Start by marking “Secrets of the Vine Bible Study: Breaking Through to Abundance” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Vine Bible Study: Breaking Through to Abundance

Secrets of the Vine Bible Study: Breaking Through to Abundance

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  10,102 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
In the Secrets of the Vine Bible Study, Bruce Wilkinson shows groups or individual readers how the three Secrets of the Vine introduced in the bestselling book are supported throughout Scripture, applying sound biblical insight to help them move toward making maximum impact for God. This Bible study provides a personal encounter with the life-changing teaching of Jesus in ...more
Published May 12th 2010 by Multnomah (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Vine Bible Study, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Atlantis
Oct 27, 2012 Atlantis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I could not finish this book, I thought there were a lot of things the author was writing was just wrong and I felt like the whole metaphor of the vines and pruning were just overdone and made the message that much more confusing. I don't think that God is trying to keep secrets from me, I believe (to quote Fr Barron) that God has loved us all into existence and He loves us just the way we are-we are the ones that have to let God in and through our free will accept what he wants for us.
Nino Guarisco
Jan 12, 2011 Nino Guarisco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will rarely give a book "five stars", but this one is deserving. Bruce does a phenomenal job describing the various seasons of life we go through as disciples of Christ. By looking at John 15, the author describes four different "seasons of fruit bearing". No fruit, fruit, more fruit and much fruit. Are you a relatively new follower of Christ? This book is a must read. Have you been serving Christ for several years, experienced much fruit in your life, but now feel like there's a ceiling over ...more
Stephanie Blake
Aug 18, 2010 Stephanie Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped my understanding of what Jesus was saying in John 15. I especially appreciated Bruce's conversation with a vineyard owner and his explanation of why the new vines often need to be lifted up off the ground and cleaned. Often John 15:2 is translated "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away," but "takes away" can also be translated as "takes up" or "lifts up." That picture makes sense.
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 Christopher M. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to his treatment of Scripture in "The Prayer of Jabez" Wilkinson seems to have almost no inkling about how and why the Bible was written, or how it ought to be applied to our lives today. Indeed, the goal IS to get to application, but only after we understand what the text would have meant to the writer and original audience. Instead of demonstrating to the reader that he has this knowledge, he imposes his own perception of "abundance" on the text, rather than letting Scripture interpret ...more
Kari
Dec 30, 2008 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book after a small group discussion about the difference between God's punishment and bad things happening just because we live in a fallen world.

This little book has some big truths in it, and I would recommend it to any Christian.

Wilkinson talks about the vine/branches passage in John 15 and it is very eye-opening. Here are the three "secrets" he discusses:

#1 If your life consistently bears no fruit, God will intervene to discipline you. (Fruit being anything of eternal value in
Valerie
Aug 14, 2012 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The assertion by the author that God is pruning you by causing bad things to happen to you due to your sin, is quite frankly, insulting and demeaning. I had hoped that kind of thinking had died out with the Puritans. Yes, we will all go through trials, because all have sinned and fallen short, but to imply that getting cancer (as one example) is because of the magnitude of your sin is ridiculous. Do not read this book.
Michael Peterson
Love this book about Abiding in God's love and recognizing God's discipline in our lives. John 15
Lucky
Feb 22, 2009 Lucky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth reading over and over again. It makes a walk with Jesus so much more functional and fulfilling.
Chenley Cabaluna
I am into spiritual stuff also so I am stocking up more more more spiritual book. :)) Spiritual stuff are life changing, perspective broadening and you can't just put it into words but you feel enlightened. Like you're connected to the Source or to God or to Whatever you call it. I love this year. So much learning is bestowed upon me and I'm not even worthy lol. Before this year, I am into "my-religion-is-the-best-attitude" then I went to "Do God even exist" to "Is there any God at all?" and if ...more
L.S.
Apr 15, 2009 L.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A aduce roadă nu înseamnă doar a aduce oameni la Cristos. Roada sau fructul este orice lucru bun pe care credinciosul îl trăieşte – fie gând, atitudine sau acţiune, care au valoare înaintea lui Dumnezeu pentru că Îi aduc glorie. Fructul este acel rod al Duhului Sfânt care te face mai asemănător lui Cristos. "Dar roada Duhului este dragostea, bucuria, pacea, răbdarea, bunătatea, generozitatea, credinţa, blândeţea, înfrânarea. (Galateni 5:22)"

Don’t compare your progress to anything or anyone but
Sara
Sep 20, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great little book. not as good as Prayer of Jabez, but still excellent lessons fir Christians. It is a study on John 15 and Wilkinson has included 3 principles to apply to one's life: discipling, pruning, and abiding. I was inspired enough to choose 'abiding' as my word for 2016!
Tara
Mar 01, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book at least 3 times. It was life changing the first time that I read it and I continue to grow and transform each time that I read it.
Lori Ingram
Nov 11, 2014 Lori Ingram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book... not as much as Prayer of Jabez, but it is equally as powerful.
Jesse Jaeger
Aug 07, 2013 Jesse Jaeger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD book but not nearly as popular because Bruce goes into what kind of life God expects His children to live.
Todd Coburn
Feb 04, 2017 Todd Coburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
This book is tiny, beautiful, and easy to read. It presents bite-sized ideas on remaining connected to Christ using simple, clear language. A great bookshelf Keepsake, and a simple yet solid reference. A great addition to the library of any following Jesus Christ.
Enoch
May 10, 2017 Enoch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to read today
Naomi
Mar 07, 2017 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
It was a recommended read. Simple enough to easily get through but with enough valid points to make you think and self evaluate. The ending has some good points worth writing down to remember to help yourself abide in Christ. Author's personal experience added to the understanding of that sometimes distant feeling we get from God, even though you study and pray daily. And he gives advice on how to move past that and into abdunance in your relationship with Christ.
Jeanette
"...what God wants from me - a fruitful harvest for Him." (15)

