years ago, but now is out dated and wrong. For instance, sauropods did not live in water, and dinosaurs did not drag their tails behind them. There's better, more current books available for young readers interested in dinosaurs.
Brandielle
This book is a lesson in scientific knowledge changing as we receive new evidence. Still it was annoying to read so many dinosaur 'facts' that are not true.
Jonathan
While the pictures in this book are nice, it reads more like a dinosaur identification guide than a story. This would be fine except that there are much better dinosaur identification guides, such as those by Dorling Kindersley. These have actual photographic and photorealistic renderings of dinosaurs, and what a better way to learn identification? A pronunciation guide is also a nice touch that this book lacks.
Peacegal
This is a dinosaur book I remember from my childhood. Today, I can see how much is outdated--the illustrations are rather rough and unpolished, and dinosaurs are shown in the old "dragging-tail" posture. Still, this would be an acceptable reading choice for a field trip to the museum.
Jen
Mar 04, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to own this book as a kid and as soon as I saw it when I was shelf reading in the library I had to read it and it brought back some memories, it was kind of nice.

Then I realized books like this are probably why I'm so into dinosaurs.
Brenda
Jul 13, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It really reminded me of my trip to the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum with my son. I think the author did a nice job of defining terms and illustrations were done quite well. It certainly captures the excitement of going to the museum.
Kristina Arnold
This is another great informational book for introducing dinosaurs in a lesson or maybe even ending a unit. It describes a lot of different dinosaurs in the book.
Latifah Williams
This is a great story for your dinosaur lovers. It goes over some of the history of dinosaur lives through a child's perspective who is visiting a museum.
Heather
47 months - Not necessarily the best book on dinosaurs and it's likely out of date but still an ok read for any kid interested in the creatures.
Alana Arlequin
This would be a book that you could use to integrate science and literature for early grades. It tells you all about dinosaurs!
Ian 2+2=7 ;D
Sep 25, 2010 Ian 2+2=7 ;D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book when i was a kid!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Linda Lou macon
Linda Lou macon rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Hauser
Hauser marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Vihaan Jain
Vihaan Jain rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Savannah
Savannah rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What Makes Day and Night
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Big Tracks, Little Tracks: Following Animal Prints
  • Our Solar System
  • Clouds
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • The Mountains of Tibet
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.
More about Aliki...

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars