Start by marking “The Search” as Want to Read:
The Search

The Search

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  34,488 Ratings  ·  1,994 Reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author presents a riveting novel of a canine Search and Rescue volunteer who fights danger and finds love in the Pacific Northwest wilderness.

To most people, Fiona Bristow seems to have an idyllic life—a quaint house on an island off Seattle’s coast, a thriving dog-training school and a challenging volunteer job performing Canine Search an

Kindle Edition, re-print edition, 494 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Jove (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Search, please sign up.

Alp
May 01, 2016 Alp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. This is the BEST romantic suspense story I’ve read this year!

I can always count on Nora Roberts to deliver an engrossing and thrilling read. In spite of my high expectations, the author still knocked me off my feet and surprised me with this brilliant story. The Search is a very well-written story with the perfect mixture of breathtaking romance and heart-pounding suspense.

I don’t want to spoil any plot details so I will try to keep this as short as possible.

After losing her fiancé to a se
Vicki
May 03, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Search by Nora Roberts and this is one intense read. The characters Fiona Bristow and Simon Doyle are hilarious which helps during the tense scary parts.

Fiona is a dog trainer and works on the search and rescue canine team. Her dogs are brilliant and when Simon comes over with his unruly, ill mannered dog.

Simon is about ready to wash his hands of him until Fiona helps him teach Jaws to be a smart puppy.
It was so nice to see the dogs being trained over and above the typical obedienc
Mo
Apr 20, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it
Another good read from Ms Roberts. I am not sure if it can really be categorised as Romantic Suspense. Less suspense than most of the "suspense" books I read. I love her heroines. Fiona was strong and independent.

She watched the man get out. Tall, a lot of dark hair, scarred boots, worn jeans on long legs. Good face, she decided, sharp planes, sharp angles blurred by the shadow of stubble that said he'd been too busy or too lazy to shave that morning ...

Jaws

"You know, given my line of work,
♡Karlyn P♡
Jessi
I've been getting a little worried because the past couple of Nora Roberts books haven't really tripped my trigger. But this one... was awesome.
Fiona Bristow was kidnapped almost ten years ago, the only survivor of a serial killer who would find single, athletic women, kill them and then bury them in a shallow grave in a national park. After Fiona managed to escape, the killer went back and killed her boyfriend and his K9 unit. In his memory, Fiona opened up a dog training school which does eve
Karla
3 Stars!! I'm still "SEARCHING" for the excitement!

Okay, so the book had it's moments, but I really expected more in the way of a thrilling read. I did like the two main characters, Fiona and Simon. Fiona was easy going, funny and a dog trainer extraordinaire! Simon was gruff, demanding, pushy...but it added to his appeal and they played well off of each other. I enjoyed the dog training aspect of the book, I love dogs, but when a book is titled The Search and the underlying plot is about a seri
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
If you have a dog and want to train him/her then by all means pick up this book as this reads more like a "how to" guide. I like dogs but this was overkill. Seriously, page after page on how to train your dog and what's involved in search and rescue missions.

She gets a point for starting off the book really well but that's about it. There was no suspense and the killer storyline could have been so, so much better.

What I found to be unbelievable was the romance between Fiona and Simon. Nothing a
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Fun and Different
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Just when you thought you were safe…
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Simon

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I really liked this one a lot. I thought it was different in a way I don’t see often. The characters weren’t cookie cutter. There was fun banter that made me laugh. I just love how the dogs were woven into the story. I liked this one a lot.

For a full r
Lynne
Nov 17, 2015 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Nora Roberts.... I loved it! Fiona is a great lead.
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4 "Pizza Slut" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Jonetta
Mar 31, 2015 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the reviews here are brutal, which is a mystery to me. I happen to love dogs but didn't think that was at the basis of my interest of a story about a woman dog trainer. Fiona Bristow is a survivor who has recreated herself following pretty tragic circumstances. She relocated herself to Orcas Island in Puget Sound and is devoting her life to dog obedience training and as a volunteer with the Canine Search and Rescue. Fiona also trains dogs for search and rescue.

Enter Simon, a wood artist
Lynsey A
OK - so I'm somewhere between a 2 and 3 star on this so I'll go with 2.5 stars.

