Start by marking “Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa” as Want to Read:
Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa

Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa

Li'l Rabbit is not having a very good Kwanzaa. Granna Rabbit is sick, and so his family won't celebrate his favorite part of Kwanzaa this year: a big feast called Karamu.

Li'l Rabbit knows what to do! He'll find Granna Rabbit a special treat for Karamu so she can celebrate anyway.

He looks under a pile of logs, in the field, and in the pond and along the way meets Groundhog,
Published September 28th 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published October 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa

Mariah
Dec 07, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it
My students really enjoyed the illustrations of this book. At times the book felt like it dragged on.
Regina
As the holidays grew nearer, I was trying to find some books that went beyond the usual Christmas stories. I was very glad to find this one. In a non-textbook style, the author finds a way to introduce the principles of Kwanzaa to children in a way that grows as the story moves along. Beautifully vivid illustrations capture the afro-centric nature of the tale, and colorful characters are interesting to look at even without reading the words.
Li’l Rabbit is the youngest in his family. Because of h
Margaux
Dec 14, 2016 Margaux rated it it was amazing
Lovely illustrations, and the story doesn't feel like it's outright telling you about the holiday, which is nice.
Baby Bookworm
Dec 20, 2016 Baby Bookworm rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Happy Holidays Week, Day 2: Hello, everyone! Our book today is Li’l Rabbit’s Kwanzaa, written by Donna L. Washington and illustrated by Shane W. Evans, a sweet tale about a rabbit who learns the true meaning of the Nguzo Saba, or Seven Principles of Kwanzaa.

L’il Rabbit is not having the best Kwanzaa; he simply can’t find a good way to contribute to the celebrations like his parents or siblings. To make matters worse, his mother is busy caring for his sick Granna Rabbit, so she won’t have time to
Dione Basseri
Aug 25, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
I don't celebrate Kwanzaa, so I can't attest to the accuracy of this book, but the section in the back which describes the holiday and its core components seems to be a good primer for little kids. Double-check with more knowledgeable sources, but I think this would be a good book for kindergarten or first graders to learn about a less visible winter holiday.

Li'l Rabbit is disappointed that Kwanzaa this year will be subdued, since his grandmother is sick. He decides to bring her a gift to make h
Kacie Kirk
Mar 23, 2015 Kacie Kirk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This would be a great book to have in the classroom when learning about different religions and holidays and especially a good book if you have a student that does celebrate this holiday. This book also talks about how a community can come together for someone that is hurting. Sometimes the thing that someone can do, is to be the leader to bring everyone together which is what Lil Rabbit does. He needs help to find the perfect present for his grandmother which he does unknowingly by bringing eve ...more
Brooke
Jan 27, 2014 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I got it to share with my mum who does story telling. All the characters are animals, making the holiday accessible to people of any background -- yet those who already know something about the celebration will recognize the African influences. L'il Rabbit will appeal to those who've been the baby of the family. The last pages explain Kwanzaa principles and events demonstrated in the story, allowing for review of the story and some critical thinking. The major themes of the st ...more
Sara
Dec 21, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
This is a good choice of a read-aloud to introduce young students to Kwanzaa. They can all relate to the little rabbit's feeling too little to do anything, to his love for his grandmother and wanting to do something to make her feel better, and they love all of the different animals that he talks to. The last page explains the seven days of Kwanzaa and provides more information for slightly older students. I read it to grades K-2, and they all seemed to like it.
The illustrations are great: they
Allison Page
Mar 30, 2014 Allison Page rated it really liked it
This story is about a little rabbit who's Kwanzaa is not going how he wants it to go. His granny is sick and cannot make the big feast for the rest of the family. Little rabbit takes matters into his own "paws" and tries to figure out how to make the big feast.

This is a great story to have in a classroom library. It story talks about religion without being offensive in any way. There may be students who can relate to this story and want to learn more.
RC
Dec 04, 2014 RC rated it liked it
Li'l Rabbit's Kwanzaa introduces young readers to the true meaning of Kwanzaa. Li'l Rabbit's Granna Rabbit is sick and so his family will not be celebrating Kwanzaa with the big feast called Karamu. He wants to help but he's too little. With a little help from his friends and family, Li'l Rabbit is able to help more than he thinks. The book also has a section in the back that explains the traditional Kwanzaa terms for readers.
Kaitlyn Craig
Jan 18, 2017 Kaitlyn Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was interesting to me, I did not really know that much about Kwanzaa. I learned some different things from it and at the end page when it talked about the seven principles. I do not know if I would read this aloud to my students though because I would have to explain a lot before it and then they may be confused about the whole thing. Students could read this on their own, but I do not think it is a book I would have in my class.
Millie Simonds
I thought that this book would be a great book to read in order to include different religions around the Christmas holidays. I would think that this book would be appropriate for kindergarten- 3rd grade. I would read this book and then have children draw a picture of what their own Kwanza celebration would be like.
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it it was amazing
Elyce
Dec 19, 2012 Elyce rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Terms were explained in a glossary at the end, but just like all the characters Li'l Rabbit spoke to on his quest, I didn't know what they meant and that is a problem with younger readers. Just a little more explanation would have been helpful.
Brittany Harrington
Dec 12, 2010 Brittany Harrington rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to introduce Kwanzaa to kids that are unfamiliar with the holiday.
Brandy
Apr 12, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
Shelves: diversity
Read this story to your students during the holidays to introduce them to different traditions that are done around the world.
Bethe
Dec 11, 2015 Bethe rated it liked it
nice story of the animals working together to provide a Kwanzaa feast, unbeknownst to Li'l Rabbit. Highlights principles of the holiday in the story, back matter points out specific examples.
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Sep 09, 2011 Emily (Heinlen) Davis rated it it was amazing
It was a cute and informative book. I liked how it taught about Kwanzaa without being obvious about it.
Samantha
Dec 09, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, kwanzaa
A good Kwanzaa story.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
I used this book around the winter holidays to introduce my students to some different cultures. It was cute and informative.
Genesis Trinity
Genesis Trinity rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Taylor Kundel-Gower rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Hannah Beachy
Hannah Beachy rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Lila Brantley
Lila Brantley rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Autumn Kern
Autumn Kern rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Tony DeSimone
Tony DeSimone rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Bethany Spurlin
Bethany Spurlin rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2013
Courtney Mekkes
Courtney Mekkes rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Elizabeth Peterson
Elizabeth Peterson rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016