Start by marking “A Wish for Christmas: A Cape Light Novel” as Want to Read:
A Wish for Christmas: A Cape Light Novel

A Wish for Christmas: A Cape Light Novel (Cape Light #10)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  380 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Nothing captures the essence of the holidays like Thomas Kinkade's paintings-and the unforgettable town of Cape Light.

Gifts of kindness are never forgotten...

After serving in Iraq, the injured David has returned home to find his widowed father remarried and his ex-girlfriend working for him on his tree farm. Trying not to seem bitter or discouraged is even harder tha
Published November 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published November 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Wish for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wish for Christmas

Ronda  Tutt
Nov 27, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This book is dedicated to the men and women in the U.S. military and to their families.

This book is about three families - The first one is about Jack's son David who has return home from Iraq early due to an explosin that crushed his legs and now has to use a walker to even walk. David's story goes into the trials and pains he has to endure while going to Physical Therapy, nightmares he has every night that keeps him awake, the pain he is always in, and of course the loss of his self esteeme t
Anna
Apr 11, 2010 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
I didn't actually finish this book, just skimmed the ending. It had to go back to the library and because I wasn't too interested in the story anyway, I returned it without having finishing completely. Pretty much everything I said about #9 of this series applies to this book as well.

Summary: Grace and Digger Hegman find a large amount of money in their attic and become Secret Santas to the town of Capelight. Meanwhile, elderly Lilian Warwick insists on continuing living in her large house but
Dec 05, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Christmas novel showcase two families, first David who has returned from war to find his father has remarried and he has gained a young stepsister. The focus is on his physical injuries as well as flash backs which happened frequently at night. His breakthrough came when he went for therapy at the VA and left home for some solitary time to reflect on which direction he wanted his life to travel. It shows the strength and devotion of families especially his young sister in her devotion to hi ...more
Megan Just
Jan 12, 2010 Megan Just rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Cape Light, the picturesque New England seaside village often featured in Thomas Kinkade’s paintings, A Wish for Christmas follows three community members through the holiday season.

David is a service member who has just returned from deployment with physical and mental injuries, and is trying to adjust to civilian life while hoping to rekindle a relationship with his ex-girlfriend. Lillian is a feisty elderly woman who finds herself reconnecting with a lifelong male friend as she resist
Donna
Apr 04, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Cape Light, unexpected challenges and gifts come when least expected.

Jack Sawyer's son, David, has returned home after serving in Iraq. He was wounded over there and has several surgeries to help him recover, but he still is having problems both physically and mentally. He comes home to find things have changed: his dad is remarried and he has a young stepsister to boot. Jack is elated to have David back and does as much to help him as possible.

David has decided he needs to get back to physic
Julie Barrett
Feb 01, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wish for Christmas, A cape Light Novel by Thomas Kinkaid and Katherine Spencer
Lilian is recovering from her fall and her granddaughter and husband are going to move as they need time being newlyweds. The other daughters are local and usually drop whatever they are doing to come to her rescue. When they arrive it's to find that she's just lonely. She has a new love interest.
David is home from the war, injured and his nerves don't feel a thing, yet. His father has remarried to Julie and her daug
Joanne
Mar 18, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
Book #2 of the 2011 Christmas season for me. Also a first time read by this popular author.

I enjoyed this book and liked the sub stories of three people in Cape Light and their struggles during the holiday season. Warm and inviting for the holiday time of year.

David – Just out of the service is adjusting to his injuries and living back home with his family. He is learning to manage his life with the help of an old friend, controlling his anger, and setting goals to get back on his feet.

Lillian
Jennifer Gentry
Jan 12, 2010 Jennifer Gentry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This was a very good Christmas story and a delightful continuation of the Cape Light series. I always come away from reading these books feeling like I've caught up with good friends over tea. There was a wonderful surprise awaiting me at the end that I'm sure loyal readers will appreciate.

My only complaint with the book, and the reason I did not give it 5 stars, was the authors' use of the word "damn" in several places in the book. I go out of my way to avoid reading books with profanity in the
Jacklynn Pragosa
Carol
Jan 05, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of hope and good works and love. I didn't know Thomas Kinkade wrote books or he puts his name on them and Katherine Spencer writes them. There are 3 stories within the story: David, a young soldier returning from Iraq trying to recover from extensive injuries; Lillian Warwick a cranky old rich lady who loves making life miserable for everyone she comes in contact with except Ezra; and lastly Grace and her Dad Digger who become the whole town's secret Santa. A great book for the hol ...more
Jeanne Adamek
Dec 28, 2014 Jeanne Adamek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself actually quite enjoying this book although I didn't start it with much hope. Lillian was especially well described. I couldn't stand her, but could appreciate the emotions that she was going through and I loved the last decision she made. It made her human...
Dana
Sep 16, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment of this series. I like the evolution you get of the main characters throughout each of the books and those that are mainly in an individual book. The only "complaint" I have about these books is that sometimes it feels like the endings are a bit rushed and he glosses over some things.
Jessica
Thomas Kinkade should stick to painting....it's not that this was a bad book...it just wasn't particularly good. I picked it up at the bookstore for a Christmas time read, and finished it in January... It was very slow in the beginning. There were too many characters, so they were not developed enough. I would have like to have seen the focus on less characters and to go a little deeper (especially considering that this is the 10th book or so in the Cape Light series....[although I haven't read ...more
Clara Roberts
Jan 06, 2010 Clara Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful book that had four concurrent stories of four different families. This was a fast read. It held my attention and was not too sappy, as are many books with Christian themes. I found it in the new release section of our local library. It is a 2009 release. The character descripions were excellent when adults were the characters. You could just visualize the quarlesome old woman, the injured soldier from Iraq,etc. The childrens description was weak. You could tell that they ha ...more
Lynne H.
Aug 10, 2015 Lynne H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three short stories that intertwine some of Michaels' favorite characters. It was a wonderful mix!
Rdrunner04
Jan 24, 2015 Rdrunner04 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet story about relationships and reaching out to share God's love and blessings.
Juanita Bland
Jan 12, 2016 Juanita Bland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A make you feel good book.
Debbie Phillips
Dec 28, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
A great read. Wonderful characters. A great, inspirational Christmas story... it would make a good movie too!!!

