Start by marking “Tanglewood Tales: For Girls and Boys” as Want to Read:
Tanglewood Tales: For Girls and Boys

Tanglewood Tales: For Girls and Boys (Wonder-Books #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This ed
Published August 15th 1999 by Tor Classics (first published 1851)

To ask other readers questions about Tanglewood Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tanglewood Tales

GoldGato
This is a delightful edition of Hawthorne's Greek mythology for young readers. With a heavy cloth imprint, 150 gsm premium paper, and the 1920s illustrations from Virginia Frances Sterrett, this is one of those books that takes pride-of-place on the bookshelf. Essentially a reprint of the 1921 Penn Publishing volume, this is a win-win for youngster and adult alike.

Mr. Hawthorne wrote these tales as a way to have the myths explained for younger ears. And I do mean "ears" as these stories are mean
Kristel
Today, Nathaniel Hawthorne, former United States consul to Great Britain, is remembered more for his literary masterpieces like The Scarlet Letter and The House of Seven Gables, less for his contribution to children’s literature. First published in 1853, this story is a sequel to a popular book called A Wonder Book. In both books Hawthorne retells Greek myths and covers the tales of the Minotaur, Pgymies, dragon’s teeth, Circe’s palace, pomegranate seeds, and Golden Fleece in this narrative. Haw ...more
Frankie
This rare edition was a gift from my good friends Kevin and Erin, and is a sequel to The Wonder Book which I have yet to read. It's strange to see children's stories from the author of The Scarlet Letter and other somewhat morally-troubling novels. His goal here was to introduce Greek mythology in a palatable and slightly less violent form to children. Perhaps it was also to soften his "image" with his readership, which would explain the fictitiously framed narrator.

The story "Minotaur" is based
Kimber Hansen
I have always loved Mythology and I have always enjoyed Hawthorn's writing. To have Hawthorn re-writing a few stories is a joy indeed!

This book went all too quickly. If it weren't for four children in the household at that time I probably would have completed this book in one day.

For some light reading and much enjoyment I highly recommend this book.
astrangerhere
I've read most of Hawthorne's other stories and this was a disappointment. It was the dumbing down of a few myths and generally a bleak and borng book of not-so-very fairy tales for kids. The language was clearly stilted, perhaps because Hawthorne was trying to reign in his verbosity for a younger audience.
Rob
This was my first exposure to the Greek myths. I realize Hawthorne takes much license, but he managed to capture my imagination, and, given the myth aficionado I am today, I don't think it harmed me. Those who know me, of course, may disagree. No matter: I imperiously ZOT them all.
Marissa Martin
I didn't rate this because I chose to walk away from it. I won't say it was bad - the writing was fine. I just tend to prefer my fairy tales and myths with all the dark edges and dirty bits, so the cleanup wasn't to my taste. Hawthorne's child-proofing of the myths goes so far that he makes Ariadne stay with her father out of filial devotion, rather than running off with Theseus. I also found the use of Roman deity names in Greek myths annoying. While these may seem superficial reasons to walk a ...more
Patrick
What I learned...

I learned that, for this book, Hawthorne deserves to go to that part of hell reserved for those who ruin a story in the retelling. The people responsible for the Disney HERCULES belong there as well, along with those who created Clash of the Titans.

My main problem is with the fact that he tires to make the greek myths APPROPRIATE FOR KIDS! That's the fun of them, reading them when you're a kid, and then years later, realizing..."Holy crap, those Greeks had some sick myths!"

He
Makayla
I loved this book and you will too if you love Greek Mythology. As soon as my grandma told me this book had Greek Mythology I quickly snatched it from her hands. I was able to quickly get into the book after the prologue(which confused me a little).

My favorite chapter was "The Pomegranate Seeds" which is a similar to the familiar story of Hades and Persephone but, is enriched with more detail and different characters. I just love a story with a good kidnapping scene, I don't know why but I do.
Greg
"For fuck's sake, tell me why I can't be without you?!" I said nothing, just gave her a kiss on the fore-head. I knew she wouldn't stay away long, and I had waited. "Read me a fairy-tale, I need to sleep", still mad at me. I laughed, easy and content. "Ok", I said, smiling at us. "I don't know what's funny for you." Still mad, still fierce and silly all over. "Close your eyes", I commanded.

Hawthorne was the closest thing I had to a fairy-tale. I tried Kipling the first time she asked, and she to
John Lucy
All I will say is that Hawthorne is such a sneakily good re-teller of old myths and legends that it really is quite enjoyable. Kids and adults should find this collection of stories, which can read straight through as a novel because of the thread that Hawthorne weaves (the supposed story that he is the editor of some college student's stories), will find plenty in which to delight.

