Start by marking “Shmirshky: The Pursuit of Hormone Happiness” as Want to Read:
Shmirshky: The  Pursuit of Hormone Happiness

Shmirshky: The Pursuit of Hormone Happiness

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
“Informative, engaging, and hilarious!”
—Sarah Brokaw, author of Fortytude

Hot flashes flashing you awake at 3 a.m.? Forgetting the names of your very own children? Don’t worry—E, the author of Shmirshky, understands how you feel.

Shmirshky is the first book of its kind—a guide to women’s midlife changes that’s quick, easy, and full of love! Reading Shmirshky is like having c
Published January 18th 2011 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Shmirshky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shmirshky

Anne
Sep 08, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
I'm saving the fifth star for when I finish...
______________

I love it when I pick up a book and I become part of the story. Reading Shmirshky is like being with your girlfriends, having drinks, and talking about all those things you're not supposed to talk about. It's not a book you read; it's a book that reads to you!

UPDATE 2/19/2011

Shmirshky is a wonderful book for all women. At some point we will all experience the dreaded menopause, but not everyone will experience it in the same manner or
Sam
Jan 20, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
New Book! This one is a little bit out of my "normal" reads, LOL, but informative nonetheless. It's about women who are going through menopause, and pre-menopause. I'm a bit young for this now, but it is good to know what's to come! It's not like people discuss this stuff on the regular- though maybe they should. If all women go through some kind of menopausal issues- why not at least understand what's going on?

It's a but much at times- the author is trying really hard to be funny and witty, and
Lei
May 14, 2011 Lei rated it really liked it
For any woman going through, or about to go through, menopause this book is one I would suggest reading. It is loaded with tons of information on anything and everything imaginable related to the topic of menopause. This book was a very quick read considering the amount of information covered, although a few of the chapters were a bit of a struggle only due to extreme medical content.
Jennie
Jan 03, 2011 Jennie rated it it was amazing
For my complete review and a chance to win an autographed copy & prize pack, visit my blog: http://www.sweeptight.com/2011/01/rev...

Ok, let me start off by saying that I am 32 years old, so I hope I have several years before I have to deal with menopause. However, I decided to read this book because I have always been a hormonal mess and I also have lot of women in my life who have/are/will be going through the change.

Hormones can seriously run a woman’s life. For me they do, at least. I rec
Janette Fuller
Sep 20, 2011 Janette Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is very different from the typical book about menopause. It will have you laughing out loud while you read about a subject that many women tend to sweep under the rug.
A "shmirshky" is a playful name for a "vagina" and is used for all women who own one. All women both have and are shmirshkies. An "erlick" is a playful term for a "penis" and all men who own one are erlicks.

The author states that she is a shmirshky who has struggled with perimenopause and menopause. "E" states that when
Kristi Bernard
Sep 11, 2011 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing

The very first thing I wanted to know when I opened this book is what is Shmirshky. Well, it is Dolgen's nickname for a woman’s privates. We all have nicknames but Shmirshky is not just a name but a symbol or representation of all women who are experiencing menopause. Everything you would ever want to know about menopause is in this book. It was very thought provoking and educational for me to read this. I didn't know what was happening to me and Dolgen covers every aspect of the symptoms, how t
Kristi Bernard
Jan 20, 2011 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very first thing I wanted to know when I opened this book is what is Shmirshky. Well, it is Dolgen's nickname for a womans privates. We all have nicknames but Shmirshky is not just a name but a symbol or representation of all women who are experiencing menopause. Everything you would ever want to know about menopause is in this book. It was very thought provoking and educational for me to read this. I didn't know what was happening to me and Dolgen covers every aspect of the symptoms, how to ...more
Diane
May 15, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every woman and the people who love her
Recommended to Diane by: My husband
Great book if you are approaching "that time in your life" or know someone who is. My husband saw this on a TV show and told me that I needed to get it!!! I wouldn't admit it to him but, it was well worth the money. Unfortunately, in this day and age not many people like to talk about menopause, so this book gives you facts you may or may not know, but it's much more than a teaching book. It is funny and probably the best book on the market that deals with peri-menopause and menopause (see, I di ...more
Lenore Webb
Jan 31, 2011 Lenore Webb rated it really liked it
Shmirshky: woman's health

Ellen Sarver Dolgen (who goes by the pen name "E," which stands for everyone) tells us all about our "shmirshky". E's playful codeword for vagina and the women who possess them. It's just a matter of time before we all will need the understanding, support and crucial information that Shmirshky (pronounced SHMERSH-KEY) provides in the author's funny, engaging and easy-to-read style.

I laughed out loud so many times while reading this that my Dear Hubby wanted to know if th
Christina Richardson
Feb 14, 2014 Christina Richardson rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny and very informative. I wish there was another in this style for my daughter who is entering puberty. I shared it with my doc today and told her to read it ASAP!
Eliza Fayle
Jan 09, 2013 Eliza Fayle rated it it was amazing
Ladies! You have to read the book Shmirshky, by E. And then you have to get your spouse, children, and anyone else who deals with Perimenopausal/Menopausal You to read it.

Warning: do not read this book on the bus. You will laugh out loud many times and risk looking odd.

I have read many books on perimenopause and menopause. Most very well written, but none of them just tell it like it is with quite the same boldness. Be it the good, the bad, or the outright bitchface.

To read the full review visit
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 05, 2010 Jennifer Melzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given the opportunity to read and review Shmirshky for Twirlit.com. As a woman approaching mid-thirties, I know that PM&M is just around the corner. Reading this book was like sitting down with someone you know and trust, and talking about what she went through. Highly recommended for all women, as we are all destined to endure the dreaded PM&M.
Belinda
Jan 23, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, witty book on a subject that happens to all women. This book is packed full of advice that explains what is going on in women’s bodies and minds and what you can do about it. This book is also great for your family and friends, so that they can not only understand what is happening, but be supportive.
Aarthi
Jan 30, 2012 Aarthi rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I liked her funny and novel approach to the topic of menopause/ perimenopause. I guess I couldn't appreciate it more because I'm not there yet. Maybe when I pick it up in another five years' time, I might feel like she has written the book exactly for me. Good read.
Michelle Morkel
May 24, 2015 Michelle Morkel rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Short, easy to read and funny. I finished this in a day. For these kind of books, I have always felt that if I can get away with 1 or 2 things that helped, it's good enough. And I think I did. Other than that, it was entertaining and made me feel good!
Susan
Feb 22, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for us women to read and maybe a curious man.
We (women) must remember that we are truly not alone in what happens to us all as we grow older and hopefully wiser and more aware of our bodies.
Barbara
Oct 02, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Good intro to the world of PM/M ... funny and has basic info. Must read some other books to get the real details you will ultimately need though.
Holly
Apr 27, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Women and the Men who love them
Recommended to Holly by: CURIOSITY
Fantastic, informative, funny as hell! If you have tits and shmirshky You must read this treasure of the Goddess!
Rhonda
Apr 14, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Humorous, yet helpful, book on the subject of perimenopause, menopause, and postmenopause.
Roxanne
Apr 03, 2013 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Great information that educates in a fun way.
Alexei
Alexei rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Jane E Siann
Jane E Siann rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Maggie Guerra
Maggie Guerra marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Leanne hutchinson
Leanne hutchinson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Tammy Crawford
Tammy Crawford rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016