The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Everyday Financial Questions

The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Everyday Financial Questions

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  66 reviews

This quick and simple, question and answer book is the perfect resource for equipping individuals with key information about everyday money matters. Questions and answers deal with 100+ of the most-asked questions from The Dave Ramsey Show-everything from budget planning to retirement planning or personal buying matters, to saving for college and charitable giving. This is

Published (first published January 17th 2005)

Kristin
Read this in preparation for a Relief Society finance activity I am helping with next month and wanted to get more ideas about what the focus should be. The format was nice - a question on each page and then a short and concise answer. I dog eared a good number of pages as I read....things I want to talk to my husband about and things I want to remember. I liked his 7 baby steps in this order: $1000 in an emergency fund, pay off all debt except house, 3-6 months expenses in savings, 15% into ret...more
Kim
I you are a married, sexist, Christian father who is outrageously in debt and lacking common sense, this book might be helpful. Otherwise all but a few of the answers will be pretty useless.
Pastoralmusings
Got questions about money? The Money Answer Book probably has the answer.
Subtitled “Quick answers for your everyday financial questions”, The Money Answer Book will be of great help for someone who is needing to find an answer to their questions about the day to day money matters.
Dave Ramsey has promoted the emergency fund, paying off debt via the debt snowball, and encouraged saving and investing for retirement for quite a while now. His hard-hitting, no punches pulled style of speaking is seen...more
Steph
There isn't much more that Dave Ramsey can write about on the world of conservative finances. "The Money Answer Book" is a condensed version of "The Total Money Makeover." While its title lends one to believe that the book actually answers questions, many of his responses are, "Just don't do it!", which doesn't actually answer the question being presented. I'm a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and his ultra-conservative, you-did-this-to-yourself approach to getting out of debt, but giving good, honest a...more
Leona Olson
The Money Answer Book by Dave Ramsey
The Money Answer Book by Dave Ramsey.
Great books for all ages. I requested this book because I have heard Dave Ramsey on the radio and I have seen him on the Fox Business Network.
A short but simple book on managing your money and how to do it. Follow the money rules and you should be able to make it. Dave Ramsey is against spending more than you have and does not like the use of credit cards.
There are chapters for debt, saving and investing, automobiles, insu...more
Title: THE MONEY ANSWER BOOK
Author: Dave Ramsey
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
May 2010
ISBN: 978-1-4041-8779-5
Genre: Money/finances

Dave Ramsey has been the top financial advisor in the world for decades. Millions listened to his radio broadcasts or went to his organization to have help in getting out of debt.

In THE MONEY ANSWER BOOK, Mr. Ramsey has taken his most asked questions and addressed them. These include:

Debt, Credit and Bankruptcy
Relationships and Money
Budgeting
Saving & Investing
Stewardshi...more
Michelle Padrelanan
In this age of economic downturn, it is very important to our lives and our future that we make the best decisions regarding our finances. Being a good steward of our resources is one of the Bible’s most important lessons. Unfortunately, most of us don’t know / don’t understand much about taking good care of our finances.

The Money Answer Book – Quick Answers for Your Everyday Financial Questions by Dave Ramsey is a very informative book on finances. Dave Ramsey honestly and fearlessly gives us d...more
This little book of quick facts is going with me to every coaching session. I highlighted portions that I am most likely to reference and am really looking forward to using this as a coaching resource.

Do not start with this book if you're looking for a solid, comprehensive, financial foundation. It's designed to briefly reference what you've already studied about the major financial chapters in your life (debt, saving, mortgages) via other books like "Total Money Makeover" or "Financial Peace Re...more
Krista
I am a BIG Dave Ramsey fan. Brian and I have read several of his other books and wholeheartedly agree with his financial advice.

We have used the debt snowball technique to pay off our debt and we have no credit cards!! Dave has literally changed the way we think about money.

This particular book gives answers to a lot of questions people have about finances. Even though I have read all of his other books, I sill learned a TON of information I did not know before. I was amazed at how quickly I re...more
Frank Coleman
So yeah...I don't think I'll be reading any more Ramsey books. Just not for me. I didn't like his tone. The vibe I get from him is 'here is my view, if you disagree you're an idiot/not smart'. He also sensationalizes numbers in order to make a point. For example: he said 'the average car payment is $378/month...if you put $378/month in a growth stock fund from the age of 25-65 you'd have $4.4 million!!' Um, he compared paying $378/month for 5 years to investing $378/month for FORTY YEARS! Also h...more
Ethan Fleck
Not a bad, quick read, a little dated. If you've already read some of his other books, you can probably skip this. If this is your first book by Dave Ramsey, it's a pretty easy introduction into the basics.
Dupsie Oriyomi
The book was very interesting and even though I am not a christian, there were some really good advice in this book. However, there were a couple of things I don't agree with and I'm guessing it is because of dave ramsey's belief, he says not to marry someone who wants a prenuptial agreement. Well if I had tons of money, I will definietly insist of my partner signing up for a pre nup.

