Start by marking “The Majors (Brotherhood Of War, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Majors (Brotherhood Of War, #3)

The Majors (Brotherhood of War #3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,138 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Dien Bien Phu. Saigon. Hanoi. In 1954, they were only exotic names from a French campaign halfway around the world. But now American fighting men--proven on the bloody beaches of Normandy and in the minefields of Korea--are summoned to help beat back the guerilla forces of Ho Chi Minh. To some, the "secret" war in Indochina was the depth of folly. To others, like the Major ...more
Published November 15th 1986 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Majors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Majors

Thom Swennes
Probably no time in history has been as advantageous for military careers as that following the Second World War. Young officers and men entered the services to fight a war and upon its conclusion the world and the position of the United States in that world had changed forever. The balance of world power shifted from Western Europe and moved to the Soviet Union, China and to the United States. With the defeat of Germany and Japan, the world soon formed new scrimmage lines based on two new ideol ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Vietnam is just a name to most Americans as this book opens, but it won't remain that way.

I like these books and have pretty much read them back to back as I got them. They do a very good job of telling an inside the military story...albeit from mostly an officer's point of view.

If you know anything about the history of the period you know that Griffin now and then is a bit...creative. Still it's called historical fiction for a reason. These people become very real to the reader as he/she follow
Ken Dodd
The entire Brotherhood of War series is excellent. Once I read The Lieutenants I couldn't stop until I reached the end of the series. The 9 book series follows a group of characters through their careers in the military from WWII to the Vietnam era.
Mikel Dawson
The fantastic thing I found about this series is Griffin used actual military events as the basis of his stories. The events were accurate in time and date and wove the characters into the time frames. As a military person, I found he was detailed enough in equipment, training he put them through and the places they served. If a person didn't know this was a work of fiction, one might think it was real.
Valerie Curtis
I love this series! I’ve learned a lot about the Army, but what I really like is that it reminds me of the short time I was in the service and a civil servant. Made me feel nostalgic for the “old” ways :)
We follow our characters from WWII, and Korea to the beginnings of aviation in the Army, fighting Algeria, and “advising” in Viet Nam. The character development has been really steady and remains true to form.
My husband and I were at Ft. Rucker and read the history of the base at their Museum.
Will
The 1950's Under Eisenhower, Algeria and the Vietnam Outset. After a MAG advisor assignment, Red Hanrahan and his family escape a highway ambush attack in Vietnam, followed by Felter, McMillan and Greer visiting Dien Bien Phu for a battlefield assessment where they receive more decorations. As the Army struggles to overcome the Airborne hangover, Craig Lowell champions rocket-armed helicopters and makes a grand demonstration at Ed Greer's funeral.
Heather
Not quite as good as the first two books in the series, but still entertaining. My dad, who's read all of the books, says that while it's a bit slower, it provides important plot points for the rest of the series. I also just finished the next book, "The Colonels," and I plan to give that one a 5 star rating. What can I say, every series has a slow book, and "The Majors" seems to be that book in what is otherwise an awesome series.
Matt Kurjanowicz
Like the books before it, the Majors is a pleasant read notable for its lack of war in a war book. I find myself getting a little bored at times, but I keep turning the page.

The ending of this book was particularly predictable, so I wonder if that will be the norm for upcoming books.
Russianwitch
I went through this series in my 'all things military' phase which lasted quit a while. I think most of the politics which would make the books interesting to me now got missed by my 15 year old self reading them. But I do remember enjoying them regardless but not enough to reread them.
David Ward
The Majors (Brotherhood of War #3) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1983) (Fiction - Military). Now that the Korean Conflict is under control, there's a new brushfire in French Indochina which they call Viet Nam. My rating: 7/10, finished 1983.
Julie
An improvement over books 1 and 2, but I'm so tired of the verbatim reading of orders.... and the continued use of derogatory terms.

BUT... 1LT Greer's wife being a bi*ch to a general... Now that's good stuff!
George
Next in the series of a pretty well researched book--details the development of Army aviation from the perspective of the characters in the series. I wonder when one of them will get killed off? Next--"The Colonels"
Derek
I really enjoyed this book. I am wondering why I waited so long to read this volume. hopefully, I remember to read the next in the series sooner than I did with this volume.
Bryan
I really like this series. This one isn't as good as the others and is more of a bridge between the books before and after. Not to much action, but still good.
Meakin
This is a great series. It's somewhat like a soap opera of the military lots of fun lots of suspense and can't wait to read the next one.
Bob Richard
Another typical W.E.B. Griffin book, if you like him you'll like this book.
Fredrick Danysh
Another of Griffin's World War II stories about the army. An interesting read.
Terry Thomas
If you enjoy military stuff, read the whole series. Great.
J.W. Thompson
Another great book in the series ---read it years ago
Donald
very interesting. Griffin knows of military life.
Robin Halvorson
just reread this book -- I like it that much.
Barbara
Continuing a series I was hooked on.
Jerilyn
audiobook, love the series.
Antviscovich
Antviscovich marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Francis
Francis marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton, #4)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Charlie Mike
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Hammer Heads
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Crusade in Europe
  • Cross of Iron
  • Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Brotherhood of War (9 books)
  • The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1)
  • The Captains (Brotherhood of War, #2)
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
  • Special Ops (Brotherhood of War, #9)
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)