Start by marking “George Washington's Cows” as Want to Read:
George Washington's Cows

George Washington's Cows

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Humorous rhymes about George Washington's farm where the cows wear dresses, the pigs wear wigs, and the sheep are scholars.
Published March 11th 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington's Cows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington's Cows

babyhippoface
Let me say first of all that I love David Small's illustrations. Truly. These are wonderful. I was pulling books on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln this morning since their birthdays are coming up. I kept this one aside to read because, as I said, I love David Small's illustrations. Needless to say, it did not make the President's Day shelf in the library--our kids would probably think it was "for realz!"

Personally, I would've liked this book more if the title character was fictional rathe
Katie
Jun 09, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Summary: This book is about all the animals on George Washington's farm. Each group of animals does different humanly tasks. At the end of the book George Washington decides that his animals are all crazy and he should sell the farm and go into politics.

Evaluation: I found the book to be cute but there were some fairly large words in the text. I wouldn't suggest reading this to young children because you would be stopping to explain words on each page. For older elementary grade students you wo
Erin
We loved this very silly fictional story about George Washington. There isn't much point to it, but the illustrations are cute and the rhyme is very funny.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book rhymes (with challenging vocabulary) and gives a spin on why George Washington may have decided to go into politics. Amusing!
Heidi
I suspected this would be silly. I was right. What would one expect from the author of Imogene's Antlers? It took me a few pages to catch the rhyming scheme, but it is a good one. The illustrations are fun--especially to see familiar Mount Vernon areas. I was a bit disturbed by the cows eating cream, but that only lasted a moment. :-) Fun, silly book. I think it would read well for a school-age storytime. Preschoolers might catch some of the humor of the animals' antics if not the George Washing ...more
Mrs. Wynn
Feb 13, 2013 Mrs. Wynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primary, picture-book
Maybe my rating is due to the fact that I was looking for something not quite so silly, but I didn't care for this book much. George Washington keeping cows upstairs in the bedroom, dressing up in the day's fashion? Pigs, sheep, etc all pretending to be people? Just didn't make sense to me. I guess I saw a book that was maybe historical fiction, and it turned out to be a joke. I wasn't laughing, sorry.
Carolyn
Delightful fantasy about George Washington's farm where the cows wear dresses, the pigs wear wigs, and the sheep are scholars. Wonderful paintings begin with the cover, include the endpapers and title pages, and contribute to telling the story from beginning to end. I got to see the original artwork displayed at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, and my copy is an autographed first edition, 1994.
Shelby Usrey
Sep 09, 2012 Shelby Usrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book was very interesting. David Small's illustrations were humorous and very detail, which I loved. It is an exciting read and something children could adore simply because of the illustrations and the use of animals. It could a book that could jump start a history lesson explaining the presidents. I feel like this book could be enjoyed by a majority of any classroom, any age.
Heather
Apr 18, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
35 months - We absolutely love David Small's illustrations and I've been slowly borrowing all the books he's illustrated. This story is quite bizarre and funny although a bit over the head of O. Interesting rhyming scheme, not the typical for a kids book which is a nice change.
Melissa
We are raving David Small fans in this house. This picture book may be my favorite Small work---those professorial sheep just kill me.
CFAITC
Humorous rhymes about George Washington's farm, where the cows wear dresses, the pigs wear wigs, and the sheep are scholars.
Sam Bloom
Do I call this non-fiction? Hard to say, because I think it's all hogwash, but this book is pretty funny nonetheless.
Mrs Jameson AKA Library Girl
February for preschool - K

Look for a different book for next year
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Dylan & Devon Tandoc
Dylan & Devon Tandoc rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Abdllah Alahmadte
Abdllah Alahmadte marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Farien
Farien marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Greer
Greer rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Crystal Robinson
Crystal Robinson rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

David Small is the recipient of the Caldecott Medal, a Christopher Medal, and the E. B. White Award for his picture books, which include Imogene's Antlers, The Gardener, and So, You Want to Be President? He lives in Mendon, Michigan.
More about David Small...