Start by marking “The Wandering Hill ” as Want to Read:
The Wandering Hill

The Wandering Hill (The Berrybender Narratives #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,445 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry continues his epic four-novel telling of The Berrybender Narratives with a new adventure that is both a grand literary achievement and riveting entertainment as forged by a master wordsmith....

The indefatigable Tasmin Berrybender and her eccentric family trek on through the unexplored Wild West of 1830s America -- and suffer the
Published June 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wandering Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wandering Hill

Nigel
The tumultuous, bloody and almost heedless trek of the Berrybenders continues, albeit much of it spent stalled in a trapper's fort waiting for the spring. Tasmin and Sin Killer's married bliss is interrupted by a bout of domestic abuse. Lord Berrybender deteriorates mentally but remains utterly appalling. Babies are on the way: no less than three are born in the course of the novel. Pity the poor babies. Barely crawling and they are subjected to long treks across deserted wilderness, buffalo sta ...more
Mikey B.
The grandiose style is lost in this, the second volume of the Berrybender narratives – despite the quality, at times, of the dialogue and story-telling. It is too long and suffers from being too static with little of the sparkling characterizations of the first book. There is little descriptive traveling and many of the themes of volume I are repeated. I came to dread the passages of the strained relationship between the erudite Tasmin and her hapless, speechless husband. And enough of Lord Berr ...more
John
Back to the Berrybenders. It was kind of nice to revisit this story, it had been about a year since I listened to the first in the series. This one was fun too- though I had some issues with it. There is always a little more dithering in the middle books of a series. I feel like there was more solid plot in book one (Sin Killer), and the plot outline for much of this second book seemed to be "the gang winters at a fort; various people have arguments." I got really tired of chapter after chapter ...more
Betsy
Narrator: Alfred Molina. Great narrator. I think this book suffers from Second in Series Syndrome. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in Sin KillerSin Killerand laughed my way through. But in The Wandering HillThe Wandering HillI just found them tiresome. I couldn't figure out why Tasmin was with Jim Snow. I couldn't figure out why everyone just shrugged at Bobbety or Father Geoffrin, or who was Kate? What happened to Jim Snow's personality? And I couldn't figure out why Lord Benderberry did an ...more
Mallory
Volume two of this series is just as bawdy and perhaps more violent than the first. However, there’s also a fascinating love story developing between Jim Snow and his new wife, Tasmin. Why has someone of her station become attached to this independent, seemingly untamable man? Likewise, what is it that draws him to her? It’s fun watching them try to fit in and adapt to each other’s worlds. Tasmin’s quick acceptance of his Indian wife was a surprise. The introduction of numerous other characters ...more
Steve
This is McMurtry's second volume in the "Berrybender series", the first being THE SIN KILLER. The Berrybenders, lead by His Lordship, are a large, British family come to the American west, bringing with them much of their staff, various hangers-on and assorted guides. Having lost part of one foot and a leg in the previous book, Lord Berrybender still carries on in his quest to shoot as many species of game that have the misfortune to come within range of his rifle. Some of the party have already ...more
John
This is the second novel in series tracing the travels and travails of the Berrybender clan. The Indians in this telling are far more savage and heartless (killing one man by sewing him inside a just-gutted buffalo). The Berrybender's western exploration in the 1830s is of course a precursor to the great migration that will soon displace the Indians from their land.

This is not a political book, and indeed the best -- and in some ways most charming parts -- are those that deal with the interacti
Steve
I adore McMurty’s westerns, and having read and enjoyed “Sin Killer”, I promised myself to read more of the Berrybender series, and now, several years later, have read the second of the four books. As in Sin Killer, the humor runs deep, and so do the references to violent and gory acts on the western plains of 1833. The clan of English Lord Berrybender continues its time in the wild west, with daughter Tasmin the central figure and married to the Sin Killer, Jim Snow. She bears a child and faces ...more
Don
I just finished this book a couple of nights ago. I am a big Larry McMurtry fan but this one left me a little cold. I read the first one of this series, The Sin Killer, and liked it better. I guess I'm just tired of the Berrybenders, especially the rancid old Lord Berrybender. Why doesn't Jim Bridger or Kit Carson or Hugh Glass or Jim Snow just snuff the arrogant old bastard. He is one of those people who is a simple waste of protoplasm and when coupled with his arrogance it would make murder al ...more
Morgan Erwin
I read the first book in a few days, had a little trouble getting into it. Just all the different characters. But once I did I was able to get into the story. The right after I was done with Sin Killer I moved right on to The Wandering Hill. It only took me a few hours to get through it. It stayed fast paced, and I loved it.
Bonnie Plested
I read Lonesome Dove and got hooked. Read the series, and watched the DVDs of the series thanks to our local public libarary.

If you haven't read The Sin Killer, please do go back and read. This will be a two star book without background to make you more interested in the characters. Thank goodness my friend loned me Sin Killer to read before ploughing through the many characters in this series.

