The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: An All-Canadian Guide to Conception, Birth and Everything in Between

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Whether you?re an expectant parent or you?re just thinking about it, this comprehensive guide features a nonbossy, fresh, and fun approach to the greatest adventure life has to offer. Based on the best advice from over 100 Canadian parents, this information is served up with a uniquely Canadian spin. Never one to shy away from the tough topics, Ann Douglas addresses the co...more
Published December 17th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother of All Pregnancy Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother of All Pregnancy Books

Jenn
This is the first book Ive read on pregnancy. Its a pretty good primer as far as I can tell. We are looking into starting our family which is what prompted me to get this book.

I like the way this is written - it includes excerpts from mothers on nearly every page which helps give a human touch to what can be a very clinical subject

I picked up this book because it was one of the few that had a chapter about "are you ready to have kids?" which is really the main question Ive been asking myself. Do...more
Tara
I really liked that this was a Canadian resource. The author took a no nonsense approach, but did not ever use scare tactics. I found that I trusted the resource at face value, as opposed to other books which I felt I had to take with a grain of salt.
Slayermel
May 26, 2014 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Slayermel by: Midwife
This was a wonderful book, it was full of facts and written by a Canadian for Canadians. This was great as the topics of health care and maternity leave are drastically different between the states and Canada.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was that the author stayed factual and used mothers and pregnant women who had been through various situations to tell you facts as well. Opinions where not shoved at you and various view points where looked at.

This book can be read straight through...more
Lisa
Finally a book that lays it all out in easy to understand terms. While scary at times (who knew your baby had a coat of hair in the womb), it's a pretty informative book that is easy to read and digest. The tone that the author uses is great, very conversational. She is not very technical which is a nice change of pace. Covers a lot of topics, conception, prenatal nutrition, foods and medicines that are bad for the baby and hinder development. Attempts to ease your fears (if that's even possible...more
Kim
This was a great update to the one I previously had. This book (and the others in the series) is extremely well written, informative and enjoyable to read. I love that it is Canadian as i could relate to it so well. While it didn't shy away from the seriousness of some situations that can occur in pregnancy it didn't dwell on them or scare you silly. It is filled with humor and mom stories which is part of what it makes it so enjoyable to read. Totally, recommend it! I also must mention I receiv...more
Elizabeth
Loved this book. So far, I've noticed pregnancy books fall into three categories: the ones telling you how magical it is and use words like 'ancestresses', the 'funny' ones that mainly joke about the presumed uselessness of husbands, and the research based straightforward ones like this one. On controversial decisions (circumcision, midwives) I felt like it gave the research and information on both sides and was very fair, and that all the suggestions were backed up by science and well-defined b...more
Jen
FANTASTIC book. No fear-mongering, open to discussion about midwifery and all aspects of pregnancy and birth, including loss and grieving. DEFINITELY read this book if you are pregnant. The only complaint I have about it is that it is too short. HOWEVER there are other books that can give you any of the information you can't find here. Love the fact that it is Canadian, and thus relevant to me (particularly labour laws and information about birth certificates, etc.).
Chelsea (CrackABook)
I thought this book was brilliant. It comes from a Canadian point of view and had the answers to all of my questions. This books covers topics from both side of the spectrum. The first chapter covers questions and answers that should be addressed before even attempting to get pregnant. It was very informative. Then it continues through to the conception to pregnancy and beyond. This book will be with me throughout the entire process, and I am thankful to have it.
Jessica
Read an out-dated version - really want to read the new one.

This is a great Canadian resource for all things pregnancy and birth-related (and as a bonus, I've heard that the author is from my hometown - Peterborough, ON). I've been borrowing various pregnancy books from the library and testing them out before I buy one for myself - and this one has definitely made the "to own one of my own" list!
Virginia
The best part of this book is that it's a quick and easy reference manual. I particularly liked the charts and lists of pregnancy ailments. That's helpful - especially when you're suffering from one of them and couldn't find it easily in any other pregnancy book!

