Start by marking “Stuck in the 70's” as Want to Read:
Stuck in the 70's

Stuck in the 70's

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  16 reviews
One night in 1978, Tyler Gray wakes up to find a beautiful girl named Shay lying in his bathtub. For inexperienced, nerdy Tyler, this is not a common occurrence, but it’s even stranger because Shay insists that she’s from 2006. Of course Tyler doesn’t believe her, but once she proves it, they strike a deal: Tyler will try to help get Shay back to 2006 if Shay helps him bec...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stuck in the 70's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuck in the 70's

Greg Fishbone
Tanya
I can't remember the last time (if ever) I read a book in one day. But this was a super quick and easy read... just a bit of brain candy. The premise was made for fun - one night in 2006, 17 year old wild-child Shay passes out in a Jacuzzi and wakes up in 1978. What ensues, including plenty of culture shock moments, is funny and sweet... and worth a read.
Alison
I was hopeful when I picked up this book. Hopeful because the author took a hit-or-miss concept-a high school girl accidentally traveling back in time to the 70's and influencing the lives of the people she meets there- and wrote a book about it. I think this story really shines, with well-rounded characters and an interesting setting. While I was not alive in the 1970's, the references are woven in and not blatantly obvious. There are some plotholes, though, which I beleive could have been easi...more
Sabriena

Shay is a spoiled rich girl from the year 2006 who has some waking up to do. Naturally, Tyler doesn't believe that Shay is from the future until his father announces that the pope has died, which she told him earlier he would.

I really enjoyed reading how Shay changes and becomes more open to learning things such as physics and becoming a better person. Shay also helps out more than just Tyler become more popular. She helps out his sister, Muriel which was her housekeeper in 2006 and Tyler's mom...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I was on memory road while reading this book.

Garfinkle has nailed the seventies. Since I was in college and high school at the time, I remembered many of the references that were mentioned. I was also blown away about how many things that I take for granted were not around then. For today's teens, though, this book is great!

Shay is a high school student in 2006. She is burned out with life and spends her days skipping school, getting high, and hav...more
Rugo
Sep 14, 2011 Rugo added it
Stuck in the 70’s
In the novel, Stuck in the 70’s, you’ll meet the story of an average high school kid, Tyler who finds a girl, who mysteriously ends up in his bathtub, and is also a high school student, but from a different time. The structure of this book has a science fiction setting which explores the meanings and understandings of these two societies among the generational differences. The main character struggles to make the correct decisions in his life in order to become the person he wa...more
Von
The book was good.
Fairbairn
Jul 27, 2010 Fairbairn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teenagers
This book was a fun read that put the differences between the 1970s and the 2000s in an understandable perspective. Although there was some objectionable content (starting with the first sentence), the main character's overall change from selfish brat to compassionate friend redeemed the book. Equivalent to a late-night sitcom, I recommend this book to a mature audience.
Linda
Story of an 18 year old high school girl who falls asleep in her boyfriend's bathtub in 2006 and wakes up in someone else's bathtub in 1978.

The book has an interesting premise, but left me disappointed at the end. It's a lot of fun revisiting some of the 70's culture, but the story is not that spellbinding.
Katie
I thought the book was pretty accurate about how the 70's was (not that I would know--it just seemed like it portrayed it accurately, based on what I've seen in history books and documentaries and fictional media set in the time period).
Tony
It's a funny book about a materialistic, promiscuous girl time warped all the way to 1978. Think Paris Hilton forced to live with a slightly dysfunctional Brady Bunch.
Angie
Groovy! I still don't quite understand the time-travel mechanism used here, but the characters and overall storyline make it seem unimportant. A cute read.
Jocelyn
tis book is bout a girl ho travels back in time 2 the house of a dork dude who has problems in his social life.
Susan
There should be a law against this much funny. Seriously! Very good. Wish it was longer.
Patrick
The original hot tub time machine! The end was kind of disappointing.
MrSweet
it was good , but i would really recomend it for mature audiences
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Fallon Foca
Fallon Foca marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I live in Southern California with my husband and three children and cute Boston terrier. I majored in economics at Brandeis University in Massachusetts and have a law degree from UC Berkeley. I'm the author of five young adult novels and fourteen humorous children's books, with six more children's books in the pipeline. I write under the names D.L. Garfinkle, Debra Garfinkle, and D.L. Green.
More about Debra Garfinkle...
Storky: How I Lost My Nickname and Won the Girl Trading Guys Holding On Finding Love (The Band) Zeke Meeks Vs. the Putrid Puppet Pals