Start by marking “Consider David Foster Wallace” as Want to Read:
Consider David Foster Wallace

Consider David Foster Wallace

From Tristram Shandy to Fredric Jameson, Consider David Foster Wallace blazes a trail into the new territory of David Foster Wallace studies. Greg Carlisle, author of the landmark Wallace study Elegant Complexity, provides an introduction that sets the scene and speculates on the future of Wallace studies. Editor David Hering provides a provocative look at the triangular s ...more
Published December 1st 2015 by Sideshow Media Group (first published August 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Consider David Foster Wallace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consider David Foster Wallace

David
This volume of 17 essays on the work of David Foster Wallace synthesizes the proceedings of the "first ever conference devoted to the work of DFW", a 2-day workshop held on July 29-30, 2009 at the University of Liverpool in England. My first reaction was "God help us all! Now that the academicians have entered the field, they will suck all life out of his body of work and bicker querulously in the ashes".

It's not quite as bad as all that. Some of the essays in the book are definitely egregious
Brian
Nov 25, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Some interesting stuff in here, and it's always cool to see academics engaging with something that you personally love, but the vast majority of these essays are too short and too slavishly devoted to Wallace's own critical framework.

And that's to say nothing about the piss-poor editing job. Myriad typos, sentences that shouldn't have made it past first drafts (actual sentence, on the first page: "It is an unhappy but true fact that when a writer dies, the fact of the end effectively seals their
Steve
May 07, 2012 Steve rated it it was ok
While a few of these essays are interesting (Kelly, Jenner), most are pretty bland. And they're all too short to really dig into their subjects. Yet the biggest flaw is that these scholars seem intent on (& content with) interpreting DFW's writings in terms of his own utterances & theorizing--without even exploring the contradictions or even the inward-spiraling navel-gazing these can produce (which to me would be a fascinating: looking at DFW's demands for sincerity and intent as expres ...more
A.K.
Nov 22, 2010 A.K. rated it liked it
Got this in the mail for my birthday. Right on. Whipping up prolix reviews- really I promise- of both this and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy, which I bought for myself for my birthday. DFW and BtVS being the two reigning cultural obsessions in my life.
Yeti
Jan 06, 2013 Yeti rated it really liked it
Lots of really good, brief essays on a range of DFW's work, both his fiction and non-. Bothersome, however, is the abundance of grammatical/typographical errors, especially considering the essays' subject. Anyway, some thought-provoking ideas and insights that I'd recommend to anyone familiar with Wallace's oeuvre.
Zoltan Rodrigues
Feb 11, 2011 Zoltan Rodrigues rated it it was amazing
This book is a proceedings from an academic conference about DFW, and so its target audience is not really the common reader. Keep that in mind, esp. David, before you go slagging off the essayists. Really uncool.
John
Mar 04, 2013 John rated it liked it
Only a few of these essays really rocked my world. David Herring's piece on Infinite Jest as a Sierpinksi Gasket was the standout.
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Sam Bodary
Sam Bodary rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
Federico Rosa
Federico Rosa rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
George  Carr
George Carr rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Heidi Ott
Heidi Ott rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Suzy
Suzy rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2011
Ronald Moore
Ronald Moore rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Jarrod Vassallo
Jarrod Vassallo rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Jonathan Taylor
Jonathan Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2010
Nikki Stevens
Nikki Stevens rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Octotaco
Octotaco rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Scott anderson
Scott anderson rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2011
Lambsky
Lambsky rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Cory
Cory rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Rob Short
Rob Short rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2011
  • The Third Culture: Beyond the Scientific Revolution
  • Christopher Hitchens and His Critics: Terror, Iraq, and the Left
  • Neuroscience and Philosophy: Brain, Mind, and Language
  • The Last Interview and Other Conversations
  • The Primacy of Perception: And Other Essays on Phenomenological Psychology, the Philosophy of Art, History and Politics
  • The Function of Criticism