It's not the week-to-week variety type of book, but still very useful for a quick overview and refresher course!
Leah
I liked this book mainly because it was informative without being preachy. Reading pregnancy books can make you insane. Seriously. "Eat fish or your baby will be stupid!" "Don't eat fish - you'll poison your baby with mercury!"

This one manages to generally tell all sides of the story and still let you make up your own mind.
Kelly
I was looking for a pregnancy book that gives a good overview without being too medicalized, and this one's pretty good. The author is pretty balanced on information about medical versus natural births, breastfeeding, and so on. I'm probably going to purchase this one so I can have it on hand for reference.
I really liked this book. Ann Douglas has a practical, open minded approach to pregnancy and child birth that isn't knee jerk or hysterical like a lot of books out there. I like her week by week chart as well as her chapter on the 8th month and labor and what you really need to buy for your baby.
Lin
The best pregnancy book for Canadian parents, this one covers everything!

I keep it on my bedside table so I can refer to it frequently. I love that I can check my symptoms, find out what I can and can't eat, and get great tips on how to handle pregnancy.

Her other books are also excellent!
Emily
May 25, 2008 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms-to-be
Recommended to Emily by: Friend at work
I really like the voice of this book. It is the only book that makes me feel that just because my body is doing different things than the "norm", I have nothing to fear. The author does a really great job of making the reader feel like pregnancy is unique for every woman and baby.
Micaela
this is the first book I recommend to people when I find out that they're expecting a baby. I love how Ms Douglas' writing feels like you're chatting with an old friend. The information is excellent, she has empathy for expecting parents, and the material never feels dry.
Rachel
I'd recommend this book to anyone who's pregnant or thinking about it. It tells you pretty much anything you might want to know about pregnancy. It's fun to read, too, and has "extras" on in the margins, etc, which gives a nice break from reading the book straight through.
Heather
This book was a borrow from Suzy. It was extremely helpful, especially right away when you find out you are pregnant and do not get a lot of direction from professionals at the hospitals. Highly recommended for the first-timer at pregnancy!
Rebecca
I loved this general reference to pregnancy. Ann provides a great overview on topics preconception to postpartum while leaning toward empowering the mother to make the best decisions for herself.
Tracy
Nov 01, 2007 Tracy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pregnant women
I read a lot of books when I was pregnant, and I enjoyed this one the best. Because the author quotes real women, the anecdotes make the book fun to read and informational at the same time.
Kristin
Excellent book, full of all kinds of pregnancy information that I never even knew existed. This is the only book you will ever need when it comes to pregnancy!
Katy W
Perfect tone - not too dense but contains good information. Nice sense of humour without being patronizing or ridiculous. Nice to have Canada-specific info.
Sheena
Loved this book for anyone thinking about having children of if you are already pregnant! I really liked the information and it was a fun read.
Andrea Nair
If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, I recommend reading this one. Fabulous, evidence-based, helpful Canadian information.
I really liked this one the first time around with Chloe and I have referred back to it several times during this pregnancy too.
Tia Crane
This was my favorite. Everything I was wondering is at the very least addressed. I will re-read this time and time again!
Kelli
It was wonderful to find a book with references to the Canadian health care system.
Arctic
best pregnancy book of the bunch. easy to read, and well indexed.
Loni
I felt like this book was very informative and easy to read.
Mona
A must read for anyone expecting a baby !!
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • From the Hips: A Comprehensive, Open-Minded, Uncensored, Totally Honest Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, and Becoming a Parent
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
Ann Douglas is the author of numerous books about pregnancy and parenting and the creator of The Mother of All Books series:

The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: (2nd US edition, July 2012 and 2nd Canadian edition, June 2011)
The Mother of All Baby Books
The Mother of All Toddler Books
The Mother of All Parenting Books and
The Mother of All Pregnancy Organizers.

Ann speaks at conferences related to...more
More about Ann Douglas...
The Mother of All Baby Books Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss The Mother of All Toddler Books The Unofficial Guide to Having a Baby Sleep Solutions for Your Baby, Toddler and Preschooler: The Ultimate No-Worry Approach for Each Age and Stage