Start by marking “The Icky Bug Alphabet Book (Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Icky Bug Alphabet ...

Jerry Pallotta

The Icky Bug Alphabet Book (Icky Bug Books)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Introduces the characteristics and activities of insects and other crawly creatures from A to Z, beginning with the ant and concluding with the zebra butterfly.
Published September 1st 1989 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Icky Bug Alphabet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icky Bug Alphabet Book

Julia Brumfield
I remember when I first came upon this author and it was since of my elementary school. We had an assembly where the author was invited and ever since he told me there was a Julia butterfly I have been hooked with him.

The book writing is simple, large letters and easy for any child to read, especially with very young beginners. Furthermore each letter is covered even if the author has to be creative such as in this case where he uses Cotton Stainer for the X on the back of its carapace.

The ot
Brittany Collver
Students can enjoy this book because it has a lot of very colorful (and large) pictures of insects with information about some kind of insect on each page. It follows the alphabet so there are definitely a lot of things for the student to get out of this book. I would encourage my middle readers to go through this book because while there isn’t a lot of print on each page, the vocabulary is a little specific which may make it difficult for lower readers to decode and comprehend all of the new wo ...more
Suzanne
Jerry Pallota made learning letters and numbers fun again. This was the first of his many books we have bought over the years. For icky bug lovers...
Yusra Faridi
This book introduces readers to 'icky' bugs that start with each letter of the alphabet, for example C for cricket and L for ladybug. The bug touches on a few basic details about each bug but does not go too in depth about the individual insects; this is why I think the book is perfect for a younger audience. The illustrations are also eye catching and very engaging (again, another reason why I would recommend it for lower elementary age students). The book can help teach or review the alphabets ...more
Gemma Treacy
While I think this book is a good educational book for children, my star rating merely reflects my own personal interests and feelings towards the book as an adult. I have just finished reading the book with my 2 and half year old niece, she was fascinated by it. The book teaches children about different insects and bugs, using each letter of the alphabet. It would fantastic to use in a Foundation Stage Science lesson, as it can be used to discuss what an insect is and possible habitats for the ...more
Heather
First of all I have to say that I didn't think the bugs were "icky" enough. For example, cricket is the bug for C. What happened to the super disgusting cockroach? How about lice instead of Ladybird Beetle? Or maggots? We did enjoy all of the bugs listed, but still I sort of wanted a higher gross factor!

As with all of Pallotta's books the illustrations are fantastic. We learned a little bit about each bug, insect, spider, etc. This is not an in-depth book by any means, but you could use it as a
Sandra Strange
These collaborators offer a series of alphabet books starring various animals, bugs, fish, etc. I got them for my grandkids, who like the books, depending on their interests. The bug one, which I kept, gives informative little texts for each alphabetical bug. The illustrations are large, clear, colorful and attractive.
Jackie
An alphabet book exclusively for insect...icky or not, The Icky Bug Alphabet Book also contains some facts about each insect.
Nancy
A colorful ABC book using insects to illustrate the 26 letters of the alphabet. I like the disclaimer in the back which states: "Although the general public considers every creature in this book a bug, in fact, only the Yellow Plant Bug and the Cotton Stainer are true bugs. The Orb Weaver, Water Spider and Tarantula are spiders. The Velvet Mite and the Scorpion are arachnids. The rest, including the true bugs, are insects." Amazing, what we can learn from children's books!
Julie
Apr 21, 2009 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms with small children
Recommended to Julie by: Ali
This is a really fun alphabet book about bugs. My son received this as a gift from his favorite Aunt Ali. He loves it and so does my daughter. It has become the "bedtime book" here recently. I have learned some names of bugs I didn't know and I just knew that people who were talking about "no seeums" were out of their mind and "seeing things"! Come to find out, it's really an insect!! Very fun, educational book!
Dolly
Jan 12, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A nicely illustrated alphabet book featuring insects, arachnids and other bugs. Our girls didn't like that it was titled "Icky," though. They love bugs and felt they were being maligned. As I was reading this, I thought that it was similar to the Beetle Alphabet book, duh!, not realizing that it was by the same author. I preferred the beetle book, perhaps because it's a more refined, polished effort.
Asho
I actually learned a lot about bugs--or should I say insects?--from reading this book. I also enjoy how the author and illustrator poke fun at themselves. For example, U is for Unfinished Picture and shows a half-painted illustration, and they admit that they couldn't find a bug that started with X. This will be a fun way to teach my baby boy about the alphabet.
Aleece
This book has a different bug for each letter of the alphabet. It also gives some brief information about each of the bugs. This would be a great book for kids that are interested in bugs or if they are learning their alphabet. I thought that the illustrations do not actually portray the bugs as being “icky.”
Autumn Yoon
This book is great for young learners in Pre-Kindergarten up to 1st Grade. The book goes through all 26 letters of the alphabet, using different insects to represent each letter. The illustrations are very captivating, and would grasp the attention of a young learner very easily!
Sara
My 3 year old and I absolutely love this book. It is creative and smart. A reader can simplify it for a younger child and then read it more fully for an older child. I learned a ton about bugs and we now use it almost as an encyclopedia to reference bugs in other books.
David
Found this one at a used bookstore. It is great and I kind of hope when my daughter is a bit older it helps her develop a love of nature. A good book to help kids learn the alphabet and learn about bugs!
Paula

Introduces the characteristics and activities of insects and other crawly creatures from A to Z, beginning with the ant and concluding with the zebra butterfly (only 2 copies in the system 12/2011)
Joanna
This is geared toward an older child -preschool or even kindergarten. However, my 1 year old still loved the pictures and even sat thru most of the letters.
Anna
I had this book as a child - naturally, because my father is a entomology - and I loved it. I will always remember the X bug :)
Theresa
List of bugs by alphabetical order, but tells information about the bugs, and opens childrens minds to the insect world
Mckinley
A lot of detail for an ABC book. Learn about bugs more than about letters.
Jamie
A fun book, especially for boys. Not too icky. :)
Marian
My sons loved this book, and still love bugs.
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • A Call for a New Alphabet
  • ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book
  • The ABC Bunny
  • Piggins
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • Old Black Fly
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to ...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...
Apple Fractions Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? Hershey's Fractions The Construction Alphabet Book The Underwater Alphabet Book