Start by marking “Away From Her: Collection” as Want to Read:
Away From Her: Collection

Away From Her: Collection

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A collection of short stories.
Published 2007 by Penguin Books Canada (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Away From Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away From Her

Carolyn
Alice Munro's luminous, precise, unforced and simple prose conveys so much insight into the human condition. Every tiny detail of the physical and emotional landscape is significant. Her characters, mostly female, develop before our eyes, moulded by chance encounters, betrayal, lust or other small yet significant events. Sometimes the scenes moves back and forth over time, and memory is often a factor in her storytelling.
I loved this collection. Each story distils more truth than one would norma...more
Maggie
I keep trying to puzzle out how the author created memory. How did she do it? and in a way that was somehow both unflinching and gentle? I think of trying to draw what I see in my peripheral vision. The things I draw from the edges of my sight lose their sense of periphery. Memories of the past seem to do the same thing. As I detail them, they become too tangible, not memories anymore at all. Yet with this book, I felt I didn't just read about the experiences of the characters, I remembered them...more
Bookshop
I am often tempted by great literary names in an attempt to be culturally sophisticated. This is one of the occasions. While browsing at Indigo, I thought this book was one good buy: I was in Canada; she was one of the greatest Canadian authors; and the book, particularly the title story, was highly acclaimed.

This is my first Munro and it took me a while to get used to her style. She, I read further, apparently specializes in telling stories about the changes that happen in people's lives. She...more
Noel Charchuk
I had read this story earlier this year in a collection. It was titled The Bear Comes Over the Mountain there.

It was very interesting to read Sarah Polley's foreword to this edition, and her reaction to the story.

Another of Munro's great tales.
Janice Thoroughgood
After much avoidance I gave up on this book with two short stories to go.

I can't put a finger on what was so unappealing to me. I'm still undecided on weather or not to see the film of the same title.
Debbie
Good book but couldn't really connect to the characters although I will say that the end scene where the husband comes to visit her in the home is powerful.
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Sep 01, 2014
Tutu
Tutu marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Doaa
Doaa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Alice Henry
Alice Henry marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Louize
Louize marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Melanie Thorburn
Melanie Thorburn marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Alexis Carere
Alexis Carere marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Destiny Guerrero
Destiny Guerrero marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter...more
More about Alice Munro...
Dear Life: Stories Runaway Too Much Happiness Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories Lives of Girls and Women