"[Fruit in the Bible doesn't mean evangelism only] ...fruit symbolized the best result or sweetest prize in life." (20)

"The fruit from your life is how God receives His due honor on earth . . . You bear inner fruit when you allow God to nurture in you a new, Christlike quality... You bear outward fruit when you allow God to work through you to bring Him glory." (21)

"'New branches have a natural tendency to trail down and grow along th
Heidi Archer
Oct 04, 2016 Heidi Archer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
one star because I love gardening visuals and poetry. other than that, this book seems like a "pray and believe correctly, then God will show you secrets for your life." ugh.
Jun 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
A good short book about how to start bearing fruit or bear more fruit for our Lord, both inwardly (our character issues) and outwardly (bringing people to Christ). It has a great chart about the difference of the seasons of disciplining or pruning to understand whether God is trying to help us overcome sin issues or correcting our values. Author Wilkinson acknowledges that either way, it is a very painful process. However, the less we struggle with God the faster the process is & the more fr ...more
Erlyn Trinidad
Feb 24, 2012 Erlyn Trinidad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance is beyond a beautiful read. I thank the Lord for this book, in the same way I am grateful for the Mr. Wilkinson's other book - The Prayer of Jabez. The spiritual truths and insights in this book has been instrumental in making me learn about what it is like to break through from daily routines and devotions that feel rather empty and more of a chore in the past.

Today, whenever I see a bunch of grapes, I see more than just a juicy and succulent
BONDing over BOOKS
"Growth comes from building on talents, gifts and strengths - not by solving problems."* Most people want to live a fruitful, abundant life, but don't want to do the work. In SECRETS OF THE VINE -Breaking Through to Abundance by Bruce Wilkinson, he explains the "secrets."

Although this book is written from a Christian perspective the principles can be applied to non-Christian people and situations. Every person has baggage and/or regrets, however more times than we realize we have opportunities t
Brother Fred Jaxheimer
This was a great book to read during Holy Week. In my humble opinion, it is sad that the Gospel of John Chapter 15 is not included in the Holy Week worship readings or the Common Lectionary even though the teaching of Jesus on the Father as the Vinedresser and He as the Vine and the four levels of fruit bearing or fruitfulness were a teaching to the disciples as they journeyed from the Lord's Supper and the Garden where Jesus was handed over. Yes, some would argue we can not cover it all during ...more
Jane
Oct 03, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our womens group read this book. Very good book. Loved the details and explanations he provided for defining John 15. I love the picture you visualize as the vineyard is explained. How branches are lifted up off the ground as they start to grow along the ground because fruit doesn't grow there. The gardener will water them and wash them off. Then they start to grow and thrive!

Isn't that just like God in our lives? When we stumble and fall...he will lift us back up and clean us off....then we st
Debbie Phillips
Dec 31, 2012 Debbie Phillips rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure I would recommend it
I finished this book this morning. I am still not sure what to say about it. I have mixed feelings. Circumstances are hard for me right now. This book seemed to put me on a guilt trip instead of convicting me. I made me wonder more about God and our circumstances and where he is taking us. It made me wonder if I am STILL in a 11 1/2 year trial because of sin, because of God's pruning, or neither of the above. Some of it seems very legalistic. Sometimes it made me doubt God and myself, though he ...more
Jodi
Nov 24, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Hartman
Jan 14, 2013 Philip Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I read this book at a time in my life when this was the message I need to hear, so for me it altered my perspective on struggles in life. It opened my mind and my heart to the whole idea that sometimes God allows us to suffer or struggle in some way to help us grow stronger to serve His purpose in the future. If we are "bearing fruit" we may be pruned so that we may "bear more fruit". I consider this a must read for any Christian.
Angela Webster
Jul 27, 2014 Angela Webster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read this book around the time it came out in 2001 but was prompted to read it again when my Sunday School teacher mentioned it recently. As with so many of the best Christian books, this one seemed much meatier to me this time and I got so much more out of it! May try to make a point of rereading this every year. (I think it helped that I recently saw some vineyards, so I had a great picture of the parables being shared in the book.)
Ron
Not abundance as the world--and some Christians--define it.

In some way a better book than his more famous The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking Through to the Blessed Life. Certainly rests on a firmer foundation scripturally.

Takeway: "Apart from [Jesus] you can do nothing."
Danielle Williams
I wish I could say I enjoyed this book, but I really can't. I expected so much more from this book, given that everyone who knows about it raves about it. It had an interesting premise, but there was so much conjecture and lack of concrete research that I found myself doubting what I read and doing my own research to draw my own conclusions. That's not exactly what you want when you read a devotional. Instead of encouraging me it only made me doubt my own relationship with God.
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • Amplified Bible
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • Peace with God: The Secret of Happiness
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Name
  • Woman, Thou Art Loosed!: Healing the Wounds of the Past
  • Spirit-Controlled Temperament
  • Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds
  • The Mystery of God's Will
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer Is Right Under Your Nose
  • The Search For Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • The Bait Of Satan: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense
Bruce Wilkinson is recognized as one of the world's foremost Christian teachers and speakers. But he is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 bestseller, The Prayer of Jabez, and other bestsellers including A Life God Rewards, Secrets of the Vine, and The Dream Giver. He is the founder of WorldTeach, a global initiative to train Bible teachers in every nation. Wilkinson also founded Dr ...more
More about Bruce H. Wilkinson...

“God didn’t want me to do more for Him. He wanted me to be more with Him.” 1 likes
“Lord, let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am.” 0 likes