Start by marking “Journey to the End of the World” as Want to Read:
Journey to the End of the World

Journey to the End of the World (Joel Gustafsson #4)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Now that he's getting older, Joel Gustafson has a lot to consider. His birthday is next month. He'll be fifteen, and he can't stop thinking about the new liberties that come with being fifteen: he'll be allowed to ride a moped, and he'll no longer need to sneak into the cinema to see an adults-only film. And maybe his father will finally agree to leave their small Swedish ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Journey to the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to the End of the World

Петър Панчев
Пътешествието на Юел към порастването
Цялото ревю тук: http://knijenpetar.blogspot.bg/2015/1...

„Пътуване до края на света“ („Емас“, 2014, с превод на Ева Кънева) е последната книжка за Юел и неговата трогателна история на възмъжаването. Момчето е вече на петнайсет и започва да осъзнава цялата отговорност на живота, който има. Хенинг Манкел е решил най-после да подари на героя си така мечтаното пътуване, което се явява и като развръзка в поредицата. И четирите книжки за Юел („Кучето, запътило се
Selene
Jun 11, 2011 Selene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book... how can I begin to describe it? I started reading it, by chance, a week away from my high school graduation. Quickly, I read the first two parts. I loved every character, each seen through the eyes of Joel. Gertrude, Simon, Samuel, Sara... They were all dear to me, and in my heart I felt like I loved them as much as Joel did.

Then came the third book. In this one, Joel is growing up. He starts leaving his childish things behind. Gertrude, the dog, the imaginations.. he wants to be t
Daniel Buitrago
Jan 05, 2015 Daniel Buitrago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henning Mankell, aparte de habitar este mundo para hacer de él algo mucho mejor, no deja de ser un magnífico escritor, ¡y prolífico!

En los noventa se dedicó, aparte de a sus creaciones policíacas, a los 'lectores jóvenes'. Estos días estoy con las dos piezas que me restaban para completar su tetralogía de Joel, dentro de la piel de este preadolescente que vive en una aldea de crudos inviernos entre bosques suecos. Junto a su padre, un leñador que antes fue marinero, sueña con hacerse algún día d
Jo Bennie
Nov 27, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m
15 year old Joel Gustafson lives with his lumberjack father Samuel in the far north of Sweden, so far north that it snows on his graduation day in June. Joel cooks for his father, his mother Mummy Jenny left when he was only a baby. Samuel and Joel spend hours poring over world maps together dreaming of this time Joel will be old enough to leave school and sign on as a sailor, and they can sail away from the cold north together. But then a letter for Samuel arrives telling him where Mummy Jenny ...more
Michael Carlson
Dec 19, 2015 Michael Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed all four books in this YA series by Mankell. By writing about a boy between the ages of 12 and 15 (which represents the end of his schooling), Mankell brings his coming-to-age to light.
A good read.
Chris Kostenko
Apr 07, 2013 Chris Kostenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard that this was the last book in a series of books for young adults, I didn't know what to think. Wasn't in the mood for a kid's book; I wasn't disappointed.

If this was a coming of age book, maybe it was just what I was looking for. Joel is beginning a new life at fifteen, and so am I at 63. I enjoyed this book, in the same way I look forward to enjoying my journey to the end of the world.

I love to read Henning Mankell; this book came at the right time and pleased me. Immensely.

ck
Alcheme
Apr 30, 2008 Alcheme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
El libro compila los cuatro libros de la serie que narra el paso de la infancia a la juventud de Joel, un niño que vive con su padre en un pequeño pueblo rural de Suecia. Realmente está bien narrado, las aventuras ocurren sin extravagancias, podría pasarte a ti....
En general las historias de paso, de fin de la niñez, me dejan un poco triste. Sé que se inicia otra vida, pero la nostalgia del tiempo pasado me ataca...
Es un buen libro, con una buena historia.
Izzy C
Aug 30, 2011 Izzy C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the end to the Joel Gustaffason stories. A fitting conclusion, sad and emotional, a great deal more emotive than the book before When The Snow Fell.
Lilithkrakatoa
Jan 01, 2011 Lilithkrakatoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es tan triste que hace llorar. Joder, y ya pa' triste la vida.
Mariana
Mar 24, 2012 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A awesome end to a wonderful coming-of-age series.
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Benita Estes
Benita Estes marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Veera Jäntti-Rasanen
Veera Jäntti-Rasanen is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Linda Redman
Linda Redman rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Ana PF
Ana PF rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
sonia lantin
sonia lantin rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
María
María marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sam Spencer
Sam Spencer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Flo
Flo marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Harald Bettger
Harald Bettger marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Nidia Pastor
Nidia Pastor rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Gail Mabrouk
Gail Mabrouk rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Marbeth
Marbeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Arrowflight
Arrowflight marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • The Dog
  • "There Are Things I Want You to Know" about Stieg Larsson and Me
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • Holly's Secret
  • The Widows’ Cafe
  • The School for Cats
  • Pagan's Daughter (Pagan Chronicles, #5)
  • 365 Days
  • Panteón II: Génesis (Memorias de Idhún, #6)
  • Rosemary and Juliet
  • Black Taxi
  • Hände weg von Mississippi
  • Rain Song
  • El secreto de Lucía Morke
  • Angeline
  • The Wolf
  • Little Jordan Ray's Muddy Spud
  • Cuando el amor despierta (Los tres mosqueteros, #2)
Henning Mankell was an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He was best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell split his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He was married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...

Joel Gustafsson (4 books)
  • A Bridge to the Stars