I do recommend first reading "A Wonder Book for Girls and Boys." Not that it matters or anything, but you might fee
Bruce
Beautifully illustrated and bound, this volume of retold classical myths, suffers from Hawthorne’s infantilization of his young audience and dummying down of the text. His style, so elegant and arch in his adult works, turns to saccharine mush as he talks down to children.
Betty
You have to accept the archaic language, and the fact that Hawthorne felt free to alter the stories to make them, in his mind, more suitable for children. Once I got past these two issues, I enjoyed the book very much. But I think its appeal is pretty limited, and that it's not a book that most children would enjoy today.
Mark
I've put off reading Hawthorne's collections for children for the longest time but finally picked this one up on a rainy day. The didacticism that sabotages many of Hawthorne's works for adults is present here but seems appropriate in the context of tales told to children in part to teach them life lessons. The retellings of the ancient myths and legends are spry and clear-eyed, even if the "meta" frame of the New England storyteller and his interactions with his young audience is often too prec ...more
Rebecca
Still my favorite collection of Greek myths - Hawthorne's language is beautiful and helps to convey the majesty of the tales.
Katja Nielsen
I really liked this book! I love the Greek Myths but often find them rather difficult to get through. And that is where this book comes in and saves the day. I just want to read more!
Lilium
The book was ok in general, however I really hated the fact that it was so heavily censored and simplified. I found Hawthorne's storytelling pretty amusing, and some parts are really funny, but in general I don't think it's good for the people who don't know the true version of greek myths to read it as it will give them a lot of wrong impressions. I hated the Golden Fleece story, as it was censored the most and ended so abruptly that even if I didn't know the real version I would be really disa ...more
Leah Eggimann
I rather enjoyed this book as more of a light read for my free time. I understand that Hawthorn meant this book to be a children's story book, but I imagined these fantastic fairy tales. I didn't like how hawthorn dumbed-down his writings. I feel like that dumbing down the writing really made the stories feel lazy. Other then that, I did enjoy the books. I love Hawthorns writing style and descriptive language. I would suggest this book for whenever you need something light to read.
Chris
Thoroughly enjoyable retelling of Greek myths and would be great as a read-aloud book for children (probably 6 and up). Hawthorne manages to weave in some moral lessons on courage, selflessness, and self-mastery without being too didactic. I enjoyed the first of the two books better, but taken as a whole, it was a great read.
Michael
Every kid should read this when they're growing up. One of the great children's books.
Krisette Spangler
Nathaniel Hawthorne rewrote some of the classic Roman myths in language that children could understand. This version has beautiful illustrations, and I would recommend reading it with your children. It includes the stories of Jason and the Golden Fleece, Theseus and the Minotaur, and other classic mythology.

He also wrote A Wonder Book for Boys and Girls, which is also a book of mythology written for children.
This sequel to Hawthorne's The Wonder Book also retells popular tales from Greek myth in fun and engaging ways. Designed for children, some of the more salacious details are left out, but there's still plenty of adventure and slaying of mythical beasts. A solidly entertaining collection of classical mythology.
I read this aloud to the girls. It was nice to read something so well written for a change. The language was wonderful and the retelling of the greek myths included in the book was interesting because the story of Circe (from the Odyssey) was the only one with which I was very familiar.
Rebecca
While these tales were written for children, Hawthorne nails the reader's attention by embellishing the characters and with wonderful prose. Yes, there are a lot of "liberties" taken with these stories, they are very good. Fun and timeless. Worth every minute.
Courtney

5) Circe's Palace
6) The Pomegranate Seeds
7) The Golden Fleece
Jeniann
This is a little book of Greek myths put into readable and fun terms for children. I am not generally interested in mythology, but this was a fun read.
Chris
Hawthorne retells well known Greek myths in wonderful prose. The reader does feel he or she is at the Wayside Inn listening to the stories.
Vivencio
enjoyed these tales as a boy so i didn't hesitate when i saw a copy @ the secondhand bookstore. will pass this on to my nephews and nieces.
dead letter office
Apr 11, 2008 dead letter office rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to dead letter office by: parents
i was totally enthralled by this book from the time i was about 5 years old (when it was read to me--repeatedly) onward.
  • Joan of Arc
  • Don't Open This Book
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • A Whisper in the Dark
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told T
More about Nathaniel Hawthorne...

Wonder-Books (3 books)
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • A Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales
The Scarlet Letter The House of the Seven Gables Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories Young Goodman Brown The Minister's Black Veil