Start by marking “Raising Confident Readers: How to Teach Your Child to Read and Write--from Baby to Age 7” as Want to Read:

Raise a Child Who Loves to Read

How do kids really learn to read? And how can you encourage interest in reading and writing from the start? In Raising Confident Readers, based on the five phases of literacy development, Dr. J. Richard Gentry provides fun and easy ways to teach your child to read and write successfully.

When it comes to language, the most critical brain
Published July 13th 2010 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Raising Confident Readers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Confident Readers

Jill
Jan 15, 2012 Jill rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents/Educators/Childcare Providers
I have found this book to be one of the most helpful early reading education books I've read. Though I didn't agree with the author's age frames for reaching reading readiness milestones (I thought they were too rigid), I found most of the milestones themselves great tools by which to measure how children are progressing in reading readiness. I found many great ideas to use with my kids to prepare them for reading - fun ideas. For instance, the author emphasizes the importance of learning to wri ...more
Stephanie
Jul 30, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
Excellent book that should be on every parent's reading list. Gentry carefully puts together phases of literacy and describes each one in extensive detail.

I loved the way this book was broken down. Instead of saying a child should be doing something by a certain age, Gentry uses phases. This allows parents to focus on where their kids are without stressing about what is "expected" of them. I also appreciated the emphasis on writing and phonics. There is a lot of good information on the importanc
Courtney
Apr 17, 2016 Courtney rated it liked it
I picked this up because my almost 7-year-old is really struggling learning to read, despite being read to for hours on end, plenty of work on letter sounds, writing, and various methods of encouraging reading. On the one hand, there are some very helpful tactics and techniques presented in the book that I do intend to try, and it was interesting to read the authors breakdown of stages of reading. However, it also made me feel like it's entirely my fault that my daughter can't read, and made it ...more
Deborah
Dec 13, 2012 Deborah added it
Recommends it for: Jen
Shelves: non-fiction
Gentry believes that parents have the responsibility to teach their children early literacy skills. Rather than give ages for different literacy skill milestones, he offers four phases, listing skills a young child masters in each phase before moving to the next. The skills and tips for helping children reach those skills are ones that I've read in several other places. I like that Gentry encourages parents to keep reading fun and proceed based on a child's abilities. Recommend for parents look ...more
May 10, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, education
My kids are beyond the baby stage when I picked up this book, and we read a LOT in our house. That said, I found the reading level assessment to be extremely helpful, and I will be trying to implement some of the activities and games with my older kids. I find this to be a helpful companion resource to the phonics program my kids are doing at their preschool (and reinforced at home).
Leslie
Jun 23, 2011 Leslie rated it did not like it
As the mother of a 15 month old, I didn't find this bok very useful. Perhaps the practical methods to teach your child to read and write would be well applied for a 4 or 5 year old, but the idea of pushing a child under the age of three into flash cards and sight words seems slightly out of control to me.
Alissa
Aug 16, 2014 Alissa rated it really liked it
Excellent resources guide with tons of easy, practical things to do to encourage reading and writing. I had never realized the importance of drawing/scribbling/writing in developing literacy and we have added lots of drawing time into our routine since I've read this book. Might need to purchase as I only read through the first two phases since that's where my girls are.
Teresa
Jul 19, 2011 Teresa rated it it was ok
A few helpful ideas, but overall I thought this book made the whole process of reading unnecessarily complicated. He made it sound like there's a "right" and a "wrong" way to read a book to an infant, and you'd mess your child up for life if you chose incorrectly.
Amy
Jul 31, 2012 Amy rated it liked it

Good resource when teaching kids to read. It wasn't all new to me but had some good ideas and things I hadn't thought of.
Sep 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Excellent source in helping your child to read and being able to do so. Simple lessons and games to help child learn.
Julie
Jan 21, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Loved it! So many great ideas! I'm going to start using them with my two younger kids!!

Giordahno
Nov 15, 2013 Giordahno rated it liked it
its an alright guide
Irina Dmitrenko
Jul 30, 2011 Irina Dmitrenko rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-parenting
Though I agree with early literacy development philosophy, I disagree with flash cards for infants. Valuable info on stages of early literacy development.
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2011
Mary Krueger
Mary Krueger rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Christel
Christel rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Beyond the Pages
Resource book
Jennifer Chapman
Jennifer Chapman rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2014
Bella
Bella rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2011
E-Lisa Potgieter
E-Lisa Potgieter rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Jessica Garlick
Jessica Garlick rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Marcia
Marcia rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Heather Marshall
Heather Marshall rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Spencer
Spencer rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Chely
Chely rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Dragana
Phonics vs. whole word reading, page 33
Hilary Friedman
Hilary Friedman rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2015
Qoka
Qoka rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Jessica Blackwell
Jessica Blackwell rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015