Start by marking “Journey to the End of the World” as Want to Read:
Journey to the End of the World

Journey to the End of the World (Joel Gustafsson #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Now that he's getting older, Joel Gustafson has a lot to consider. His birthday is next month. He'll be fifteen, and he can't stop thinking about the new liberties that come with being fifteen: he'll be allowed to ride a moped, and he'll no longer need to sneak into the cinema to see an adults-only film. And maybe his father will finally agree to leave their small Swedish ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Journey to the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to the End of the World

Selene
This book... how can I begin to describe it? I started reading it, by chance, a week away from my high school graduation. Quickly, I read the first two parts. I loved every character, each seen through the eyes of Joel. Gertrude, Simon, Samuel, Sara... They were all dear to me, and in my heart I felt like I loved them as much as Joel did.

Then came the third book. In this one, Joel is growing up. He starts leaving his childish things behind. Gertrude, the dog, the imaginations.. he wants to be t
Daniel Buitrago
Henning Mankell, aparte de habitar este mundo para hacer de él algo mucho mejor, no deja de ser un magnífico escritor, ¡y prolífico!

En los noventa se dedicó, aparte de a sus creaciones policíacas, a los 'lectores jóvenes'. Estos días estoy con las dos piezas que me restaban para completar su tetralogía de Joel, dentro de la piel de este preadolescente que vive en una aldea de crudos inviernos entre bosques suecos. Junto a su padre, un leñador que antes fue marinero, sueña con hacerse algún día d
Jo Bennie
15 year old Joel Gustafson lives with his lumberjack father Samuel in the far north of Sweden, so far north that it snows on his graduation day in June. Joel cooks for his father, his mother Mummy Jenny left when he was only a baby. Samuel and Joel spend hours poring over world maps together dreaming of this time Joel will be old enough to leave school and sign on as a sailor, and they can sail away from the cold north together. But then a letter for Samuel arrives telling him where Mummy Jenny ...more
Chris Kostenko
When I heard that this was the last book in a series of books for young adults, I didn't know what to think. Wasn't in the mood for a kid's book; I wasn't disappointed.

If this was a coming of age book, maybe it was just what I was looking for. Joel is beginning a new life at fifteen, and so am I at 63. I enjoyed this book, in the same way I look forward to enjoying my journey to the end of the world.

I love to read Henning Mankell; this book came at the right time and pleased me. Immensely.

ck
Alcheme
El libro compila los cuatro libros de la serie que narra el paso de la infancia a la juventud de Joel, un niño que vive con su padre en un pequeño pueblo rural de Suecia. Realmente está bien narrado, las aventuras ocurren sin extravagancias, podría pasarte a ti....
En general las historias de paso, de fin de la niñez, me dejan un poco triste. Sé que se inicia otra vida, pero la nostalgia del tiempo pasado me ataca...
Es un buen libro, con una buena historia.
Izzy C
Loved the end to the Joel Gustaffason stories. A fitting conclusion, sad and emotional, a great deal more emotive than the book before When The Snow Fell.
Lilithkrakatoa
Es tan triste que hace llorar. Joder, y ya pa' triste la vida.
Mariana
A awesome end to a wonderful coming-of-age series.
Catherine Harnden Howell
Catherine Harnden Howell is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
Juliuz Kmbranes
Juliuz Kmbranes marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Bookaholic
Bookaholic marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Stephanie Swensson
Stephanie Swensson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Mar 06, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jacqis
Jacqis marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Annie H
Annie H marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Destiny N
Destiny N marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Ann Nicks
Ann Nicks marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Fiona Wyse
Fiona Wyse marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Dog
  • "There Are Things I Want You to Know" about Stieg Larsson and Me
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • Walking Naked
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Kokoda
  • Pagan's Daughter (Pagan Chronicles, #5)
  • The Priest of Evil (Harjunpää #10)
  • Black Taxi
  • El secreto de Lucía Morke
  • Rosemary and Juliet
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Number 8
  • Tríada II: Predestinación (Memorias de Idhún, #4)
  • Der Gesang der Orcas
  • Finding H.F.
  • The Man in the Rubber Mask
  • There Will Be Wolves
Henning Mankell is an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He is best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell splits his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He is married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...

Joel Gustafsson (4 books)
  • A Bridge to the Stars
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • When the Snow Fell
Faceless Killers (Wallander #1) The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6) Sidetracked (Wallander #5) The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2) The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)