Start by marking “Tearing Down the Streets: Adventures in Urban Anarchy” as Want to Read:
Tearing Down the Streets: Adventures in Urban Anarchy

Tearing Down the Streets: Adventures in Urban Anarchy

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From New York to San Francisco, Times Square to the Tenderloin, graffiti artists, young people, radical environmentalists, and the homeless clash with police on city streets in an attempt take back urban spaces from the developers and "disneyfiers". Drawing on more than a decade of first-hand research, this lively account goes inside the worlds of street musicians, homeles ...more
Published December 6th 2002 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tearing Down the Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tearing Down the Streets

Ryan Mishap
He’s listed as a criminologist on the book’s jacket, which gave me pause, but he’s actually a professor who studies the authorities from an anarchist perspective! Not in this book, though, which is a great read: a personal study of temporary urban shelters, Critical Mass, BASE jumping (weird), pirate radio, graffiti, and how these challenge the increasing control of public space by the private sector/government collaboration of money-making control. Thankfully, Ferrell eschews the typical academ ...more
I first read this book about six years ago, when I was just out of college and living in Utah - and I thought it was incredibly powerful and insightful. After going to grad school and living in Chicago, I picked it up again and was very disappointed by its weak arguments and poor organization. I still agree with the main tenants of the book: that cities should be open, free and centered on authentic human activities. While the first and last chapters of this book offer stirring essays that inspi ...more
Gabe
I quite enjoyed this book on anarchist practices (as opposed to the many and often warring books on theory) and certain forms of outlaw culture. Bicyclists, graffiti artists, pirate radio operators, all try to redefine public space in the increasing control and privatization of it, and Ferrell tells their stories well and seamlessly weaves his observations about the anarchist sensibilities behind the action. I look forward to reading it again and making use of the copious endnotes.
Jess
A great book that explores how people, either individually or in groups, take back, supposedly, public land. The author has a bit of an ego but he covers a wide variety of topics like graffiti artists, buskers, and critical mass bicycling demonstrations.
Dan Meier
Some interesting stories but at times can be a very slow read, and he repeats the same things over and over which can add to the slow pace of the book. I feel it could have been at least 50 pages shorter.
Lauren Sailor
haven't read it all, but it contains a great chapter on critical massing
C.B. Daring
Very amazing for a for fourteen year old beginning to understand practical anarchism. I haven't re-read this book since having more classical study, but it was very exciting as a teenager.
Andrea Mules
hard to get into since the writing is a bit dry. a good read though.
Joshua Lepird
Joshua Lepird marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Teapot
Teapot marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Guilherme Böes
Guilherme Böes marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Hok Chhay
Hok Chhay is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2013
madcapcat
madcapcat marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Elodie
Elodie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Sean
Sean added it
May 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeff Ferrell is Professor of Criminal Justice at Northern Arizona University. His books include Crimes of Style: Urban Graffiti and The Politics of Criminology. He lives in Flagstaff, Arizona.
More about Jeff Ferrell...
Empire of Scrounge: Inside the Urban Underground of Dumpster Diving, Trash Picking, and Street Scavenging Crimes Of Style: Urban Graffiti and the Politics of Criminality Ethnography at the Edge Cultural Criminology: Theories of Crime Making Trouble: Cultural Constructions of Crime, Deviance, and Control (Social Problems and Social Issues)