He also advises against have separate accounts and claims you should only have joint accounts as a couple. Well...more
Kristen
A quick read. Good supplement to Dave's other books. I would suggest starting first with Financial Peace Revisited and Total Money Makeover.
Diane Cole
Great resource

Dave's book has provided concrete steps and advice to really give us a kick start into getting out of debt and planning for the future. I look forward to tackling each of the baby steps and a few giant leaps.
A Leah
Great tips, but the religious aspect gets annoying.
Xergio
It presents all of Ramsey's main points in a very concise, fast paced way. His ideas boiled down to the main elements, with all the trimmings removed (stories, jokes, anecdotes). Presented in a question an answer format is a good intro to Ramsey's program. I am no financial whiz, but his live below your means, pay your debts, have an emergency fund and save for the future seem pretty common sense and appropriate to me.
Makamae
Its a pretty straight forward, common sense type book. Although if you have problems with finances, it might be a good book to read. There wasn't anything in there too enlightening for me. A lot of it I already knew. Some things I disagreed with (very few). He also includes God & tithing in there, which I know some people might not agree with (I agree with it, I'm just saying others might not).
Kelsey
Dave Ramsey is incredibly consistent in his advice, so this book really has the same information as all of his other books, just in a different format. This book is in question/answer format, and actually does give more detailed advice for questions such as "My spouse keeps over spending our budget. What can I do to make it stop?"
Melissa
Dave Ramsey is a really great financial advisor - but his philosophy and plan are the same throughout all his books. I recommend reading Financial Freedom, and that is all you need to know. This book was just a shortened version of Financial Freedom written in the format of questions and answers. I didn't learn anything new.
Stephanie
If you know absolutely nothing about finances you will probably learn something from this book. It's basically the cliff notes of learning how to handle your money and plan for retirement. I never would have imagined a financial help book would contain a lot about God and the importance of giving your money away though.
Cam
I wanted to brush up on the Dave Ramsey plan (now that we're finally getting some income and making some goals!) and this little money book was great. A quick read and full of great snippets of information. You will be excited to make a budget if you read any of his books. I highly recommend them.
Carissa
Great advice! I have already read about some of the topics already on Dave's website and other places, but it's always good to go back over it. I really enjoyed the chapters over retirement, insurance, and wills. I learned a lot of new information. Very short book, but well worth the read.
Jeremiah
For easy Q&A over a bowl of morning cereal, this book is a great read for the many financial questions we all have. Dave is a wise man who is very down-to-earth, funny and battle-hardened by some pretty stupid financial decisions he made in his twenties...been there too.
Andrea
Aug 17, 2008 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone struggling with their finances.
This is a quick read. It's well organized, making it easy to quickly find answers to your questions. Dave Ramsey does assume the reader has some familiarity with his ideas, but you can always look up his website or read The Total Money Makeover for more detailed information.
Shannon
Great reference guide to simple money questions. He covers everything from saving to investing to buying a car. They're really just short answers so you would probably need to read his other books for more in-depth guidance or books on that specific subject.
Margaret
This is a great little question/answer book with a variety of financial topics covered including investing, budgeting, purchasing automobiles, housing expenses, college expense, etc. It's presented in a very straight-forward way and is an easy read.
Emily
Not that much new material here. I read it in an hour, and I think he wrote it in a day. But I'm sure it would be more helpful as a quick reference if I didn't take the time to read his more expanded version, "Total Money Makeover."
Ryan Grothouse
Had some good insights. Short chapters and short answers. A quick read to get you in the financial frame of mind. I did have more questions than answers after reading some of it... so I will be moving to his Total Money Makeover soon.
Robin
Quick answers is right - I read this in about 30 minutes. Full of short answers to popular personal finance questions. I'd say skip this book and just read his "Total Money Makeover" - the same information, but more developed.
Donna
The information is not that different than from what you learn from his show or his Total Money Makeover Book. Though there were a couple of questions – such as regarding adoption – that I hadn’t heard addressed before.
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Gazelles, Baby Steps and 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me about Debt
  • With God in Russia
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • Life Management for Busy Women: Living Out God's Plan with Passion & Purpose
  • Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss
  • The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs
  • The Journey: Living by Faith in an Uncertain World
  • Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
  • Stop Acting Rich... and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Next Door Savior
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness Financial Peace Revisited EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University

“The German root word for “debt” is the same as for “guilt.” 0 likes