Thanks to one of the characters in the book, Lillian, I thanked my mother for being agreeable when we, as a family, decided it was time for her to sell her home. She moved in with my sister. I miss the home I grew up in, but Mom is in a better place. Thanks Chris and Dave, for all you do for Mom every day.

Connie
Dec 26, 2009 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have given this book a 5 star rating because it is the next in the wonderful Cape light series. The entire series is just superb; I feel like I am a part of this little community.

It is not that these books are the best from a literary viewpoint, but they are the best from a "heartwarming" perspective.

While I normally wait until Christmas each year for the release of the newest title, it seems that this year there will be a new title released in April, 2010!!!!!!!!!!
Gail Jorgensen
Jan 16, 2014 Gail Jorgensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
babies get born people get married houses burn Santa comes it all happened in cape light it gets better and better each book.
Nov 21, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really lovely book. I've enjoyed this whole series so much. For some reason, I found this one to be particularly moving. It's interesting that subjects and characters that could be so maudlin and sappy in another author's hands turn out to be just beautiful and inspiring in this Thomas Kinkade/Katherine Spencer series. Sensitive and intelligent writing...can't wait for the next installment.
Apr 24, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer! Made me want to go back and reread the previous nine to refresh my memory of some of the people and family situations. These Cape Light books bring to light that even the best of people go through rough times and tribulations but also teaches us to handle them with patients and the help of God.
Sandy
This is by far one of the best series that I have read!! Katherine Spencer is a wonderful author and has a way of bringing the past into the current book that sparks the memory of what has taken place previously! I have read the entire series and wait impatiently every year for the next one to be released! I HIGHLY recommend this series!
Lyndi
Dec 03, 2013 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is our December book club book. And is one that I really wish I could have given half stars too. As it was better than a three, but not quite a four. It was pretty predictable, and reminded me of a cheesy made for TV movie story line to it. But it was good for a Christmas, and a not kind of thinking in the month of December book.
Nancy Anderson
Actually a 3.5 star. Read a bit slow..but do love the happy ending! :)
I love this quote from Emily Dickinson page 274: "The soul selects her own society, then shuts the door. On her divine majority, obtrude no more...".
Laurie Dewberry
I'm not sure what about this book kept me interested after about page 30 because I knew then exactly how the book would end. But, I guess it's kind of like how I watch one of the cheesy Lifetime or Hallmark channel movies at Christmastime just because I know they will end predictably.
 Barb Bailey
A warm and comfortable Christmas read. This is a story that follows three very different residents of Cape Light through their holiday season. It brings to the reader the true meaning of Christmas, Faith, Hope and Charity! 3.5 stars
Linda
A soldier comes back to live with his family after serving in Afghanistan. He has to walk with a walker, and suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is a book about healing, and is a feel good book.
Culleen
Oct 29, 2014 Culleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one has to be my favorite Cape Light story yet. The struggles David faces; the generosity of the Hegemans; and Lillian and Ezra's story. It really kept me reading and made me feel happy.
Jaime
Jan 08, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a feel good christmas story. It also helped me understand PTSD a little better as one of the main characters was an injured vet who served in Iraq and was suffering from PTSD.
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • Home for Christmas
  • The Spirit of the Season (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #21)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Way Home
  • A Blue and Gray Christmas
  • One Perfect Day
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • Katie's Dream: A Novel (The Wortham Family Series, #3)
  • Christmas Visitor: An Amish Romance
  • The Great Christmas Bowl
  • There's Something About Christmas
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
19941
Thomas Kinkade was known as the "Painter of Light." His works, although spurned by the secular art establishment. were very popular with Christians and many others.
More about Thomas Kinkade...

Cape Light (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cape Light (Cape Light #1)
  • Home Song
  • A Gathering Place
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
  • A Christmas Promise (Cape Light #5)
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • A Christmas To Remember (Cape Light #7)
  • A Christmas Visitor (Cape Light #8)
  • A Christmas Star (Cape Light #9)
  • On Christmas Eve