The beginning of the book was kind of boring and boy did I learn a lot about how to train a dog. I also really didn't warm up to Simon. He just seemed way too hard for me. There just was something about him that I didn't warm to. He was a little too grumpy for me or something. Fiona was ok but I didn't really love her either. It's hard to explain but this couple just didn't do it for me. Yes, I at sometimes smiled ov
Lori
Jan 21, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I don't know how Nora Roberts writes so many high quality novels, but she's done it again with The Search. The heroine (Fiona) was strong without being harsh/bitchy, the hero (Simon) was a delightful combination of handsome, competent, loyal, and cranky without ever becoming annoying. Watching these two fall in love was a treat.

But the real stars were Fiona's and Simon's dogs. Ms. Roberts did an amazing job giving each dog their own distinct personality and they lit up the page every time
LibraryLass
Not one of my out and out favourites of NR's, but I would far rather read one of her books than most others out there today any day of the week.

Loved Simon and Fiona both. Loved the whole premise of rescue dogs, the training involved etc. I quite enjoyed all the obvious research that went into this book.

But what I love the most about Nora Roberts books is that she never changes her characters to suit her plotlines. Simon started out gruff, impatient, grumpy and a loner and he consistently stayed
Catherine
This was pretty disappointing for a Nora Roberts book. Usually I inhale her books the day I get them, but this one didn't hold my attention. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't engrossing. It took me a couple days of picking it up and putting it down before I finished it.

The beginning chapter was really interesting. It really helped get me in tune with what she did for her Search & Rescue job. I didn't mind all the details of the training for the search and rescue, most of it was interesting, but I
Carrie
Listening to audio version; Oct 2012 Narrated by Tanya Eby.

Audio review:
Tanya Eby does a great job narrating The Search My only complaint is that sometimes during conversations she fails to differentiated between speakers. Other than that, Eby nails the right attitude and atmosphere for the characters and the story. Simon comes across perfectly as the irascible woodworker who fights to keep his loner status in the face of his growing feelings about Fiona. As with the print version, I love how Ro
Nellie80
I gave it 3* it's an interesting plot, good storyline, I'm not a dog person but that didnt put me off, but i marked it down because i didnt feel the connection between the characters it just never got going and there werent any real tense moments....all the emtion in the book felt forced...i'm a very big fan of this author but this bk didnt do it for me.
Giselle
Jun 06, 2011 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started to read this at my mom's one day when I was bored and it was lying on the coffee table. Didn't even bother to read the back so I had no clue what I was reading, though I knew the author. It turned out to be pretty good! The Search is a romantic thriller about a woman, Fiona, who 8 years ago escaped a serial killer, who is now in prison. But a copy-cat killer is now surfacing and on the hunt to finish what was started.

I really loved the characters in this book: Fiona, the protagonist,
Shannon
Apr 26, 2011 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts can always be counted on to write a good story, and this one wasn't bad. The thing is, it wasn't up to her usual standards, thus the two stars. Yep, I'm grading on a curve.

Any number of reviews will give you a synopsis of the book so I won't bother with that. I'll just cut to the chase: I didn't particularly like the protagonists. Well, okay, I liked them apart from each other. Fiona, or Fee, was kind, smart, and a good friend. She was level-headed and had come back from incredible
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Tanya Eby Narration 4*s

I'm a big Nora fan. I'm also a dog fan. The combination of a good storyline from a favorite author with the detailed research on dog training, especially in regards to search and rescue, worked really well for me.

I really enjoyed the romance between Simon and Fiona and how it built over the course of the book, they were a great couple. This was one of my favorite romances of 2010.

The audio book version was excellent even if you had to work a little harder to he
PJ
My first, and hopefully, only Nora Roberts read. I love dogs and was sucked in by the search and canine rescue slant, which I think she described very well. It wasn't a bad book, but for me it would have succeeded just fine as a murder mystery without the bodice ripper lusty sex scenes.