The Wandering Hill refers to a Native American belief that a certain hill is filled with devils that
Anne
I started with Sin Killer (obviously) and I gave that 4 stars because it was difficult for me to get into it initially. But once I did, I couldn't wait to start The Wandering Hill. Now, I'm in love with all the flawed characters, including the Indians. There are plenty of great reviews so I'll say that I'm currently starting the next book, "By Sorrow's River." I'm also into the audio versions of most of the books I've reviewed, especially the most recent ones. Life is busy, but I can listen whil ...more
Shelly
The second book in the Berrybinder series. I loved this series very much!
Rod
I'm a little worried that I'll run out of McMurtry novels to read, after I read recently in one of his memoirs that he thinks Rhino Ranch may well be his last. So I went back to the Berrybender series that I missed when it came out originally. Not his best, but enjoyable and I have no doubt that I'll finish the series (this is the second of four). I am struck by the way McMurtry, at his best (and there are little glimmers here) uniquely and unpretentiously captures the thoughts of people who are ...more
Perry
The Berrybender stories are still like a junior Lonesome Dove with emphasis on the cartoonish. Still enjoyable.
Danielle
I more than 'didn't like' this book. I really hated it. I (foolishly) thought it might be going somewhere, which is the only reason I kept reading it. Yeah, I was totally wrong about that one.
It's been a couple of years since I read it, so my vehemenence has cooled a bit. I remember being very offended by the violence and sex. More pertinently, though, the story was stupid and disjointed. McMurtry is supposedly a great author, but judging him solely on this book, I would strongly disagree.
Eric
I liked this better than the first book, mainly because more characters were more likable than in the first book. Everyone seemed obsessed with copulating, but beyond that, most characters didn't seem as selfish in this installment. Tasmin was especially easy to root for, and her siblings were less annoying this time around. I still think there are too many characters to easily keep straight, but that's no big deal. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Scilla
This is Volume 2 of the Berrybender Narratives - about a British family travelling in the wild west of the 1830's. Daughter, Tasmin, has married a mountain man, Jim Snow (known as Sin Killer) and has his son about the same time that Lord Berrybender's girlfriend, Vicki Kennet has her child. There's some side stories about an Indian and some trappers who also interact with the Berrybinders. I didn't find it a gripping tale.
Chad
I enjoyed the second book of the Berrybender clan’s adventures in the 1830s frontier America. This family has its issues and the story became a little too silly in parts but I still enjoyed it overall. Just like the first book in the Berrybender series, I did not like how the story just ended. Not sure if I should continue on with this crazy British family series or find reading enjoyment else were.
Iamabibliophile
Westward expansion is one of my favorite topics. McMurtry has brought it to life in such a fascinating way. After 2 "saga's" I'm deeply invested into each character...and there are many! I'm starting to feel heartbroken each time a character is killed! I wish they would make this into a PG mini-series!

Warning: graphic violence and at times sexually explicit.
Darlis
This is a good companion book since I am reading Undaunted Courage. Several of the same people and some real trappers show up here, about 25 years after the Lewis and Clark Expedition. There are some interesting tales, and it is episodic so it is fun to hear all these independent stories. It does help to be interested in the mountain men era of US history.
Christina Simons
I think all four of these books should have been published as one--the story just stops and then takes up again (as in, the next sentence!) in the next book. The first one delighted me with the quirky characters and clever ideas. This one started to drag. I'm hoping that in volumes 3 and 4 something else starts happening.
Sue Boyd
I just love the way Larry McMurtry writes. His characters are vivid and alive...the story and different adventures are very real and give one a perspective of cowboy life. Very gritty in some places. This is book two, so look forward to the next one. (2003)
Mirah W
I'm not a fan of the Berrybender Narratives...I just don't like any of the characters very much so it makes it hard for me to keep reading. What has happened to McMurtry? Can't he find some of the brilliance he put on the pages of the Lonesome Dove series?
Bonsaiforlife
Book 2 was a little better than the first one. I think knowing the characters better helped move the story line along. The Berrybenders are an odd rough family and understanding them and how they are makes for a good story.
Susan
I love this series! The characters are so funny! Even the Native Americans are totally human, not charicatures of people. Wild things happen, tragic but believeable. I can't wait to get the third one!
Mrs. Doglvrs
I enjoyed this book as much as the first... maybe even more since it was an audiobook, and the person reading it is a GENIUS with the accents! :) I hope I can get the 3rd book of the trilogy in audio format.
Kay
I'm loving the characters more and more. I don't like most of them, but I love them. The story is really good. I know that isn't that specific, but The Wandering Hill and a thoroughly enjoyable book.
  • Desperadoes
  • Valdez Is Coming
  • The Good Old Boys
  • Brimstone (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #3)
  • To the Far Blue Mountains (The Sacketts, #2)
  • Snow Mountain Passage
  • Welcome to Hard Times
  • Effigy
  • A Sudden Country
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • Payback at Morning Peak
  • Riders of the Purple Sage
  • The Perilous Journey of the Donner Party
  • Eyes of Eagles (Eagles, #1)
  • Little Big Man
  • What's Heaven?
  • Dust Devil
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine: 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was adapted into the film "Hud".

McMurty went on to publish many more novels, a number of which went on to become movies as well as a TV mini-series.
More about Larry McMurtry...
Lonesome Dove Terms of Endearment The Last Picture Show Streets of Laredo Comanche Moon