Start by marking “Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)” as Want to Read:

Just as the monarchy has been hereditary in many countries, so insanity has been hereditary in many monarchs. Here are 2,000 years of crazy kings and potty potentates, including such infamous characters as Caligula and Vlad the Impaler.
Published March 1st 2005 by Anova Books

To ask other readers questions about Royalty's Strangest Characters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Royalty's Strangest Characters

Lori
Oct 29, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of fun, interesting historical stories to read. It's amazing how many lunatic leaders are or were out there (though I guess not really...) The book goes in chronological order up to present day, providing stories from around the globe. Loved it!
Nov 16, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone looking for a book that requires little concentration
Shelves: history
A quick, interesting read.

Not for those interested in truly learning history, as no references are given. This book reads almost like a tabloid newspaper. Interesting and fun, but not reliable in the least.

Also frustrating were some of the unnecessary comments the author added in a failed attempt at humor.

Although poorly written and lacking editing, this book was the perfect book to read while spending a sick day at home. Not much concentration was needed, each story was relatively short, and t
Diana
Dec 09, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
Short vignettes exposing the eccentricities and madness of various rulers throughout history.

I was familiar with some of these rulers, but others were new to me. I really enjoyed the book, and found myself reading through the stories quickly. The only thing I didn't quite like was the sometimes odd comparisons to modern concepts, which felt out of place within the book.
C.A. Gray
Nov 09, 2014 C.A. Gray rated it it was ok
I stopped reading this about 1/3 of the way through just because while the title says "strangest," it really means "cruelest" (and I don't particularly enjoy reading about torture in graphic detail.) One thing's for sure, it's an answer to people who say our world NOW is a mess!
Jenny
May 22, 2017 Jenny rated it it was ok
I usually like the gossipy, informal nature of books liek this, but this one had too many very forced puns.
Katherine
Aug 12, 2012 Katherine rated it it was ok
When I read the description of this on Amazon, I thought it sounded like it would be an interesting read. Now that I've finished it, I can say that I found it gossipy, and I really don't know whether to believe some of the claims in it. Anyway, an entertaining read, but not something I would take into a history class.
Kathryn
Jun 08, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history nuts, royalty nuts, biography nuts
Shelves: history, favorites
I loved this book!
The author relays history as though telling a story, which is the only real way I can read history books without getting bored.
There were points when I had to take a break but that happens with all books that are essentially huge info-dumps.
جاسم كلمد
ممل في أغلبه، وذلك يعود لطريقة سرد صاحب الكتاب. رغم ما تحتويه سيرة هؤلاء الملوك، والأمراء، من تفاصيل مدهشة، إلا أنها مرت عليّ بشكل عادي. باستثناء ثلاث منهم أو أربع.. لا تجازفوا باقتنائه، عوضًا عن ذلك أجد من الأفضل قراءة سيرهم على حدة
Galuh Indri
Aug 18, 2015 Galuh Indri rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
I remember reading this in my junior high years and I instantly love it. The dark tales tends to attract me more.
Mindi Geouge
Mindi Geouge rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Midgetbee
Midgetbee rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Heather Poinsett Dunbar
Heather Poinsett Dunbar rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2009
Tabatha Rose
Tabatha Rose rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Mariessa
Mariessa rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Lady Jane Grey
Lady Jane Grey rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
May 18, 2010
Karen Crawford
Karen Crawford rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Jaretta
Jaretta rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Pat Smith
Pat Smith rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2014
brenda
brenda rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Nona
Nona rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Barb Pins
Barb Pins rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
k reeves
k reeves rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Jacqueline Fleming
Jacqueline Fleming rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories of History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
  • The Portable Obituary: How the Famous, Rich, and Powerful Really Died
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Mad Kings & Queens
  • The Great Pretenders: The True Stories Behind Famous Historical Mysteries
  • The Habsburgs: Embodying Empire
  • Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III
  • The Uncrowned Kings of England: The Black History of the Dudleys and the Tudor Throne
  • My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliott, Royal Courtesan