Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Just as the monarchy has been hereditary in many countries, so insanity has been hereditary in many monarchs. Here are 2,000 years of crazy kings and potty potentates, including such infamous characters as Caligula and Vlad the Impaler.
Published March 1st 2005 by Anova Books

Diana
Short vignettes exposing the eccentricities and madness of various rulers throughout history.

I was familiar with some of these rulers, but others were new to me. I really enjoyed the book, and found myself reading through the stories quickly. The only thing I didn't quite like was the sometimes odd comparisons to modern concepts, which felt out of place within the book.
Lori
This book had a lot of fun, interesting historical stories to read. It's amazing how many lunatic leaders are or were out there (though I guess not really...) The book goes in chronological order up to present day, providing stories from around the globe. Loved it!
Nov 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone looking for a book that requires little concentration
Shelves: history
A quick, interesting read.

Not for those interested in truly learning history, as no references are given. This book reads almost like a tabloid newspaper. Interesting and fun, but not reliable in the least.

Also frustrating were some of the unnecessary comments the author added in a failed attempt at humor.

Although poorly written and lacking editing, this book was the perfect book to read while spending a sick day at home. Not much concentration was needed, each story was relatively short, and t...more
Katherine
When I read the description of this on Amazon, I thought it sounded like it would be an interesting read. Now that I've finished it, I can say that I found it gossipy, and I really don't know whether to believe some of the claims in it. Anyway, an entertaining read, but not something I would take into a history class.
Aya
Interesting read on the lives of monarchs from caligula to Prince Phillip.
Jessika Rov
Jessika Rov marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Juliew.
Juliew. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Carl Hansen
Carl Hansen marked it as to-read
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lis  Le Blanc
Lis Le Blanc marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Paige Barry
Paige Barry marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Wisdom Web Networking
Wisdom Web Networking marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kate Nelsen
Kate Nelsen is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Stacy Herbstreit
Stacy Herbstreit marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ashlee Vanasse
Ashlee Vanasse marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Clarissa Earwood
Clarissa Earwood marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Elke
Elke marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Diana H.
Diana H. marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Dixie Downs
Dixie Downs marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
905_schrama
905_schrama marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
  • Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • Behind the Palace Doors: Five Centuries of Sex, Adventure, Vice, Treachery, and Folly from Royal Britain
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
  • Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
  • The Secret Wife of Louis XIV: Françoise d'Aubigné, Madame de Maintenon
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • Genius and Heroin: The Illustrated Catalogue of Creativity, Obsession, and Reckless Abandon Through the Ages
  • Katherine Swynford: The History of a Medieval Mistress
  • Women's Lives in Medieval Europe: A Sourcebook
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • The Lady Queen: The Notorious Reign of Joanna I, Queen of Naples, Jerusalem, and Sicily
  • Arbella: England's Lost Queen
  • The Reluctant Empress
The Remarkable...Revealed Ripley's Believe It or Not! Strikingly True Prepare to Be Shocked Voices from the Titanic: The Epic Story of the Tragedy from the People Who Were There Ripley's Believe It or Not! Enter If You Dare!