Update 04/2016:
Well, it seems my reading tastes have certainly changed. I rather like my murder mysteries with the aforementioned "bodice ripper lusty sex scenes" now.
Sandra
Emboscada me ha sorprendido gratamente. No iba con expectativas sobre él y creo que eso ha sido bueno. Todo el libro en sí me ha cautivado desde el principio, con sus personajes y con el mundo del adiestramientos y con la constante presencia de los 4 perritos que se han llevado un trocito de mi corazón <3 jajaja Me ha gustado mucho mucho la relación entre Fi y Simon, son tan lfsjkhfa... *suspiro* y es que me ha parecido una relación tan real, no la típica idealizada en la los dos son perfecto ...more
Ian
May 23, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-favorites
Nora Roberts is a little hit and miss with me. I've read a few and almost gagged on my own vomit...but there are a few of her books which do everything right and this is one of them.
jenjn79
Jul 18, 2010 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
For me, Nora Roberts almost never fails to deliver an enjoyable, readable book. This one was no different. I liked "The Search" a lot...I probably wouldn't qualify it as one of my favorites by her, but I can see myself reading it again in a year or two.

Series Note:
No series connections.

Summary:
Years ago, Fiona Bristow had the perfect life in the works...a great fiance, an upcoming wedding, a loving family. Then it all fell apart when she unintentionally caught the eye of the Red Scarf Killer. W
Duchess Nicole
Tons of reviews, so I won't say much. I haven't been too thrilled at the last couple of Nora books I've read. She seems to be pulling away from the romance and leaning more toward inner dialogue and halfhearted suspense, but I didn't find this book to be the same. I loved the hero, Simon. He's an ass at times, but that's just his gruff exterior shining through. I was impressed with the way he was handled. The suspense was definitely there but didn't take up too much of the story. In fact, I real ...more
Lindsey
Generally speaking Nora Roberts books are fairly predictable but I can always count on them to entertain. While I am not going to find life's hidden meaning within a Roberts book I will find a few hours of blissful escape where I can guarantee I will be whisked away on a fairy tale romance that never fails to give me a happily ever after ending.

Each protagonist in a Roberts novel seems to have the perfect balance of imperfections (both physical and emotional) and positive attributes so as to ma
Vicki
Oct 13, 2010 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, library-books
Nobody reads Nora Roberts for shocking and unexpected plots – she basically has a handful of types of books and just rewrites them over and over. The Search falls into Category 2: woman with traumatic past has overcome it to become completely self-sufficient and a little bit closed-off emotionally, meets new guy right as she falls back into danger very similar to whatever caused the trauma in her past, they fall in love while danger deepens and eventually best the foe together. I am not mocking ...more
Pepa
Por ahora, de los poquitos que he leído de esta autora, es el que más me ha gustado. La razón: Simon, me ha gustado su ironía, su desparpajo y sus piropos.
Dos personas independientes que no quieren ninguna relación pero que con el día a día se van metiendo de lleno en ella. Un amor de los que me gusta... se los que me cuentan.
Me gusta lo independiente de las protagonistas de la autora. Quizás demasiado protagonismo para el mundo del adiestramiento, pero como a mí me gusta, pues lo he disfrutado.
Anna Casanovas
Elegí esta novela de Nora Roberts porque hacía tiempo que no leía ninguna y me apetecía estar con una "vieja amiga" (eso son para mí las novelas de esta autora) y, aunque no creo que sea su mejor obra, cumplió su cometido.
"Emboscada" parte de una base muy recurrente en las novelas de Nora Roberts: protagonista femenina que ha sobrevivido a un hecho violento (violación, secuestro, intento de asesinato, accidente) y que se ha convertido en una mujer fuerte e independiente, aunque con alguna secuel
Kendall
Jul 11, 2010 Kendall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A serial murder, a hunk, a damsel, and the most interesting characters are the dogs she trains
Nora Roberts Grou...: * Buddy Read - The Search (March 2016) 86 34 Mar 16, 2016 06:42PM
Favorite Character? 6 18 Jan 20, 2015 06:44AM
Love, murder and charm! 29 163 Sep 10, 2013 07:17PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #22 - The Search 1 1 May 03, 2013 11:48AM
Reviews for the L...: Romance (Romantic Suspense) THE SEARCH by Nora Roberts 0 45 Sep 21, 2012 04:31AM
  • Indulgence in Death (In Death, #31)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Veil of Night
  • Shattered
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

“Everything I know, I learned from dogs.” 119 likes
“She heard music. Angels singing? she thought, dizzy. It seemed odd for angels to sing after table sex. She managed to swallow on a throat wildly dry. "Music," she murmured.

"My phone. In my pants. Don't care."

"Oh. Not angels."